Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Quilting Bee, July 2017

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank You Barb for posting all the blocks. I love making HST'S so I am going to start with July and try to catch up. I will pm hostess so I can join.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Happy "almost" 4th of July! I'm home alone for the week as my husband is on a rafting trip in Idaho. I am teaching summer school so I was not able to go. The good part is I have lots of quilting time! Here is my first block. I really struggled with the flying geese as I have never made them with triangles before. (I always use squares). Any thoughts? Other than one missing point, I'm satisfied and excited to make more! I'm thinking I'm going to use all shades of blue and make a "picnic" blanked. Maybe add some red cornerstones in the sashing... but seeing how I only have one block so far, I have plenty of time to think about that!!

Name:  July block 1.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  39.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
    Happy "almost" 4th of July! I'm home alone for the week as my husband is on a rafting trip in Idaho. I am teaching summer school so I was not able to go. The good part is I have lots of quilting time! Here is my first block. I really struggled with the flying geese as I have never made them with triangles before. (I always use squares). Any thoughts? Other than one missing point, I'm satisfied and excited to make more! I'm thinking I'm going to use all shades of blue and make a "picnic" blanked. Maybe add some red cornerstones in the sashing... but seeing how I only have one block so far, I have plenty of time to think about that!!

Name:  July block 1.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  39.9 KB
    Welcome. I think the block looks good. The blues will make a pretty quilt. I am a bad person at not following directions. I do my FG with squares no matter what the directions say. Now I may end up with the quilt police after me. In fact, I should admit that I redraw the blocks in EQ and use my colors in them. Sometimes, I omit seams....oh no!!! But I like what I have done so far.
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-03-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

July blocks

Here are this month's blocks. Didn't want to cut up the roses in the second one so ended up doing it with Y seams. Not perfect but finished! Very pleased with myself as this is the first time that I have managed to keep up with a BOM!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Welcome. I think the block looks good. The blues will make a pretty quilt. I am a bad person at not following directions. I do my FG with squares no matter what the directions say. Now I may end up with the quilt police after me. In fact, I should admit that I redraw the blocks in EQ and use my colors in them. Sometimes, I omit seams....oh no!!! But I like what I have done so far.
    I agree, I use my own preferred method which is using squares for Flying Geese. I often omit seams when possible, too. I'm not afraid of the quilt police because I have two dogs that spend as much time in my quilting area as I do, and they would run them off! Jayne I think your block looks fine! Nice job and nice colors. Zinnia, what do you mean you will "PM hostess" so you can join?
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

JayneW, very pretty...looks good from this end. ;o)

It doesn't really matter how you do pcs, just so they end up looking like the block. I used to be terrified of FG, but now I'll do whatever the pattern calls for.

Pippa, I love your blocks, gorgeous (of course I'm a PINK fanatic, lolo)..

Just Jan, when someone wants to join, it is asked that they PM me to let me know. I have an Excel spreadsheet I keep quilters listed on and the blocks they make. Just easier to keep up that way.

Have a great holiday ya'all..Mine will be quiet, I hope..

My blocks are cut, laying on my machine just waiting for my lazy self to get in there. I should be in there sewing, instead I'm on here. And I am definitely with y'all! I omit seams when possible and make my FG with squares too! I am all for simplification. Loving these new blocks.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Yay! Block two done. Now I just have to do January through June! But the yard is calling me...

Just Jan, Barb and Libster... thanks for the "ok" to vary from the instructions! It will be a nice stretch for myself to try to figure out how to make little changes to the pattern based upon my preferences. Pippa, beautiful blocks. Nice job keeping the triangles one piece, I thought about it, but chickened out!

Name:  July block 2.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  99.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post

Just Jan, when someone wants to join, it is asked that they PM me to let me know. I have an Excel spreadsheet I keep quilters listed on and the blocks they make. Just easier to keep up that way.
    OKSEWNSO, I have to share... I hope you will see the humor in this... Since being on Chemo, I have developed what my PT and the nurses call "Chemo Brain." I either forget stuff or take a different meaning from it! They say its one of the temporary effects of the Chemo. They tell me this will pass and I certainly hope so. Well, when I read that post about she would PM hostess, I read it that she would become an evening (PM) hostess of some sort! I wondered if she was hosting another swap somewhere or maybe teaching/ hosting evening classes at her local quilt shop! Now isn't that just pathetic, but funny! Its embarrassing at times, but if I didn't laugh I'd cry!
    (The average freezer can hold approximately 326 fat quarters - The Guilty Quilter)

I eat, I sleep, I quilt, I eat, I sleep, I quilt... awwwww retirement! I earned it, I deserve it, I'm lovin' it!

