Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 368 of 542 FirstFirst ... 268 318 358 367 368 369 378 418 468 ... LastLast
Results 9,176 to 9,200 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    Mirab, I love all the quilts that you and DD did but my favorite is the ABC quilt. What fun you two must have together! She sounds so much like you and your Energizer Bunniness!!! Is there room for one more in her guest room?
    Jan always room for friends
    Karen

My Oh My MiraB ... you and DD sure were busy!
    Will these be for your charity quilts to the hospital? Some real special ones there. I couldn't help but SMILE at the Sesame Street one ... perfect combo of fabrics and border choice. Oh dear at DH's reaction to his quilt ... I guess it shows his love for it though, as he wanted to take such tender care of it! Be sure to take a BIG suitcase on the 8th!!! Curious ... did you start your DD sewing as a wee one? or when did she get the bug?

Honchey ... good that you have allowed your knee some recovery time! What did you have the allergic reaction to? ... not good!

Further to my question to MiraB about her DDs start into sewing ............ when/how did everyone here learn to sew??

Me? ... as a kid, Mom let me sew ... Not sure what age, but I am guessing I sewed before I was six. First projects were to sew squares together to make a dolly quilt. Of course, no nesting of seams back then ... sewed them in twos, then two sets of twos then joined the fours to 8s, and so on. And if the seams did not match .... I HAD to rrrrrrip it out! And always did crafts, needlework and crochet, again from a young age. In high school and thru to my early years of marriage I made most of my own clothes, including a coat and my wedding dress. Never made any quilts ... nor saw them being made. Then with the busy-ness of working off-farm and on-farm, my time for sewing became almost non-existent! I did get back to it about 25 yrs ago for a bit ... and made my first quilt!! Then life changed again, and another interruption. This time ... I think I have been back for about six yrs and, the rest of the story ........... you know!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 04-29-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Wow what a great question for all of us to share QuiltE

Well I was raised by my Grandmother and she tried (in vain) to teach me to sew, in the end I was not allowed to touch her treadle machine for fear of breaking it I would dearly love to have that machine today. But she did teach me how to knit and crochet and embroidery, even though I was left handed and she was right handed. I tried to make my childrens clothes when they were small but was not very successful. Then DH and I moved to the Northern Territory and there was not much to do in that small town. But there was a sewing shop and she had classes on stretch sewing so I took some classes and made my kids t-shirts and tracksuits.
    Then I heard of a patchwork class with the local craft group and signed up out of sheer boredom, I had a sewing machine (hadn't learnt how to use it properly in 10 years but that was ok) My first quilt was a Biscuit quilt and I worked on it every Sunday afternoon, my kids would stuff the pockets for me as I sewed.
    Then I bought a patchwork book, Log Cabin in a Day by Eleanor Burns, took me 6 weeks to make that quilt for my son. and as they say in the classics I WAS HOOKED.
    I went on to become Secretary/Treasurer of the Craft group and we would pay for tutors to visit our town and teach classes, so over the years I have learnt, EggArtistry, Silk Dyeing, Bobbin Lace Work, Decoupage but always came back to patchwork. It's a long story but we had our own Craft Room, rent and electricity free, some Government funding to help run it, and when I left we had over 60 members
    In 1989 we had a visiting tutor by the name of Pauline Rogers come to town and that is when my downhill slide into addiction really took place. Pauline came to Tennant Creek every year for the next 5 years and taught us so much. Starting with basic patchwork, applique, making jackets and vests, stained glass and lots more. In 1991 my DD wanted to come with me to class and I said she was too young (she was only 8) but Pauline said "let her come" and by the end of that weekend my DD had learnt how to draw up templates, use a rotary cutter, cut out her patches and had made a set of cushions. (our home almost became over run with cushions) From that weekend we have always sewn together, sharing my sewing machine until she was 10 when she got her own machine for her birthday, no more arguments on whose turn it was

Pauline is still touring and teaching around Australia and New Zealand and DD and I catch up with her whenever she is in the area. She remains a very close friend to both of us..

I am still addicted unfortunately there is no health program for me to attend and I wouldn't go anyway. I love spending my days in my sewing room playing with fabric.

Now back to sewing the binding on Spike
    Karen

A great question indeed QuiltE!

My mom had always had a sewing machine, and I have very fond memories of my grandmother at her old Singer. In fact, my grandmother made my wedding dress!

