Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 64 of 542 FirstFirst ... 14 54 63 64 65 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

GG I have that magazine and did study the picture closely, I loved the bright colours she chose....

As to a Round Robin, I organised one for a group once upon a long long time ago,, we were to start with a centre block no big deal so far.. I handed out bags for the blocks to stay in as they were passed around and gave everyone a notebook. The first person was to write their colour preferences, who the quilt was to be given to etc etc any little bit of information that would help the next person in deciding what to do.. My centre was 16 inches and the block called Devils Claw which I made in burgundy, green and cream. I wrote in my notebook that I wanted my quilt to have an antique/aged look, no brights. Well the first person put a lovely pieced border on and the next step was to turn the block on point, I was horrifed when the fabric used to turn the block on points was a bright teal, I can still picture it I bit my tongue which was very hard for me, but when the final border was an orange floral I threw my arms in the air and vowed I would never participate in a round robin again.

there is a good news story following this debacle, my DD knew how upset I was so made me make another centre block and she would decide what fabric was to be used next and I had to sew it. I questioned her choices sometime but she always said "trust me Mum" so my quilt has always been known as the "Trust me Mum" quilt and has always lived on the back of my sofa in the lounge room.

How is everyone going on their ufo's ????
    Karen

Blog Entries
    In our guild we are participating in what I call a mystery exchange. Focus fabric and a completed block was in the bag when exchanged. Each new exchange was to add a new block using the focus fabric and the completed block as a guideline. All well and good. I was the first exchange and got my block done well before the next guild meeting. The week before next meeting I could not find the finished blocks and fabric. I swear I tore the house apart and concluded it had gotten hauled out to the trash pile to be burned (remember I live in the country) as it was in a plastic bag so no one could see in it. So I trotted over to the LQS hoping to find similar fabric which I sorta did. Fortunately remembered how to sew the first block as I had just made the same block for another project and had the right fabrics to go with and made a second block; took the bag to guild and no one is the wiser until this spring when quilter #7 finds fabric that's not like her initial fabric. Oh and 2 weeks later I found the bag; it had not gotten burned.
    The moral of the story--do not trust oksewglad to a round robin. She'll lose it for sure.

Just looked at the cover quilt GGal. That looks like a fun quilt to make. Our guild meeting tonight was on crumb blocks--a SitNSew working with it on Saturday that I can't go to--bummer.

So kitty is a snuggle kitty? Been a long time since I had a cat in the house; but I couldn't leave quilt blocks on the floor for layout--I had a huge floor in the old house that worked just fine. That old kitty would scatter them all over having a grand time. Only took me once to learn not to do it again! Night all.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Hello Ladies ... I've been off on the dusty trails for the weekend. Nose somewhat to the grindstone, but not really. Got lots else done this weekend too. Then back to work today.

So, if you'll indulge yourselves and check out Week #25, you're going to find many surprises, not just the standard two blocks!!! I'll catch up on this thread tomorrow/Tuesday, when I am more awake, but being that I just posted the blocks, thought I'd check in here and let you know I was alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you soon!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

We really lucked out this time!!! there was 6-8" of snow when all was said & done...It's raining right now & very foggy... I made the meatballs for the kids on Sunday and then they played all afternoon in the snow..Tommy (4) doesn't know how to pack a snowball and just picks up clumps of snow to throw to his dad and tells him "don't break it"..he is so funny...of course grandma had hot chocolate & dunkin donuts for them when they came in...had to strip them down to their undies and put everything in the dryer..needless to say they had alot of fun...
    I sewed all day & most of this evening... I pp'd sixteen 3" blocks for a wall hanging sample. I'll be teaching beginners PP next month at the gallery...I won't be using the same pattern for the class...I will have to make a few simple sample blocks that they can pick out the one they want to do...I'll post a photo tomorrow after I get the blocks sewn together...
    I just chedked the clock and it's waaaaaaay past my bedtime....goodnite all!!!!!!

Update on Bram and Isa: Isa was put back on the ventilator after one hour. But it's a start. Bram had to have his tube removed as they found fungus in his mucus. Last night they put in a new tube as he wasn't able to breath on his own. Otherwise they had a quiet night.
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Anael not great news but good news and that is a blessing. Hugs coming your way
    Karen

Anael...I echo Mirabelle...not great news but good news.
    Without taking a vote it seems there is a consensus that Round Robins can be a disaster even among friends! There is another idea in Quiltmaker that could be fun. A designer took pieces from different blocks and made them into new blocks. Illustration: two opposite corners of a block would be rail fence and the other two corners would be Ohio star. We could have one person responsible for choosing the first part of the block and each one of us could put our own spin on it by selecting which other block would be in the last two corners. Every month a different person would select the beginning block. A person could use the same finishing corners for all of the block and still have a different block each time. We would have a totally fresh and personal sampler quilt!
    Honchey...sounds like the snow was enjoyed at your house. Post a picture of your sampler. Sounds interesting.
    my UFOs are in waiting. I'm working on PC but it's waiting a day or two while I make a few log cabin blocks for my Jamestown BOM. I'm doing QAUG and my logs have been going askew! I think I've solved the problem but it has meant a visit from Froggy and a new start. The main problem was my backing. I got it at a quilt store but it wasn't 100% cotton...too stretchy...so I swapped it out and everything got better.

