Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-09-2015, 01:38 PM

I had an "aha!" moment today (altho yinz will probably say well, duh, everyone knows that). I was doing a block that had tons of pieces that I could not get to go together. After reading the directions, I thought to place them with the paper side up so I could follow the diagram but then I'd have to flip them over carefully to keep them in place. AHA!! I got a file folder, opened it up, laid out my pieces to match the diagram, closed the file folder and flipped it over so now my fabric side is up! Please don't laugh at this Senior Blonde!! Just thought I'd share my discovery.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Jan, I've been paper piecing for years and that never occurred to me! I've got a file folder out and ready for the next block!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I had an "aha!" moment today (altho yinz will probably say well, duh, everyone knows that). I was doing a block that had tons of pieces that I could not get to go together. After reading the directions, I thought to place them with the paper side up so I could follow the diagram but then I'd have to flip them over carefully to keep them in place. AHA!! I got a file folder, opened it up, laid out my pieces to match the diagram, closed the file folder and flipped it over so now my fabric side is up! Please don't laugh at this Senior Blonde!! Just thought I'd share my discovery.
With age comes wisdom...teasing of course but what a great idea...it would really be beneficial for someone who is a little dyslexic....not naming names, but sometimes it hinders my PPing progress...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:34 PM

Sure call me old and laugh at me--you're supposed to respect your elders LOL.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:51 PM

Ladies, It has come to my attention that #33 Farmer's Wife needs to be mirror imaged,,The outside sections are the culprits....

I now have the first 75 block patterns cut out & bagged.. my hand is sore from the scissors

Last edited by Honchey; 07-11-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:59 AM

JanRN, you are so smart! I was having a problem with the test blocks for the very same reason. I have my folder now and I'm ready to go. Another problem I'm having is the reference numbers throw me off. I have to go thru and "match them". For ease of assembly, I take the smaller line drawing from printing out the paper piecing templates and color the block the same colors to get a rough idea of what goes where.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 AM

The book for some reason shows the diagramed block differently than how it is on the pping paper..Not on all of them just some...

I have to try Jan's folder method.. I'm finally done with cutting up all the patterns...My eyes are slowly going back to focusing

How many of the blocks need to be mirror imaged ? Anyone know??? It would be good to know ahead of time..
Old 07-12-2015, 01:25 PM

This book already has too many errors for me. I'll have to keep alert as we go along that I'm making the necessary adjustments/corrections. Thank goodness for having this group to quilt along with!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM

I'm so excited that yinz like my file folder suggestion! Now a question: Anne, what does that mean they need mirror imaged? I know when I print a letter (like the P in my Pirates banner) that I have to flip it; do some of the blocks need this done and how do we know? Or is it just certain sections of the blocks? One more thing for this Senior Blonde brain to worry about LOL.