I took my first sewing class in Home Economics in the 9th grade. I took more classes in High School, even took a tailoring class (we had to make a suit). I remember making those straight skirts that we wore in high school with 1 yard of wool fabric, of course we had to line the seat with a taffeta type material (don't remember what it was really). It was the era also of those full gathered skirts with tons of petticoats to make them stand out. Gosh what memories! I remember making those full skirts too. My best friend's mom use to make her circular skirts. I just thought they looked so great, but was too young at the time to make them my self. I remember embroidering at a young age. I did pillow cases for the house!

My quilting began with an ad in a local paper about a quilting class at a high school at night in around 1978. I was looking for a new hobby, and had a 1962 Singer that I bought new when I started working. I had made most of my work clothes, and also clothes for my niece. I decided to take that quilting class, not knowing what I was getting myself into!

This teacher made us learn the "old fashion" way. We made templates out of cereal box type cardboard. Then traced around the template and cut outside the lines. We sewed on the line. This was a sampler quilt. This was before rotary cutters! I remember my first quilt was not at all straight, but I was so proud of it. The next quilt I made was just like Mirabelle- the Log Cabin by Eleanor Burns. I made several of those quilts! I took another high school class that was a hand quilting class, again a sampler quilt. I still have that quilt, it turned out beautiful in those orange, gold and brown colors that were so popular back then. I aught to take a photo and post it, you all would get a kick out of it!

I did not quilt for about 10 years (was too busy with 6 kids and working full time), except if I wanted to make a quilt for a niece or nephew's graduation, or a baby quilt and did not start again until 4-5 years ago.
    I have taken one day classes occasionally since then on various methods.
    Last edited by JeanieG; 04-29-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Here's my story.
    My mom was always sewing, we didn't have an electric sewing machine in the early 50s. As long as I can remember I was knitting, embroidering and crocheting. I was about 8 years old when I started sewing. My mom had tons of cheap coupons and she told me to go ahead and cut it When she bought an electric sewing machine she soon felt sorry for me and I was allowed to use it. I've always been sewing clothes for my kids, my late hubby and myself. When I lived in Germany I designed my own dresses. I even was/am a certified seamstress
    December 2008 I bought an embroidery machine and became a member of an embroidery board. On that board some members were quilting also so at the end of 2009 I started my first quilt. And here I am, quilting away I don't do clothes anymore, not even for the twins or Mick as my DDIL doesn't like that - I guess.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

JeanieG I think every one has made an Eleanor Burns quilt at some time. I know I have a photo of that quilt somewhere, might just go and find it to share
    Karen

Some of my earliest memories are sitting behind Mom's treadle machine as she chained pieced quilts for gifts. Most were made from feed and flour sacks. I was allowed to use her scissors and cut the threads and make a new stack for her to work on. By the time I was 9 I was taking sewing in 4-H. Our leader was a wonderful seamstress and so patient. I might mention that my Grandmother sewed professionally, making clothes for the well-to-do in her small town. I can't remember ever having boughten clothes for school and by the time I was in high school, I made most of my own. Early years of married life, I was still making most of the families clothes, even suits for the males. Almost 40 years ago I took my first quilting class and learned the basics. Like Jeanie mentioned, everything was cardboard templates and scissors! My goal was to make a quilt for each of my children but they were so young I did a couple of twin size quilts for my in-laws. One was a Log Cabin QAYG. Life interrupted and I didn't get back to quilting until about 4 years ago. I've taken classes and sewed up a storm since then. There are still many tricks to learn and patterns to try and I work at it faithfully almost every day. BTW...my first Eleanor Burns quilt is her El's Kitchen which I'm doing as a BOM right now. Great memories, QuiltE. Thanks for asking. Love hearing others stories too.

A common thread....Eleanor Burns. I have most all of her quilt books.

I still have the treadle I learned to sew on with DGM who raised us kids...no blood relation to us...but took us at four months and seventeen months when DM was not able to raise us. Since she was not able to have children, they 'helped' raise seven other children, including our Mother. They never had much money, but lots of love in their hearts. No one paid them to raise us, no relative or government.