Wide awake (I think) and catching up here!

QNSue
    ... I can smell the fresh baked bread!!! Thanks for the recipe and it looks simple enough. I haven't made yeast breads for years and always enjoyed doing it. When we started farming we rented a farm with a very long laneway that in the winter filled in with snow, ever-so easily in the winter. I was still working off-farm and would look forward to snow days, and would start making bread .... memories!

MiraB ... I laughed when you said CarrieM probably had a smile her face when she did that picture. I was thinking more of a snicker!!!

CarrieM ... I was so glad you teased us with the photo, and guess what? I'd been tempted to tell you to do just that. Mental telepathy must have sent that thought your way!!! And before we know it, we'll have them in our hands. Now that's a BIG yeeeeeeeeehaaawwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

MiraB ... so glad that you and DD were able to GTG for the weekend. Look at all the productivity from your labours. And beautiful work too. That dino quilt is going to bring a lot of smiles to some little person! Your darkness block is stunning and is going to make for a very dramatic quilt. A fun sewing mat for yourself. Great innovation on your daughter's part. ITA the design wall is well worth the space and now wonder how I ever did anything without one!!! Shall I go as far as saying a MUST?

JanRN ... Me-thinks MrJanRN got you the GPS so you could go off and enjoy your FARTs stress free!!! Your RR issues don't scare me away ... I'll play in your group!!

Anael ... I was quilting and not here for the babies' 3 weeks birthday party. Though they were certainly in my thoughts as you saw in the other thread!!! Your kitty looks quite snuggled in the snuggle. Although might appreciate one a little larger!! How is kitty doing now?

DDamsel ... glad you brought your new "baby" home! BEtter watch out though, look like your Mom and Aunt are trying to adopt it away from you!!!!! I'm intrigued with the RR and would join you in the escapade!! My biggest concerns and fears would be the time crunch and whether I could make it ... and whether my creativity could kick in. I know I'd be second guessing myself to the extreme, and worried as to whether the others would like what I decided to do or not?

GGal ... Thanks for the link! Would be a fun thing to do. Next to my sewing machine I have a milk can (ok, a small one that used to hold biscuits) that I toss scraps into as I trim and then dump them into a plastic tote as it overflows. Have done a few crumb blocks just to try the technique. Yours would be a really good plan to go with and I just might try it out ... soon!! Oh, did I say that? I wasn't supposed to start anything new!!

Honchey ... looks like you had a FUN time with your grands and the snow! Lucky the students to have you teaching PPing to them. Are you going to take your FWS/PC to show them what they will be able to do? Looking forward to seeing your new sampler. Are you going to do the sample blocks for the group into a sampler too?

RR summary ... Amidst the horror stories, surely some of you can report some good ones?

Another idea, would be to do a spin on a boomerang swap. At least if you don't like a block you get, it's something smaller and less significant to set aside and not as big of a disappointment. Lower in costs too for sending back and forth.

So many possibilities ... though maybe wait for your BB package and see what's in store for you as well as your BB put together.

!!!Good Morning!!!

Mirabelle I think you have put me off a RRobin! I still like the idea of some kind of swap, thanks Ggal

Honchey, glad to hear you weathered the storm!

We also received quite a bit more snow! after we went and pulled DhSon and new wifes car out of the ditch (they dont have much experience with icy roads) we went sledding Miss Australia went down twice... and she didnt like it one little bit! I dont think we can get her to do it again.
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

!!!Hi QuiltE!!!
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

Mirabelle, your package arrived! WOW WOW WOW such beautiful flannel fabrics! I LOVE them.
    Isa has gained enough weight to wear smocks so now I can make beautiful soft smocks! My DDIL has hold her today for the very first time. She's so happy! Thursday my DS will be allowed to hold Bram for the first time. Bram hasn't been out of the incubator yet so that will be the first time. Bram has gained weight too but not enough to wear smocks.
    My DS and DDIL are coming here on their way home to get the gifts for Isa, Bram and Mick. Thanks so very much, I just can't find the words to thank you enough!

Look, the first smock for Isa with Mirabelle's flannel:
    Name:  SmockIsa (287 x 395).jpg
Views: 78
Size:  30.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Oh sew cute!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Oh so much agoin' on here. A tiny set back w/ Bram & Isa, then a leap forward. I'm gonna be a bit busy this week. I did post it on the thread that QE posted her new blocks on, but here it is again. DDIL has been put on bed rest for this week. She is at 35 weeks. I"m gonna go ovet there th'safternoon, & do the stuff that she will be tempted ta do while DGS is nappin'. Her Dr told her ta tend ta the toddler & nothin' else. I"ll pick up the toys, wash the dishes, & whatever else she needs done.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

That smock is just darling Anael! How exciting for your DDIL to be able to hold Isa! I think I am as excited as she is! My DH is always anxious to hear the news on the twins. I think we have a lot of interested surrogate grandpa's around here too! LOL
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Bev, I hope your DDIL and the baby will be ok!

