Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Welcome to the ride Texas Sue! Ladies, I know I'm excited, I've been cutting fabric and getting ahead so I don't have to worry about getting behind.. I'm a happy camper..

Just thought you'd like to know Connecting threads has a 30% off solids and they do cut 1/4 yards.. thread is also 30% off..

15 days and counting.. I will be posting the block threads on Tuesdays generally around noon unless I'm working then it will be in the evening.. If you still want to have this thread going it will be okay BUT I prefer to have any discussion in the block threads...Photos of the blocks are to be in that week's thread.. That makes it easier to locate the photos of the blocks if you need to reference them.. Please do not start a thread asking where everything is.. All the info regarding this ride will be in the Blocks of the Month & Week in the Forum..

For those of you not familiar with PPing please take the time to view the tutes on youtube or the websites mentioned earlier...make a few simple blocks..it's to your own benefit and it's time saving in the end , not to mention peace of mind & satisfaction knowing you can do it...don't get frustrated, take your time..double check the pieces to make sure they're flipping the right way...don't forget to pin to keep fabric from slipping...use or get an open toe presser foot if it's available...if you don't have a problem seeing the lines..good for you! I just want you to do well and be happy sewing these blocks..

Have a good day all, stay cool & dry wherever you are...
Old 07-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Hi all, I haven't done a quilt along since I did the 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars by Carol Doak, of which I still don't have quilted. But am now looking for something I can use a variety of pping, machine and hand sewing, and this takes the cake. I just ordered the book, and it may not be here by the 4th, but I'll catch up. So here's to a year of tiny blocks.
Katie
Old 07-20-2015, 05:47 PM

Hi KLgreene, Welcome aboard, so glad you're coming along for the ride.. Our group is expanding so nicely.. just 2 weeks to the start...
Old 07-20-2015, 06:35 PM

I am just starting on my binder of organization for this project. Yup, I'm fired up for this block party too!!!!
I told my SO that I was starting on 99 blocks, of course he began singing THAT song...... lol

Last edited by sweet; 07-20-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 PM

We will be home from out month long trip in a few days. I am so looking forward to getting ready for this ride. It will be so much fun. It is great to see all of the familiar faces from our past two Laurie Hird trips, and we sure welcome all the newcomers.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:23 AM

I'm off to work today, bringing my fabric to starch & press and maybe cut a few pieces for the blocks... I'm a happy camper!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Honchey, when you say you are cutting fabric to put in baggies, are you cutting for paper piecing with extra seam allowance? Like cutting pieces large enough for each printed section but without distinct shape? Hope this question makes sense. Just trying to get prepared and I am not sure about the cutting of pieces in advance.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:39 PM

I measure my pieces by folding the section and add extra around..I'll post a photo later after supper.. it's not hard.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 PM

the first photo shows the pping piece folded to measure the width +.

the second photo is the folded piece against the fabric with a notch in the fabric where I will cut a strip.

the third photo is of the square I cut from the strip longer than the width to insure enough when I flip it after sewing it.

the 4th photo shows the corner triangle going to be cut from the same strip because it's the same width..notice the extra fabric around the cutting edge of the paper..

5th one shows the cut triangle ..

the 6th shows the same folded piece with the larger triangle part of the section cut from a strip of fabric wider than needed.....

All of the fabric pieces will be used as templates to cut additional ones for the block..I do this while watching TV.. My fabric is starched very well so I can cut the pieces without the fabric flopping all over..

I then put all the pieces in the baggie with the pping patterns so I can just pick a baggie then sew...
I hope this helps ..
Attached Thumbnails img_0500.jpg   img_0502.jpg   img_0504.jpg   img_0505.jpg   img_0506.jpg  

img_0509.jpg  

Last edited by Honchey; 07-22-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:49 PM

Great explanation Anne! I'm sure this will help those who are beginners, as well as us old-timers!