I sewed up sun bras and clothes for myself at an early age; later helped do the tied quilts and look through DGM trunk of goodies...quilt blocks, crazy quits...dress up dresses, etc. It was in 1972, my dh and I started the family quilting together, trying to teach the love of Christmas giving over commercial bought gifts. It has continued today....so have gifted many quilts along the way...fellow teachers first born baby...weddings....friendships...never took any classes, just bought books and dove into the middle of it. Belonged only to one guild...in CC with dh. Have many more projects planned...hope to continue onward...and praying that the eye will heal and allow me to see to quilt.

More wonderful stories, such a common thread of love of family here.

I tried to find the photo of my second quilt but couldn't, and after going through all the photos twice and ending up in tears with so many memories I gave up.

So I decided to give you a peek at what else I dabbled in, bear making. This photo was taken at a friends house and was on the cover of my catalog, all my own designs. I sold them through a craft shop in Darwin. The little cane chair they are sitting in was bought by my Grandfather for me when I was 6 years old. It has pride of place in my bedroom today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karen

ahhhhh you ladies are amazing!!!

I have missed you all

I also started stitching at 8. Mom started me on crosstitch and embroidery. my mother dabbled a little in this or that, so she had some materials laying about that I would get into and "borrow" from her when she wasnt looking. when I learned to sew by hand, Mom cut up old clothes and tossed them into the rag bin, I was allowed to take pieces and make doll clothes from. a great learning curve to sew dimensional!
    My first "QUILT" I copied from a picture in a book, knowing nothing about seam allowances, my half squares turned out smaller than my squares... but I sewed them together anyways and made a wonderful little chair seat cushion... Mom got after me for cutting up my skirt to make it! but she was never mad for too long
    I altered my clothes my entire teenage years, too tall for anything to fit... I cut up ALOT of clothes! FINALLY mom let me use her sewing machine, she figured out she couldnt really stop the determination... so she resigned to it. Also she dug out her grandmas fabrics.... we together cut squares... and sewed nine patchs... she taught me to hand quilt with thread instead of tying and we did three king size quilts!
    when I was first married... I was stretching my skills making a storm at sea, for Dhdd... and crying because I couldnt open and close my hand anymore from cutting pieces with scissors... DH finally took me down to the quilt shop and bought me a mat, cutter and ruler... and you know.... there is just something sooooo addicting about the rotary cutter... ahhhhh maybe its the sound it makes..... hmmmmm... and the HUM of the sewing machine..... I have been addicted ever since! I sew everyday if I get the chance
    I have been sewing baby toys, bears, blankies, clothes, quilts, and gifting them away since I was a teen! my favorites ALWAYS a baby gift

ah what a nice subject! thanks ladies! I will try to drop in soon... helping sis move into her new apt this weekend. hopefully find some me time soon to come say HI
    Have a good one!
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Anael, you did sew for those babies when they were in NICU - gosh was that a year ago??? I'm sure she appreciated those cute things you sewed for them! They were so tiny! No wonder you did such a wonderful job on those things - being a "certified" seamstress!!! Wow, I'm impressed! We have not seen photos of the twins and Mick for a while, how about some new ones??? Please!!!!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2...-star-for.html

QuiltE...this is for you. A Canadian block!

Ggal thank you for the link and what a pretty block, I will be saving that blog to my Favourites.
    Karen

DDamsel I have missed you, hope everything is going ok with you..
    Karen

GGal ... THANK YOU! so much!!!!!!!!!! And a lovely block it is. Canada's 150th is in 2017 and inspired by Muv's Diamond Jubilee quilt, I have been thinking about doing something special. So this might be a starter for me. Now, if only Barbara Brackman would come along and design blocks for each of our provinces! (or someone!)

The Underground Railway story is well known here too, with several historic locations recognized. I have visited a couple. A friend of mine lives in one of those communities, and their quilt group did Underground Railway quilts this winter, combining it as a BOM and monthly historical research reports of the real UR story. They had their showing of them last night!! It would have been nice to see how each interpreted theirs with different fabrics and patterns. My friend did hers all in batiks with a black background ... and miniaturized the blocks for a wall hanging. Chances are many of them will make it to the Fair this year ... so I will see them then.

So many good stories about our sewing and quilting journeys.
    And so many common links between all of us as to how we learned.
    What talented people we have in this group ... so many amazing women!

However, I think DDamsel takes the cake ... with cutting up her skirt when making one of her first projects! Are your kids getting the bug? (PS ... glad that you dropped by today to share your story ... miss you!!)

