Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 01-01-2015, 07:13 AM

Good for you, Carrie. I know you will enjoy every inch of the new space, and will arise to use every inch of it. We ladies usually can fill our homes up to the roof tops where ever we live.

It was hard to down size, retiring into a smaller home than before. But finally, I am slowly gaining on the quilt room, turning fabric into quilts, wall hangings, etc. Especially, since I am not adding new fabrics to it by the $$$ three digit number figures.a Finishing those two wall hangings and I SPY small quilt has left some scraps behind, but they are contained into to small tubs. Now progress on TW is going soooooo slow...making two hundred four piece squares for the corners of all the fifty fifty-four forty stars. One stitch at a time. Enough for four rows done; it has 11 rows in it. But it does not help to cut half of a strip the wrong length. LOL! Measure twice and cut once! Lining up the other projects to finish also. that's my goal for this new year, finish each one...but there are a lot of them. Sigh. But I can see to do them and that is very good news after all of last year's trials...which are behind me, not in front of me. One step at a time...and no tripping myself.

May the day be special for each of you. Ok, I love quiet boring days without any great excitement to catch my breath, and catch up on things from the back burner. It really helps to rest and take things as they come in life. Granny QNS says so. Now to figure out the cost of 50 young Cornish chickens, and raising them to the five or six pound size per bird. And the time it takes. Its been a while since we have done so. And times have changed so much. As we look at the good food in our house, I know to give thanks to the great farmers in our home lands for all their work, especially the family farmers.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Happy New Year to all! Honchey, I hope you are feeling better and looking less like a racoon!

Sounds like Beverly will be shopping for a new iron--we all need a backup. I've been enjoying the old GE I acquired when #3 son closed his house. Not sure how easy it is to find older irons even in second-hand shops.

Carrie, you will love the extra space so enjoy making it a warmer space. Do you have plans for the "club house"?

QNS..chickens, think DIL didn't save by raising hers, but she likes knowing where her food comes from. Remember how much work it is to get them into the freezer. Raising them is the easy part IMHO.

So Jan, what are you going to do today? I'd like to think sewing is on your list of to do's.

Remember my jar of 1.5" 9P's? I have a plan...now that I have connecting pieces cut I'm going to sew..... so like Jan says, do what you love today.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 AM

Hi Everyone, I think that it all started when I was in DE..I wasn't feeling up to par..it seems that I had a weakness in my shoulders that would creep up to my neck and then I had to sit down...I thought that I was just using muscles that were kind of retired...I had a mild achiness and now that I'm on the mend I don't have any of that anymore...I still have wheezing in my chest..it sounds like screeching violins when I lay down...I'm thinking I may have had a mild case of the flu...I got my flu shot in October but they say that they may have chosen the wrong strains ...so even tho you may have had the flu shot..it won't work as well as previous years.. I will attempt to do some sewing today...I will also start to make some pea soup...have a ham bone that needs to be used..bought the peas last week... Take it easy all of you...I know I am H.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:50 PM

We enjoyed our black eyed peas, baby spinach greens wilted, and thin sliced ham for lunch today.

Watched the parade, cheered when Midland HS, TX, marched by, staying in step and playing a delightful song.

Made enough four piece blocks to do another two rows...6 out of 11 rows done now.

Yes, Ok, I do remember all the work of raising fryers, and freezing or canning the numerous birds. Oldest daughter helped clean as we did 25 each day and swore she would never raise a chicken to process! We are still in the planning stages of it by committee, so progress to agree will be slower than molasses in the winter! LOL! I have this feeling that the $$$ it will cost per bird will veto the idea in the end. And the order I will be ordering will be all laying hens. Not that they are profitable, but its nice having fresh eggs daily. (in the fall and spring and summer) Again, I may cut back to three or four hens in my Hen Pen. DH has said 'No goats!' so there goes that idea.

Saving my fun money to spend at the Hickory Park in Ames,Iowa, for everyone and not for fabric this month. And thinking it might be great to use my 1930 reproduction fabric in the upcoming Farmer's Wife Quilt in May since I am not making the DJ quilt. Something to consider doing without buying any more fabric.

Very happy to hear you are feeling better, Honchey. Just don't be in a rush to do any foot racing yet.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:02 PM

#2DSon is sick taday. I hope it is just a stomach bug.
I do have a couple o' back up irons. I just loved that this last one would turn itself off when it had sat too long but gave ma enough time ta git back ta it if I was usin' it over & over. I'm afraid that the next one will turn off too soon. DH said that he'd look at it but wasn't sure if it could be fixed as I had let the smoke out. Smart Alek!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Sue I knew that Midland Lee marched in the Rose Bowl Parade but didn't know that Midland High marched in a parade. Which one did they march in? DH & I went ta Lee but our kids went ta Midland High.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Dublb, I think it was Mildland Lee that marched today that I seen. I watched it on HGTV with out ads, so I seen more parade without the commercial breaks. The name 'Midland' just jumped out at me.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 PM

Hooray for Lee High. I graduated from there in 1980! Met DH there in '78.
I actually cheer for both High schools!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 AM

Good morning. Sitting here watching an ice storm out my window--my car looks like a glazed donut, the streets are covered, numerous accidents shown on tv and most highways impassable. We haven't had any snow this month but I'd much rather have snow than ice. It's supposed to last a few more hours. Hopefully people will stay home. I hope my electricity doesn't go out but the wires are already coated.

Want to try to finish my Medallion quilt top today; got that pesky extra 1/2" worked out. Just need to piece and add the final borders. Then its hockey (the Penguins play at 7pm) and the big football game (Steelers playoff game at 8:15). The remote control will be on overdrive tonight! A good day to stay inside. Have a great day, ladies, stay warm & safe.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:53 AM

We had a terrible ice storm last night. I have tree branches fallin' all over. This whole town has a ton o' damaged trees. I am worried about my roof. There is one huge branch that is sittin' in my roof. I don't know if it is damaged yet or not. Everything is thawin' out taday but damaged branches are fallin' all over the place!