Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime >

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

A New Mystery Quilt Train Ride! Hop on-board anytime

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM

I'm in the club car this trip, enjoying the yummy foods, desserts and drinks and everyone's color combos!!Good thing there's enough goodies for the mystery quilters and us "lookie-lues." I'm excited for tomorrow's new step and I wish I was caught up, but I haven't even started this mystery as yet. I've been working on other projects......(I have several other projects I need to get done before we leave for a month in early July: finishing a quilt for my swap partner, a baby fleece sleeper, a couple of pillowcases for grandbabies, and a summer dress and skirt for my 5 yr old DGD!)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 AM

3 or 4 more hours now......rushing around to get all the housework done and supper in the crockpot.....after the clue, hoping to do part of the Southern California Quilt Run, 32 stores this year, inland from the ocean about 200 miles and from Ventura county line to the U.S.A. border with mexico that is about 500 miles. Good thing it is T,F,S & Sunday for two weekends. Some places in Orange county the quilt stores are walking distance apart but some are 50 miles from any of the others. It is difficult this year, like last year because of the temptation to buy fabric but I have a list of thread, a book and a ruler that hoping to find. There is one fabric that if i find it i will buy a fat-quarter because i need it for paper piecing exchange blocks. Last year i found the perfect fabric for the binding of a quilt my Grandmother started in the 1920's......and that was 2/3 of a yard ! ok,wash-up time for the breakfast dishes. Ready for 'CLUE'
Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Sunliten, sounds like a fun, but exhausting shop hop. My chores are done for the morning, just waiting for next clue so I can go out to the studio & do my clue first before I continue on with WIP's. Have several that need my attention. I think we're @ 2 hrs away from clue yet.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM

Where is everyone? Usually we are thicker than fleas on a hogs back on Sat mornings! lol

Ladies my father in law is a ham operator. He has an entire room he uses. We climbed to the top of Bear Mountain to put up an antennae years ago. We packed about a million yards of wire, too, which he doesn't use now, he's all wireless now. His call is Ky groundhog something, cant remember. He makes almost all of his stuff.

His grandpappy used to do it, too, and back then we didn't have phone lines up in the hollers, so he would radio a guy in "town" (population 5,000 NOW,LOL) and that guy would call the fire dept, police, whatever. I imagine that radio was a lifesaver for some.

Ok, off to the club car, see what I can find to eat!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 AM

My Father built his own HAM set-up, the original one in 1925 when he was 12 years old, at that time he was the younghest to have a liscence and build his own equipment....no kits then...LOL...his call was W6RXC....remember sometimes him talking to people in Australia, Ireland, Japan, once Africa......he would have loved the internet !!!!

funny thing was his parents could not even tune in a radio, and had problems with anything electrical or even mechanical.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 06-16-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 AM

Have my grandson all day today..so not gettin much done other than gluing noodles to paper atm.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM

I want to see photo of noodles and paper......sigh.....may get to do this with my GGD someday....she will be born any day now....actually due July 1st.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 AM

im waiting with you ladies ,really enjoying this train ride
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM

Default Step 5

All I can say is WOW -- all the pieces you have shown are wonderful, and there are going to be beautiful quilts.

And now, I think you will figure out where this is all going. Can’t think of how to keep the mystery going any longer.

5-COLOR QUILT:
Now, take color C and cut 2 WOF strips that are 4-½” wide and from this cut 16 4-½” squares. You will need these 16 4-½” blocks of Color C background and the 48 half-square triangles you have made from the second step posted on May 26th.

I’ve posted two pictures of the blocks laid out, one showing the entire quilt top and another showing one-quarter of it. You can sew 8 blocks together to make 8 rows, then sew the 8 rows together. Or after laying out all the blocks, sew one-quarter of the top at a time, sewing 4 rows of 4 blocks each, and then sew the 4 sections together.

Please take note: It is very important to keep your rows in order and the pieces in the proper direction as you sew them together with a ¼” seam. For those of you who are unsure of how to proceed , a hint -- I pin a number in the upper left corner of the block. Sorry the picture shows only the 5 bottom rows, not the 3 first rows. Then pick up the blocks, one row at a time. Start by picking up block number 1 holding the number at the top. then pick up the second block, putting it behind the first block, , and pick up all blocks, keeping them in order in order. Pick up a second row.

When I get to the machine (3rd picture) , I place the pile in front of me with the number in the upper left, and put the second block from the pile right sides together and sew the block. I still refer to the layout to make sure I didn’t mix anything up. Perhaps you can print out a picture of the layout, and keep it by your machine as you sew. Press the rows, alternating direction of the seams. I press toward the right on even numbered rows, toward the left on odd numbered rows. Sew rows together, and press the seams.
To save a picture off this thread, highlight the picture, use the copy function, right click mouse on save and give it a name so you can find it easily. It will then be able to be printed off your hard drive.

SCRAPPY:
Cut 2 WOF color C at 4-1/2” wide, make 16 of these blocks, your background fabric. Assemble as shown in the scrappy picture, and sew together using either of the methods described above in the 5-color quilt - sewing it in quarter sections or 8 rows of 8 blocks.

Can’t wait to see your medallions!

Hope my directions are not too confusing. In an hour I’m off to a sewing bee for the charity I sew for, and will be back in the afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails medallion-1.jpg   medallion-2.jpg   medallion-3.jpg   medallion-4.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Default forgot this ...

oops forgot to show the one quarter of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails 008-lower-right-one-quarter-top.jpg