Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 06-23-2015, 03:26 PM

My notebook keeps my sanity and peace of mind...I know where my pp and templates and blocks are all located as we go along. . . and the first three look passable...so will continue on as time permits.

I was confused with my computer security system because they billed my charge account automatic last April 22nd and I did not know it until yesterday...so late this afternoon daughter finally was successful at getting to to load up and protect my computer again! Whew, she with all her talent, was really challenged by it, but she won which was great! I am back on the computer and can feel reasonably 'save'!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Default trying to get e-mails

I am having trouble getting everything going. I hope now it is working..
I have got my book ordered, now if I can just receive what's going on..
Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Welcome a board new FW stitchers. It will be fun getting to know you...
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
My notebook keeps my sanity and peace of mind...I know where my pp and templates and blocks are all located as we go along. . . and the first three look passable...so will continue on as time permits.
How do you organize and keep your notebook?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 AM

I just ordered my book from Amazon. It says that there is a 4_6 week wait but when I ordered it, it said that I would get it in 2 days! We shall see.
I have written the date to start (at my age everything gets written down). I am sewing mine in 30s as I have plenty and love the 30's.
I don't have many solid colors. Can anybody give me a clue as to which colors I will need? I want to get them soon so I can be prepared. This sounds like a lot of fun and I am looking forward doing the blocks.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM

sunrise450--welcome to the group. For the solid colors, she uses blue, yellow, orange, green, purple, coral...I am sure there are others...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM

Sunrise, just coordinate your solids with whatever prints you have. I didn't have many either, so I ordered a bundle of 30's solid fat quarters from the Fat Quarter Shop. Keepsake Quilting and Missouri Star probably have them in bundles, too. I think I'm still going to need a few more colors, so I'm heading to a LQS tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM

huskyquilter, I learned from the first two books of Laurie Aaron Hird on the QB trails to organize a big note book with plastic sleeves...someone pasted the hint on to me and I found it worked for me. ( I saved money by buying supplies at Wal Mart here) Each sleeve (comes in a packet of 50) holds the block outline with black marks showing how its put together, along with the paper piecing instructions and templates for each of the 99 blocks. As I finish each block, it goes back into the front of the sleeve until all 99 are done. I can decide on each one if I just do the templates or if I use the templates and put the fabric on to paper piecing patterns by using Elmer's Stick Glue. I do paste the templates on light cardboard with cement glue and color the templates and pp paper patterns with colored pencils. (We used to call them 'map' pencils) I do use the Craft jelly pens to mark on the fabric,and with a small paper punch, I know where the seam allowances cross on each piece. It keeps me organized, it may be over doing prep work, but it truly works very well to have everything in its place and at your fingertips. I ran off the patterns as time allowed ...maybe 33 at once, filled them.....went on to next set and same thing there. I ran off the rotary cutting suggestions and cement pasted them into the book itself.

I am legally blind in one eye, but ride myself on doing accurate quilting on sewing the blocks together the right way, the first time. I feel blessed that I can still quilt and enjoy every minute of it. It should be fun for those committed to doing the work, one stitch at a time. And yes, I use my handy seam ripper when I need too.

Please remember you are building your quilt, your way. If it looks right to you, its right! Former friends on QB trail of FWQ and PC has taught me that! Thanks to all of them, I have learned a lot and still have more to learn.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

I did very much the same thing with notebooks when I was making my Dear Jane. It really helped a lot. And if I ever lose my mind and decide to make another one, all the instructions and patterns are in that notebook! I also made a big chart with a square for every block and glued a piece of the fabric to the chart as I finished a block so I wouldn't get too many of the same fabric close together.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:28 PM

Well, ladies (I don't think we have any gentlemen joining us in this adventure) I got my book in today's mail. Many of the blocks are going to be challenging for me, so I'm glad to have this group for advice and encouragement!

Must say, this is a wonderful book! It's going to be such fun reading the letter for each block and thinking of the writer while putting the block together. I'll spend the next weeks getting my fabrics and piecing papers together. (I think the only way for me to go is paper piecing.)