Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 542 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 106 506 ... LastLast

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Oooo Ok I like 'em. I wish I had saved either DDad's shirts or DFIL's. Oh well,Life goes on.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

What a wonderful project Ok, have fun
    Karen

Ok--they all look like fun quilts. I really like the first one.

QE--can't wait to see your GFG!

One of the first quilts I made was a GFG but the hexagons were about 2 1/2". It was done by cutting fabric, batting, and backing into about a million hexagons; sewing 5 sides together then turning them right side out. They were quilted and then sewn together into a quilt. I had those things all over the house AND I did it all by hand!! I still have the quilt (if you can call it that) and when I look at the fabrics I used--denim, eyelet, seersucker, cotton, polyester--I'm amazed it's still in one piece. That was really the beginning of my quilting journey many years ago--like 1975? I also remember using electric scissors to do all the cutting. Not the most accurate way to cut--my hexagons are all different sizes and shapes. I think I can say I've learned a lot since then LOL.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Hey, that is neat JanRN to have your first quilt pieced by hand to remind you of then and now....we all need that journey to remind ourselves that we have come a long way since we started, and very journey begins with that first step or stitch.

I like your first quilt layout, OksewGlad. Many here go into second time around shops or thrift shops and buy the plaid shirts there...with a color theme of red or blue or green, etc. I donated a red plaid blouse to the LQS owner who was doing one, but she thought it was too nice to cut up....so I guess she did what she wanted with it.

Maybe I can get into the quilt room today; maybe. Will see what the day brings...it often goes a different way than what I plan, but then with mice and men...plans often go astray.

Blog Entries
    What fun to hear about everyone's projects past, present and future! It's a joy to compare first quilts isn't it? DD has the one I made her-GD sleeps with it. Has an old blanket for batting and is tied.
    Thanks for the complements on the shirt quilts. Plan is to use the bigger squares first then work down to the smaller leftover pieces. Four patch will be just Emily's skill level. She does pretty good with the 1/4 inch foot on the Janome machine. Some of Dad's shirts were still pretty good, and the first cut was the hardest, but then it gets easier.
    GFG is a quilt I'd like to do--maybe some day.
    Hope everyone can get some sewing done today and everyday! QB's are coming today--we're working on the Tankini pattern. Now 3 of us sewing as another friend has retired from her day job; lot's of chatting done. W hasn't quilted in a while so she has lots of questions--glad she feels she can come to L & me for the answers. Gotta dash and get things set up.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

OK is gonna have fun taday!!!!
    Bev

good news, OKsewglad!! Its fun to share quilting with friends. I have made it into the quilt room....just checking in on QB PC site before starting up after lunch.

Honchey, I hope its O.K. with you, I have opened up a "Santa Sue" list for Christmas if any PC rider wants a little package of Christmas Cheer mailed their way. Just a few of the Cowboy cookies and an 6 oz jar or two of homemade jam...but everyone must send a private message to me and include the address they want me to use for them...first come, first served. When they are gone, they are gone. With little family and friends left, it makes the Holidays a little more cheerful to share with others. Happy Holidays, PC riders!!

Isn't QNS the best???
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Isn't QNS the best???
    Absolutely, dublb!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

OKSGlad ... great quilts filled with memories are coming!! Looks like you have DFIL's shirts for years, to be planning SO many quilts! How FUN to have Emily assisting. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress and all the ones you create. Would I be right to suspect we'll see some mini's from the leftovers when you cut the blocks? Tankini's? as in bathing suits? or is there something quilty that I am obviously oblivious to? I had no desire on the GFG til I was trying to figure out what to take as a hotel project when I went to The Royal. Didn't do any there (knitted instead) ... then started working on id it when I was away last week ... will be a good "road" project!

CarrieM ... thanks ... I need all the inspiration and help in knowing what to do with this. I'm somewhat winging it!

JanRN ... Oh how special to have your first quilt! Oh please do show us a picture!!!

DublB ... yes QNSue is THE Best!

QNSue ... did you hear that? you are THE Best!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

QNS What a wonderul gift for everyone, I really have to move to the US or Canada

Spent last night in the sewing room and made my first bonus block, e-mailed it to my DD for her opinion and in her words "That's so pretty and so you Mum" so hope everyone likes it. Sorry so peeking yet.

Might drag out my GFG and take of a photo of the progress I have made on mine, I don't think there is a lot left to do, but you know something else always takes over and for the past few years have not had a lot of time to sit and stitch on it. I think I started it about 5 years ago.

But first must do some housework
    Karen

Thanks everyone for the kind words. We are international, not just a nation of USA...and that makes it very special to me...there are no boundaries in our virtual friendship in this PC and QB site.

