Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club  update  photo - discussion - completed page >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Is the salt an added preservative??? I would check with Ball/Mason to see what they recommend..I'm sure they have online sites to check also...I know they have "no salt added" to alot of canned items today but is there another preservative added to compensate for that???

I'm getting ready to visit Dsis for a couple of days...making sure I get a haircut this tme...I'm leaving in one hour...have to beat the Labor Day traffic....Later guys....

Jan, Where are you??? QuiltE too!

Last edited by Honchey; 08-29-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Blue book for canning does not mention salt. I would rather not add salt in canning, if I can add it later in cooking it up with noodles or dumplings.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

What a cute block Honchey! Dublb, you did good gal, great work!!! Have fun with your Sis Honchey!!!

What is going on here - cabinets are in! Countertops coming next Wednesday, appliances will be re-installed next Thursday. Carpet for living room to be installed the following week. I'll be so glad to be able to get my kitchen unpacked and put away - guess what I'm doing weekend after next!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Celebrating, Jeanie. Its been quite a while since you have been able to get into your kitchen. Celebrate!! Good news indeed!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Good to hear Jeanie you can finally cook again Please share pics when your kitchen is all done. Would love to see it!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

QNS--salt only if you want to. I add just a 1/2 t of table salt to my beef. The pressure canning process takes care of any need to use salt as a preservative.

This is what Penn State says about using salt
http://extension.psu.edu/food/preser...tes-in-canning

Okay Jeanie what are you bringing to the RV to celebrate next week now that you will really be able to cook.

DIL and I froze over 30 qts of corn today. DH and DS did help with the shucking and the bagging. Good job to get done.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Thanks, OK, I thought you would know. Although I never left home until I married, I just don't remember everything that Grandma did with her canning.

I never have managed to 'copy' her mincemeat recipe, she was German-Dutch and the recipe died with her. Not other family member alive today tasted her mincemeat that could help me. She used suet, gooseberries, and in the adult version, brandy. DD discovered my cooking brandy the last time she was here with her dh, much to their enjoyment...I have been known for a long married life of a 'dry' and free of any liquor in the house. But to every rule there's an exception and mincemeat attempts were the exception. An incident of three young cousins losing their parents and youngest member of their family to a 'drunken driver' when I was a teenager made an impression on me that I have never forgotten. It was later proven that the driver had suffered a heart attack and it was the combination of being at the wrong place at the wrong time killed them all. That is why it was called an 'accident'. The three children got excellent settlement from it but it never made up for the lost of the their parents and youngest sibling of four years old. So I learned at an early age how life could change in a moment of time.

Celebrate life. Enjoy your loved ones.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Jumping in here to say ***hellloooooooooooooo***

Now I'm off to read the many pages since I was last here!
(and hopefully to see some beautiful eye candy too!)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

wheeeeeeeeee!!!! what beautiful eye candy MBs, and quilts!

JeanieG ... have I missed something? that you have a new machine? what? Your quilting is lovely, great flowers! Watch out, DD suggesting the blue binding, is a sure sign that she wants her name on that quilt! I really like its soft and gentle look. I'm sure you feel like you've got the Best.News.Ever with the renos/rebuilds ends in sight!

OKSGlad ... get your thinking cap on again ... I've been thinking of the burlap idea, and in colours too. I see burlap as bulky and wrinkled when unpacked each time. So ... What would take minimal space when packed between use and come out and look virtually wrinkle free? Covering those milk crates are the worse part of set up ... thin plastic, and needing to gift wrap them to perfection ... something pre-made would be oh so wonderful. Grrrrrrreat Classification News! Congratulations!! Should I be calling John and Nancy with updates? Looks like Corn Day was a real family "bonding" experience ... and soon there'll be the other Corn Days to bond over!

DublB
... who should I congratulate for your latest MB?

QNSue ... Glad that your eye problem was just an eyelash. Please please pleeeeeeeease slow down and let your body build up strength for your surgery and likewise after. I know you feel you have to do it ALL, though you want to "see" the results. Letting somethings slide for now, will pay great rewards. Your Dr. knows best! Tahiti Mist is looking grand.

DDamsel ... **tucking you in with a real cosy quilt** for some of that much needed sleep. I'm sure the Dr.'s orders include some extensive quilting time all for YOU! Pupppieeeeeeeeees!!! So much fun to come for you and the kids!! (my Dalmatian was from a litter of 13!)

GGal ... what a good looking family! You deserve to be proud, and how things turned out is a testament to you, for the love you have given over the years. I'm so happy that the six of you were able to turn a difficult sad situation (and I'm sure as the Ex, somewhat awkward for you!) into one with such positive and uplifting memories. Your DS/DDIL quilt is beautiful and knowing all the work you have put into it, will make it even more special to them.

Honchey ... you must be St.Grandma with all the special things you do for your Grands! Looks like you figured our DH's "need" to check the NC house more often! BTW .... you had me chuckling and wondering just what you two 'lovebugs" are up to all day!!!!!!!!

Anael ... your pic of the 3 SewGrands is SewGrand!

Guess I should have broken this post into several posts, to up the numbers, and bring us in closer to the 6 grand marker!

Have been missing all of you and our chatter. It's been a busy few weeks .... and the humidity has been absolutely horrible. No end in site, at least til after the EX is over with!

Should be around here tmro/Friday ... wonder if I can get some time with my machine?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

Okay Jeanie what are you bringing to the RV to celebrate next week now that you will really be able to cook.

If I still have apples on my tree, I'm dying for a Caramel Apple Cake!