Anael & Dublb, prayers goin' your way for smooth sailing from here on in..Life can be such a struggle at times...

I have an idea for a go round but it's not a swap...it's similar to the bblocks... once a month we make a 12.5 inch block which will go to a designated person chosen by a # dropped in a hat... we could do this for as many months for the # of persons signed up...we currently have 13-15??? we could make it a mystery by having one person in charge of knowing ahead who will be getting the blocks that month by giving info as to what kind of fabric ie: holiday, batiks, oriental, western, color, etc. I don't think it would be very costly as you'd be only sending one block folded to fit a business size envelope... depending on how well you flatten the block it would generally be only one stamp, one block a month...This could be in addition to anything else we decide to do... we could PM the person in charge what we like...fabrics, colors, types of blocks and your dislikes... all related to quilting that is We could post photos because the person receiving wouldn't know that the block is theirs...I think!!! I hope I made this clear enough to understand???? what do you think??? please be honest..I think it would be fun!!!

Here is a photo of the sample I made ...it's not finished..it will get a single border with cornerstones...the block is called Pinwheel and it's from Forestquilting.com....these are the blocks that our little quilting group in the Village at Calabash are making for a charity quilt to be donated...they are doing it very scrappy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK I'm leavin' in just a minuet, but just had ta come back here one more time.
    First at 35 weeks, even if DDIL has him it'll be ok. His lungs will work just fine & he'll be able ta function just fine. The Dr just wants ta be sure. So I'm gonna help as much as I can.
    I like your idea Honchey. I also like the idea o' stayin' here & postin' whatever we all are workin' on, includin' UFO's. & this swap that ya mentioned. We then could do another project tagether & make another thread for it. If we git other people ta join us for the other projects that's ok. Even if we all don't do the other project we can all post there & encourage each other.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Bev, a sigh of relief here. I hope he will wait a bit more.

I won't start another project any time soon. So I will be here to give you updates on what's going on here and hopefully encourage you when needed. I keep forgetting things and one of them is cheering you all on with what you're doing. I feel bad about that, I love all the work you all showed here and in other threads. I just forget to comment on it. One day........LOL
    Back to the sewing machine and making some more smocks! Will take a picture when they're ready. Tomorrow I will bring them to my DDIL.

Here's what I've made today from the flannel Mirabelle sent me. There's still a lot left!
    It's nice and warm and so soft, I love it!
    Name:  sheet.smocks 12.02.13 (576 x 432).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  67.9 KB
    On the left in the picture 4 sheets. The blue one has planes and balloons.

I just read all the posts, I didn't do that before.

GG, they both gained about 10 oz since birth. I think that's great!

QuiltE, yes I saw it in the other thread. I love the birthday block! Kitty is doing ok, she's attacking me all day so she's back to her old self again She's gained weight too, that's a good thing because she lost too much weight. And yes, she wants a larger snuggle, this one isn't comfy enough.

~~~~
    waves back to DDamsel!!! got your lace ready for your PC?
    ~~~~

Anael ... For these wee ones, weight gain is all good ... what do they weigh now? And yea, for little dresses aka smocks to be worn now! Now that first one looks like it's a Valentine's Dress. Sew Cute!! Fashion statements start!! And such good news that Isa has now been held, and soon Bram. Friends that had a preemie at roughly the same stage and size (now he's a teenager), she didn't get to hold and cuddle him for a long long time. When their DD was born, OMG, she got all the hugs that didn't get used for the first born.

DublB ... what a great MIL you must be! Pamper that MTB as you await your new DGC. EVery day that the babe waits, another day of growth.

Honchey ... those blocks are beautiful and like a breath of spring!!! Great idea on the block exchange. Or perhaps we could continue the theme from month to month, so that the blocks would coordinate at the end to make into something? instead of having a bunch of orphan blocks. Just a thought! Certainly would not be the time commitment when only making one block. And as you said, the postage would not be outlandish.

Anael ... and as I get to the end of the thread, I see a whole wardrobe has been created! What a wonderful Oma you are, indeed!

............. Although, I do fear that Anael might be trying these out on Kitty!

Bev prayers coming your way that everything goes well.

Honchey I like your idea, only costs $2.20 to send a small envelope to the US from Aus. could be a lot of fun.

Anael I am glad the parcel arrived in time and that there was enough flannel for you. I hope the other parcels are well received I love your little smocks, you are certainly been busy..

Now to have breakfast and start my day, DH will be home today so best do some grocery shopping today
    Karen

Mirabelle, they didn't get the other ones yet as my DS and DDIL had to go home right away. So I will bring them tomorrow together with the sheets and smocks. I will let you know what they said

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    ............. Although, I do fear that Anael might be trying these out on Kitty!
    NOOOOOOOOOO, my Kitty is not into dresses And I don't like more attacks!

Page 64 of 542 FirstFirst ... 14 54 63 64 65 74 114 164 ... LastLast