Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Quilting Bee February, 2017

Oklahoma?? 74?? Seriously? We had 4 this morning, and that is before the wind chill. We got a healthy foot of snow and more what they call "plowable" snow on Saturday. I can drive thru about 3 to 4 inches, so guess that means more. Then another major on Sunday/Monday. I have to keep telling myself, its winter after all, its winter after all. It is getting so no matter what muscles I build I can't throw up that high. Have to move the same pile of snow 3 or 4 times just to get it out of the way. Have my blocks all cut out, will attempt to get them done this weekend. Sure hope they come out as nice as some of theses I am seeing. Great job everyone.

Seriously! It's just plain crazy! and get this, 84 tomorrow, then 58 on Sunday! It's like being on a darn roller coaster! I think ol' man Winter has just forgotten us. We used to get several good snows a winter, but last couple years not! Just 'enjoy' the snow for me. I'm originally from NE Missouri, we always had snow anywhere from October thru March, and I miss it so. I remember one year it snowed in April, on Easter. A job moved us here many years ago, just never left..

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    Seriously! It's just plain crazy! and get this, 84 tomorrow, then 58 on Sunday! It's like being on a darn roller coaster! I think ol' man Winter has just forgotten us. We used to get several good snows a winter, but last couple years not! Just 'enjoy' the snow for me. I'm originally from NE Missouri, we always had snow anywhere from October thru March, and I miss it so. I remember one year it snowed in April, on Easter. A job moved us here many years ago, just never left..
    Trust me....if there was a way, I'd share.

Name:  DSC03678 [800x600].jpg
Views: 207
Size:  75.8 KBName:  DSC03679 [800x600].jpg
Views: 207
Size:  66.2 KB

Ohhhh, just gorgeous, Chickie..(lolo)...I can't believe how pretty that 'peach' looks in a block - that's going to be one pretty quilt. Good job..

Blog Entries
    Here is one block. I will do the other one after the 15th.

Name:  2017 02 a.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  26.1 KB
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

Pretty block. Do I recognize that center medallion? I've gotta' get mine cut so I can get them done.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

LOLO Kristi - find it a bit challenging? Well the other one is easier. But you do what you want. That one is pretty - like the color combo..
    Those were definately 'little HSTS'! They are probably the smallest ones I've done! Actually, though, I only have a small 'fat-eights' bundle of fabric, so I'm thinking to make a small crib-size quilt with maybe about 12 blocks. Thant gives me a little flexibility in sewing, so about 1 each month sounded about right!

Loving how everyone's blocks are turning out! It's so much fun to see all the color combinations!
    Kristi

My February block has been a little pa-toot. I had never tried the method of making 8 HST's at a time and they ended up too small. So, rather than waste all those little ones, I made some more, put 4 on each side rather than 3 and am calling this one done. Hopefully the other February block will go a little bit better. I used the 4 HST's at a time, by sewing around the outside of the block and had much better success with the HST's. Just got to sew all the pieces together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Hey, Barb - this is your block, glad you got the 'little' pa-toots used. As long as you figured out how to make them work is great. They were a bit of a pain for me too...but got'er done. The other block was easy..lol BUT, it's good to do challenging things once in a while, just to stretch our abilities.

Kristi, sounds like you have a plan. You can always make both blocks, to speed up the process. If you do the 2 a month, you'd end up with 2 blankets at end of yr..lolo

So many of you ladies have done your blocks that I'm feeling like a little bit of a slacker! lol But in my defense, DH and I went to Florida for 10 days to get some sunshine. We came home on Wednesday, only to have a snowstorm on Thursday and another one today. Yikes! But I'm going on a quilt retreat this week, so will get my blocks done there, along with (I hope) some UFOs. I'm a little intimidated by the barrister's block, but like you said, Oksewnsew, we need to stretch our abilities.

Sounds like you've been having some fun tho. This is only the 12th so still have 1/2 a month to do them. Have fun at your retreat.

Barbara, I love your block!! very impressive! and I love the colours you've chosen!!

Mary, don't worry I'm still to do mine also. I've been busy getting ahead on a swap I'm joining. Being a bit of an over achiever hahaha... but hey! these blocks will get done hopefully this week. You're not alone

Hugs all! xxx Jacquie xxx
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh, wow, what a fun (and challenging) bee!

