Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New Quilting Bee, July 2017 >

New Quilting Bee, July 2017

New Quilting Bee, July 2017

Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 AM

JayneW - I looked at the March blocks this morning, there are a zillion little triangles! I am going to do some studing before I tackle that one. I have to find a better technique on dealing with them. I have a couple of good printed resources that I am going to read today. I typically jump with both feet then have to back track to find the right way to do things:-)

Libster - I have yards of the black & blue paisley fabric. I picked it up years ago on clearance to weave a rag rug and never used it. I think it will make a fun collection of blocks instead of a rug. Who know, after this Bee is over, I might have enough for a rug too.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 AM

Another rookie question - These blocks are to be 10" finished, so does that mean there should still be a 1/4" allowance to be able to use them in a completed project? When I finish a block, shoulf it be squared to 10" or to 10-1/4"? Thanks for your patience.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Your block should measure 10 1/2" square. When you sew them together you need 1/4" on each side, left and right sides and top and bottom. You'll end up with a 10" square. Hope that helps you
Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Welcome all new members.

I love your pretty blocks.

If I ever get off the internet, I would have 2 more previous blocks completed. I'm so behind on my 2nd blocks. Next week I will cut them out and start sewing on them. I'm currently still working on my 2.5" log cabin quilt top = king size. I'm currently penning/sewing the rows together. I expect to have it completed by the end of this week. I'll wait and see how distracted I get. I should be pinning right now, but I'm not. See I'm distracted. Have fun sewing everyone.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:04 PM

I made a block board at Just Jan's recommendation and it really helped. I am still having issues with my final block size, they are coming out too small. I switched from a 1/4" foot back to a seam guide. I guess I need to measure the guide better. This last block, Strips and Squares from March is closer to the right size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576149[/ATTACH]
Here is my block board, it sits quite nicely on the Featherweight table. I have found that I really like that little machine for piecing. Here is the finished block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576150[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170709_130620-800x600.jpg   20170709_144453-800x600.jpg  
Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
Good morning!

These two blocks for July are the first blocks that I have made that have so many seams. I have been pressing them open as I go, but would it be better to press to one side when assembling so many small pieces into one block? And who has some good tips on dealing with those HST? Looking at the patterns to play catch-up, they are everywhere and it seems like everytime I make one, the quilting gremlins strike. And here I thought the gremlins just like looms and lots of ends of yarn!
I have a ruler by June Tailor called "Perfect Half-Square & Quarter Square Triangles." IT'S THE BEST!!! Makes from 1 1/2" up to 6 1/2" HS & QS triangles. Costs less than $20.00. (Comes with clear instructions.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576161[/ATTACH]I press all seams open. Makes less bulk and so much easier to match up seams. I press constantly but do not use steam.
Attached Thumbnails large_nr-4108.jpg  
Old 07-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
I made a block board at Just Jan's recommendation and it really helped. I am still having issues with my final block size, they are coming out too small. I switched from a 1/4" foot back to a seam guide. I guess I need to measure the guide better. This last block, Strips and Squares from March is closer to the right size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576149[/ATTACH]
Here is my block board, it sits quite nicely on the Featherweight table. I have found that I really like that little machine for piecing. Here is the finished block:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576150[/ATTACH]
I have Juki TL2010 machine and it has a 1/5 foot, which is actually the same as a scant 1/4. I tried to find them for my other brands of machines and it seems Juki is the only one that makes it. Its a longer shank so will not fit my other machines. I found using a scant quarter seam is the only way I can get these blocks to come out to the right size. I like your block board. Glad it is helping. Your block looks good!

Last edited by Just Jan; 07-09-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Well, Ladies going to try this again, just downloaded the blocks for the Bee. Hope to catch up this week Have not forgotten just busy with ball games and the grandkids. Triplets team was runner up in the 12 year old bracket only lost one game all season. They played awesome today but lost by one run for championship.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Oh, you ladies crack me up....I love reading your posts, laughing & helping each other. Thanks to all that chime in with advice. I have a sandpaper board that came with felt that I use to lay my block pieces on, just like the pictures show, then carry it to sewing machine and sew away..it helps keep the pieces in order. I've had it for years, it's been a lifesaver for sure. Anything that helps keep your pieces in order, works. YES, unfortunately, there are lots of HST, (half square triangles) in these 10 1/2" blocks. When a pattern says '10 1/2" unfinished' that means when it's sewn into your quilt design, it will end up at 10". Maybe when this Bee is finished with these 10 1/2" blocks, we'll do something larger..lolo

TSC, you are doing great, just keep on keeping on. Tomara, great to see you posting again. Thanks again to you gals that always help.

Hugs
Jean
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I have a ruler by June Tailor called "Perfect Half-Square & Quarter Square Triangles." IT'S THE BEST!!! Makes from 1 1/2" up to 6 1/2" HS & QS triangles. Costs less than $20.00. (Comes with clear instructions.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576161[/ATTACH]I press all seams open. Makes less bulk and so much easier to match up seams. I press constantly but do not use steam.
I looked up information on the web about this ruler and found June Tailor's tutorial on it. That was impressive and I can see why you like it so much. I should be getting one today and I can try and tackle some of those other blocks. Thanks for telling me about this tool.