Yes, I too have a couple of Eleanor Burns books. While my first quilt was not an Eleanor Burns pattern it was taught in a QIAD course, where many used her patterns. We chose the fabrics, took them to wash and press, returning them to the LQS to cut them. When we arrived on The Day ... everything was cut and ready. They were smart to do that as it sure took away a lot of the work and helped get us all hooked! Neither do I have that quilt nor a photo ... sure wish I did! Though my 2nd and 3rd quilts were Eleanor's Log Cabins!

MiraB ... oh my look at all those cuddly teddies! Looks like the jointed ones. I was on that curve for awhile in the 80s, but no, I don't have a photo or bear left!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Jan...this is a blog post but she is talking about quilt market in Pittsburg in a few weeks. Do you ever attend?

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2014/...bound.html?m=1

Ggal, Quilt Market is just for shops or retailers. It is huge, all the LQS in the area are closed for a few days when this is going on. Wish I had a friend who owned a shop--I'd love to be able to get a sneak peak at all the new products. Thanks for that link; a few here have mentioned her quilts and this is the first I've seen them. Hmmm-just what I need, more project ideas!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Hello all!

Back at you Mirabelle

QuiltE... you forget my DERANGED states its own self in my name LOL

GardenGal I would LOVE to see what you do with the Brackmans Austin QAL, especially in the Downton Abbey!!! Im drooling already I am saving the patterns but have not yet decided to do this one. I did buy the http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Austen-Qu...+austin+quilts and am anxiously awaiting the arrival in my mailbox

SIGH... I also picked up the Tula Pink City Samper book

I went to my dear friends memorial this last weekend, it was definitely different than a funeral, in a GOOD way. Just how she wanted it to be I suppose. Her BEST friend from CO. feeling her own mortality has offered me two Singer Slantomatic's, and the use of her smaller embroidery machine, that I get to keep it if I like and USE it. she will bring those out next month when she comes.

School is NEARLY done for the year... YAY

Have a good one ladies

PS
    DH and I are doing therapy and doing better. I am an easy target and a doormat.. so Im instructed to tell him what I want, and tell him when Im angry..... it is supposed to work... we will see
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

My sewing story didn't start until I was 18 and newly married (celebrating 17 years tomorrow!). I wanted to make my own skirts, jumpers, nursing dresses, and then some simple dresses/jumpers for our first DD. My dad bought me a Kenmore and then the following summer I got a really good deal on an old Singer in a cabinet. I had a little help from a friend, but mostly just followed the skirt pattern I bought. As well as the other clothing patterns...I kept it very simple!

I started my first quilt in 2008. I bought a book, picked a pattern that I didn't think looked too hard and then bought FQs to make it. I reconnected with the mom of a boy I graduated with and mentioned I was working on my first quilt. She said if I needed any help finishing it to be sure to call...so, once I got all the blocks done I called and said "what's next?" She helped me to square them up and showed me how to add borders, sandwich, and bind it. I just did SITD quilting so that was easy enough. This "mom" has become a great friend and quilting buddy. She says I am the daughter she never had (she had 2 sons).

If that was your first quilt Carrie, you did a wonderful job ! ! !
    Love reading all stories!

Mirabelle, what a lovely collection of bears! I love making bears too but the grands have too many soft toys as it is and I have lots and lots here so no need for more! The other day I found a Mom and baby elephant in the attic. The baby is downstairs now and Mick asked if he could take it home. He wasn't allowed........LOL

Jeanie, yes I did make lots of stuff for the twins when they were in the NICU. But it ended there too, never made a thing for them after they left the NICU. My DDIL prefers store bought clothes.

DD, I'm glad you and your hubby are doing better. (((Hugs)))
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Thanks Anael.

Here is what I've been working on the last week...just the outer border...the inside has been done since January. I have the next border figured out and should be able to get it started tomorrow afternoon.

Those colors are really awesome Carrie. Great pattern!

Carrie is that the Medallion quilt you are doing on the Message Board, it looks great
    Karen

Love, love, love it Carrie. Those fabrics are fantastic. I really like the Medallion style.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Mirabelle--yes, that is the medallion quilt I am making with the others here on the board. I made up my own border for the one that I just did. The next one will be a "dancing" piano key which was a suggested border by the ladies who organized the thread.

Page 368 of 542 FirstFirst ... 268 318 358 367 368 369 378 418 468 ... LastLast