Is it too late to join in? Do I need to make the January block and post a pic on that thread?
    Deborah

DHSew, to join it's nice if you will PM me, but you can join in for February...If you WANT to do January's blocks that's up to you, they're yours to keep.. If you decide to do the January blocks, just post on this thread. ;o)

Welcome, hope you enjoy it.

Jean

Quote Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
    Trust me....if there was a way, I'd share.
    Okaysewnsew....I have more snow to share. We got dumped 24 inches Sunday/Monday. I can't think of a spot my body doesn't hurt. And I still have a lot of shoveling and roof raking to do. I really am getting too old for this, but can't afford to pay for it, so there you go. And to think we have more coming Wednesday/Thursday. So come and get it, I will share, share, share.

Oh my goodness! Well you be very careful shoveling that stuff, I know you know it can be dangerous. I saw a neat way of getting rid of snow where you need it gone, but snow would have to be somewhat 'dry', use a leaf blower on it..lolo I only wish we'd get SNOW, I'd try it for doggie trails..lolo I got a 'sweet' email & pictures from Delphina yesterday, she's in NH, she invited me to supper last nite, grilled steaks, then set in the swing - 15" of snow..I cracked up, grill was covered in snow, barely could see the swing..LOLOLO I should have moved to the NE or North many years ago..lol Just say SAFE, don't overdo, please.

Oh my goodness! Well you be very careful shoveling that stuff, I know you know it can be dangerous. I saw a neat way of getting rid of snow where you need it gone, but snow would have to be somewhat 'dry', use a leaf blower on it..lolo I only wish we'd get SNOW, I'd try it for doggie trails..lolo I got a 'sweet' email & pictures from Delphina yesterday, she's in NH, she invited me to supper last nite, grilled steaks, then set in the swing - 15" of snow..I cracked up, grill was covered in snow, barely could see the swing..LOLOLO I should have moved to the NE or North many years ago..lol Just say SAFE, don't overdo, please.
    Thank you, I'll do the best I can. I should take the time to take a picture. Worse part is working all day, the last thing I want to do is shovel when I get home, but not much choice. I like that....grilled steaks. Actually I have grilled chicken after cleaning off the grill in the winter before, so it can be done, you just don't stay outside while its cooking. Just means more in and out the door to check on it. Years ago when my kids were young, once a year in the winter we would go to a picnic area and grill hot dogs warm up a pot of chili on the grill and drink hot cocoa. Don't ask why, not sure how we got started on it, but it became a tradition.

LOLO well that's something fun to remember. I've grilled outside in the cold, but not in snow, here anyway! Sunday it got to 89 here!! then yesterday 54, today about same, finally rain moved in last nite, thru most of today. We've been so dry, this will help. Then temps will be on way up again!! Geez, I just want WINTER..

oksewnsew, I agree. we haven't had snow up here in Nebraska either. it is so dry. 60 today.

Beautiful blocks, love the colors you chose.

Oh man I was going to cut my blocks out but a nap just kept nudging me! I had worked hard this morning, sewed a while but lunch did it for me..had to have my nap! lol

Well there is tomorrow afternoon! Blocks look great ladies, can't wait to see these quilts!

Hugs,
    Betty

Name:  14875264190481585678947.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.01 MB I made another Barrister block since the first one I made was using the twelve inch block pattern. I did lose a couple points but I'm more interested in some of your pointers using triangles. I double checked that I cut the correct sizes before I bisected the squares. I think my issue is due to stretching and that I found myself ironing instead of pressing. Your comments and tips are appreciated. Thanks! Pam

Well learning from experience, I over-cut squares for HST...If it calls for say, 2 1/2", I cut at 2 5/8" or even 3", then trim to size...Takes a little bit longer to do, but safer. Always make sure your 1/4" seam is a scant 1/4".. Even if you sew a 1/4" seam, the thread takes off a little so takes off the true size of the HST. I always 'try' to make sure there is a 1/4" at the edge so when you sew block (pieces) together, you have a seam width there so as not to sew off a point. I hope this helps - I'm sure others have other ideas. I like your blocks, very pretty.

Oksewnsew, thanks for your reply and the hints. I think I'll make that block one more time , but not today!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast