Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

We may get a dusting of the stuff...snow...it turned windy this morning and cold this afternoon. Picked the last of the kale and found 2 heads of broccoli...should be sweet and tasty.

Had a busy weekend...spent cleaning the house a bit. We scored cows on Monday. Had the appraiser here for lunch before he scored, and supper afterwards. Good results with 2 more Excellent 90 point cows and a 90 raised to 91. Then last week I bought a cupboard on sale for the sewing room...to fit it in I had to shift other pieces around. Had to empty them out before I could move them, so now trying to put stuff away...you know how it is...you have to make a mess to clean...Will keep plugging away at it.

Had guild on Monday night afterwards. Tuesday after work went to Emily's BB game.. Wed I went to QBuddy's to sew. We are working on a 4" quilt block sampler..taking us a long time to get the blocks sewn...

When QBuddy and I were at a show I found a pattern for men's gloves...the work gloves MrOK wears in winter are so poorly made I thought I'd give these a try..they use fleece...found enough scrap fleece to make a pair...have one done and now to finish the other hand...have more fleece I can use for more pairs, but wanted to see how they went together before I got too excited about making more. So far the one hand has passed the fit test...then to see how well they wear.

dublb...glad to see daily improvement...one day at a time. It does put stress on every one though..glad you got some sew time in.

JuneBillie....been hearing about the fires..take care.

Better get that other glove done...
Old 11-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

So sorry to hear about the droughts, fires and other trials. AT LEAST THE ELECTION IS OVER! I am happy every day about that. God has been merciful. He will continue to be gracious and merciful to us! Everyone stay safe. I've heard about snow storms so bad they caused all kinds of traffic accidents... I hope there's no snow like that in your areas. JuneBillie, stay inside. Hope the fires end soon. We all need so much rain to catch up.

I've been having fun quilting my Boom swap blocks, one by one. I decided to quilt them in the Quilt As You Go method, so I can do a different design on each one. I did 6 last night, out of 30. Can't wait to get them done and join them. This is only my second try at QAYG. My first was the Row by Row quilt from this 2016 summer.

Well, it's been decided that we will go to Memphis to have Thanksgiving at my daughter's house this year. First time it's not here! But it really will be easier on me. I'll be cooking some casseroles soon and freezing them so they are easy to transport. Even the doggie gets to go.

Bev, I agree that walking will really help your Mom. Hope you can get her to do it. She might actually love how she feels. Walking improves the mental capacity, too. Not only from the increased circulation, but also because it's a left-brain, right-brain activity. She'll be sharper! So glad she's doing better now.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

Hope those of you in the snow stay safe. I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving.

My youngest sister invited us to her house for the first time for Thanksgiving. This will be her first year without being able to see mom or dad for Christmas, and her and her husband don't have kids like the rest of us. His dad had also passed away this past year. We have had so many deaths in our families.

Hopefully the fires will be out, and not a bunch of smoke in the air.

Sewbizgirl I am glad the election is over too.

Have any of you heard of the replica of "Noah's Ark" ? It's in Kentucky close to Ohio. Well anyway my son and daughter in law are taking us there with them in December for our Christmas Gift. We are excited to see it all. We will be treated to all lunch and dinners too. It will be so nice going with them.

My daughter in law is wanting me to make her a bunch of pot holders for Christmas. She has a lot of country blue in her kitchen, but also would like to have some for all seasons of the year. She wants them quilted so I better get busy. lol...My son wants my husband to make him a video of some things with my dad and mom before they passed away with the whole family. My husband has some ideas for some other things to go along with it. I also have some ideas to go along with her pot holders. They both are such a blessing to us.

My husband's birthday is on Christmas Day, my son's birthday is Dec 21, and my daughter in law's birthday is Jan 2 so it's a busy time for me. Lord help me to get through it all.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

JuneBillie, those sound like some great holiday plans! Enjoy your family!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:33 AM

My whole message just disappeared completely Wonder what I did???????

Dh raised purple sweet potatoes and they yielded:[ATTACH=CONFIG]562425[/ATTACH] will be very tasting at Thanksgiving time. Just us so far, for all the Holidays coming up. I try to cook something special for each one.

And the Wild Flying Geese are flying the right way now, have the positive and negative block made:[ATTACH=CONFIG]562426[/ATTACH] There are to be ten of each in the quilt.

Good news all around with Christmas plans of travel and Ok's dairy cows scoring high. Time is passing by, much too quickly for me. Seems like days ago the New Year started, and now we are almost ready to turn up another year. Wow. Where has time gone?? Give your loved ones an extra hug, and enjoy each day coming up at the end of this year.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0729.jpg   dscn0732.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful sweet potatoes and flying geese blocks, QNS... I didn't know sweet potatoes came in purple. Does the purple disappear when you cook them, like purple snap beans?

OK forgot to congratulate you on your high scoring cows. You know how to raise them!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

If anyone is interested in my Boom blocks being quilted-as-I-go, I posted the first 10 here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...80962-119.html
Old 11-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link SBG....lovely blocks...

Taters look good.....

I've spent the morning in the office going through the stack of monthly bills...now to pay them...meanwhile in the barn, one of my cows was calving...an older cow with twins...MrOK investigated and called vets for assistance...three hours later, two vets and ob assistant DIL..two large dead calves. Not only were they backwards, their legs were all jumbled and was hard to decided which legs to use to reposition the calves for delivery...poor girl...hopefully she recuperates...

Back to the office....
Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Oh, so sorry about the calves.... How hard to lose not one but both! Hope the mama is ok.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Yes, the Sweet potatoes are purple, usually takes 18 months to mature, so they are a tropical plant. Their favor is so wonderful, they surpass what yams and sweet potatoes are sold by grocery stores here or what we can raise. Found in special markets across the South, and in large cities with Korea or SW Asian foods.

I took a peak at your quilt-as-you-go, SBG. and left a comment there. Sigh, I could do that well, I would be very happy indeed.