Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Sunrise, your CD should have a folder with the PP foundations in it for each block. Are you not finding that?

For the first two blocks I've printed out the two pages (each) of foundations, then cut them apart and puzzled together on an 8-12 x 11 sheet to run the foundation paper I want to use through my printer. I've never encountered PP with the patterns cut apart like this, so will be interested to see how the piecing goes.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM

sunrise--it is suggested that you save the PDF files to your computer and then print them
Old 07-07-2015, 03:57 AM

Excited... my book arrived about a week ago and been thumbing through the beautiful blocks. With just a few weeks to go, need to decide on fabrics. I don't have a big stash so not sure I'll be able to do a scrappy one... what's a girl to do?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 AM

So I'm continuing to make practice blocks and yesterday I got some vellum paper from staples. It is so much better than the simple foundations paper that I linked to in post #98. It is still see-through, stiffer (so more supportive) and yet rips off much more easily. This is the one I got: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Inkje...product_496755 and I think I'll be sticking with it. The downside was that when ironing the toner was transferred to my ironing board, so I actually ended up putting a piece of regular copy paper under it to keep the toner off my board. I think if I had used an ink jet instead of a laser, it wouldn't have had that issue.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Excited... my book arrived about a week ago and been thumbing through the beautiful blocks. With just a few weeks to go, need to decide on fabrics. I don't have a big stash so not sure I'll be able to do a scrappy one... what's a girl to do?
Le sigh, I guess you'll just have to go shopping.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
Sunrise, your CD should have a folder with the PP foundations in it for each block. Are you not finding that?

For the first two blocks I've printed out the two pages (each) of foundations, then cut them apart and puzzled together on an 8-12 x 11 sheet to run the foundation paper I want to use through my printer. I've never encountered PP with the patterns cut apart like this, so will be interested to see how the piecing goes.
I have everything on my puter now, I think I just need to try again. I get easily frustrated lately. I may try my computer downstairs. It is older and I know better how to use it. This new one is driving me nuts. I'll be so glad when I get windows 10 installed. It is supposed to be so much better. We shall see.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:11 AM

I am now printing the blocks! And on my new computer too. Excuse me while I give myself a pat on my back! Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 AM

I have a question, since this my first time doing PP. I got my book, printed out all PP. sheets. If doing PP. I don't need templates do I?? also I need to make a copy of the sheet that will be doing, for using as on foundation material?? anything else needed to be printed out?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 AM

Gayle--you shouldn't need the templates printed...some do use them for cutting fabrics to shape/size, but I don't....it is a personal preference. I am not sure I understand your question: "also I need to make a copy of the sheet that will be doing, for using as on foundation material?? " Do you mean the pages that show a diagram of the whole block? If so you don't have to print that unless you want it...

I guess I am interested to hear what others say too..I only printed the pp patterns and so far think that is all I will need....I have done several pp'd quilts and this is how I do it.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:52 AM

That's how I do it, too, carriem. I use the freezer paper method, so I print the pp patterns on freezer paper. The little block diagrams that print out with the pp patterns have been helpful when sewing the pieces together.