I have been know to post to all....Mirabelle, and Anael, Brazil...wonder how the latter is doing??

MiraB ... oh please do, drag it out ... and back into action.

QNSue ... that's sweet and special the way you have been all-inclusive for those of us out-of-country! It really does warm my ♥ everytime I think of how we have all bonded together.

I visualize all you ladies busy in your Santa's Sewing Workshops, creating these Bonus Blocks!
    Oh the fun and surprises they will be ... will be like waiting for Christmas morning, indeed!!!!!

I spent several hours last night pressin' my charms till they are cardboard, so that I can use my bonus blocks for my ender & leader project. Might as well git started.
    Bev

I just had one of those aha moments. As you know, I've started using some tips from Bonnie Hunter and I thought i recognized a quilt from the cover of one of her books so I contacted the gal that was president of the quilt guild I was a member of in about 2006 and Bonnie Hunter was a speaker at the guild! I didn't appreciate her work at all then. I was still working and didn't have time or stash...I didn't know what a stash was! The right place but the wrong time for me.

QNS I don't think home baked goodies would get through our customs, they're a bit funny like that

Ok I dragged out my GFG and laid it out on the floor and it is almost complete, just have to sew another row on and then put the small rosette border on and gee I have most of the rosettes made
    Maybe it was too hot to work on, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Karen

Sounds like all have been busy as usual!

Mirabelle and Dublb, can't wait to see your bonus blocks.

QNS--such a nice offer!!

Another good day in the clubhouse...made 4 "ten-minute table runners"...took a little longer than 10 minutes when adding in ironing, cutting fabric, and child interruptions.

I also got one side of a border sewn on a friend's quilt...someone made her a rag quilt and it is too short (she is over 6ft tall). She asked if I could do anything to make it bigger. Since there was no binding I am using QAYG to add the border and then clipping the edges to make it "ragged". Tonight while watching the kids at archery I got the clipping done and also pinned on the 2nd side. Tomorrow I should be able to get all the border on and will work on clipping while watching tv in the evenings w/dh this weekend. I want to give it to her Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mirabelle---we must have been writing at the same time. Great GFG quilt! You really are getting close to done. I am sure you can do it during the "tea party" for your "hand work".

Mirabelle - your GFG is wonderful. Yeah, your almost done! Isn't it fun to find something so close to finish when you pull it out!

Carrie - your table runners look perfect for Christmas. Great job!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
    QNS I don't think home baked goodies would get through our customs, they're a bit funny like that

Ok I dragged out my GFG and laid it out on the floor and it is almost complete, just have to sew another row on and then put the small rosette border on and gee I have most of the rosettes made
    Maybe it was too hot to work on, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it
    Beautiful!
    Aren't you glad that I had you drag this out?
    And so close to finishing it off ... I'll be curious how you finish out the borders and then how you bind it off.

CarrieM ... nice bunch of runners made. Christmas gifts?

I actually only needed one runner for a gift exchange at my monthly "card club" (making cards, not playing cards)...we are having a Christmas party next week. When I was looking at my fabrics I found both prints so figured I would just make 2 of each and have extras....you know how sometimes you get invited somewhere unexpectedly this time of year and would like to take a gift?? Well, now I am prepared.

Way past my bed time...night!

Beautiful table runners Carrie, I have been busy today, have 5 bonus blocks complete and I am so happy with them.

Yes QuiltE I am glad you made me drag it out, if I leave it out maybe I will work on it over the holidays. My girlfriend made one also but she finished hers in 12 months. It has a row of the small rosettes around and then a final border of about 5 inches. I have a nice green for the final border but am not sure how I am going to attach it, maybe a few phone calls to my friend might help as the pattern did not give detailed instructions.

Time for me to cook dinner and feed the dogs then maybe more bonus blocks after dinner
    Karen

I just walked in to say HI to all! I've been busy with all kind of things but have the feeling I didn't accomplish anything Oh well, I made a Christmas Quilt for myself but my kitty is using it all the time! I made some blocks but I'm still running behind on several BOM's and BOW's! The Pony Blocks are somewhere in a box waiting, and I have to think about the swap and which ones to make for each of you who participate.

QNS, you ARE the best! And like mirabelle said, I should move to the US too just to be closer to all of you.

The happy couple is having another check up today so I hope it's good news. Maybe I worry too much!

So I will go back to my blocks, try and catch up with some BOW's and finally start with my Ode to my Mom again. That one has been waiting too long now.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

So nice to hear from you Anael, can't wait to see some more finished blocks from you.... keep going
    Karen

Page 6 of 542 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 56 106 506 ... LastLast