Just Jan, with what you've just been through and still going through, it's certainly okay to see a different meaning at times. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all.
    I finally got myself in there to sew my blocks up for this month. Wouldn't you know, when I finished them and went to take pictures of them, it is absolutely pouring rain and really dark out there. My pics look dark but my blocks are done! Ta-Da!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Libster View Post
    Just Jan, with what you've just been through and still going through, it's certainly okay to see a different meaning at times. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all.
    I finally got myself in there to sew my blocks up for this month. Wouldn't you know, when I finished them and went to take pictures of them, it is absolutely pouring rain and really dark out there. My pics look dark but my blocks are done! Ta-Da!!
    Thanks. Your blocks are beautiful, as always. I just love that orange floral and once again you have perfect points!

Thanks, Just Jan. I pin and press every seam as it's sewn. I think that helps me get my points in line.

I'm keeping with my Good Neighbor line and introducing some of the darker colors in this one. I'm really enjoying this swap. I've done mostly one block a month but when I have time I do both. Here's one of them.
    Name:  IMG_20170704_101243635.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  750.3 KB

HAPPY 4TH everyone. Just Jan - LOLO that's ok, I didn't think anything about your statement, I just thought maybe you didn't know new Bee'ers should PM me first, not a strict requirement, but it helps to know who's who...

Ladies, your blocks are so pretty. Sauki, glad to see you post again, missed you. Jayne, the black & gray will make a stunning quilt. Libster, I love your Avatar block, did you make it? Neat pattern.

Here are my blocks - keep forgetting to post..

Name:  July Bee blks.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  56.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Chasezzz, I love your Compass Roses. You must have been hours on that center and it is beautiful. I have quilted for 37 years and I don't think I would have the nerve to attempt something that intricate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    Interesting block. I would love to join the group but i do not know how to post pics. I am going to see if I can make one.
    Zennia, on the Home page of the site you will see a Help button on the top right on the tool bar. Click on that and then click on preparing photos for upload. I don't use Paint but any photo program should allow you to resize your photos. Good luck and I hope I see some of your quilt blocks.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help with the photos. I hope to get started tomorrow when things quiet down here. I will yell for help if i need it and I probably will.
    mark Twain

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have my fabric all picked out and anxious to get started.
    mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Oksewnsew View Post
    HAPPY 4TH everyone. Just Jan - LOLO that's ok, I didn't think anything about your statement, I just thought maybe you didn't know new Bee'ers should PM me first, not a strict requirement, but it helps to know who's who...

Ladies, your blocks are so pretty. Sauki, glad to see you post again, missed you. Jayne, the black & gray will make a stunning quilt. Libster, I love your Avatar block, did you make it? Neat pattern.

Here are my blocks - keep forgetting to post..

Name:  July Bee blks.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  56.8 KB

My avatar block is one that I made for one of our Boom swaps. Her fabric was so pretty that I hated chopping it up really small, so I made a block with large pieces. Then I decided I needed to dress it up a little more. I was pleased with how it turned out. I've just made a 20 1/2" medallion block like that today for my latest great-granddaughter's quilt center. It's looking pretty good even if I did make it. I just hope her Mom likes it.
    Last edited by Libster; 07-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Here's the first of my July blocks, Auntie's Puzzle. The background is lavender. The other colors are medium and dark burgundy, with just hints of pink and purple. Sorry the colors are off in the picture.

Name:  July-Auntie's Puzzle.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  68.2 KB

Just finished my second July block, Midnight Pinwheel. I eliminated some seams and HST by using 4 Flying Geese and 4 four-patches.

Name:  July Midnight Pinwheel.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  67.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
    Just finished my second July block, Midnight Pinwheel. I eliminated some seams and HST by using 4 Flying Geese and 4 four-patches.

Name:  July Midnight Pinwheel.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  67.3 KB
    Beautiful block Jan. Thank you for sharing your construction shortcuts. It is honestly very helpful to hear how other people make the blocks.

" Beautiful block Jan. Thank you for sharing your construction shortcuts. It is honestly very helpful to hear how other people make the blocks. "

Jayne, I'm a firm believer that in life the end result is what counts. I may not do things the same as someone else, but as long as I end up in the same place, I'm happy. To each, his/her own! Whatever works, just go for it!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I've gotten as far as printing out the blocks, my kids are here for 10 days and with Grand daughter Myla, not to much sewing going on at this house. Hope to get them sewn on Sunday.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Good evening, I had a nice quiet afternoon and got to spend some time sewing. I have both of the July block's done and one June. Working backwards but hope to be caught up soon. I t was just so relaxing to look at all your pics and play with my fabric. I am trying to use up some of my civil war fabrics. Not going to try and learn posting pics yet but I will later. having fun, thanks for letting me join.
    mark Twain

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast