Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
New Quilting Bee, September, 2017 >

New Quilting Bee, September, 2017

New Quilting Bee, September, 2017

Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Luv2sew2011 I can really sympathize with you. We had a yellow lab that was 17 1/2 years old put down last fall and it was like losing a beloved member of our family (which she was.) I would love to start working on the new blocks but right now my sewing room is full of potted plants, lawn chairs, etc. that we brought inside. Irma is suppose to hit us early Sunday morning. Thank God, my DGS, came early this morning and boarded up all of our windows and braced our double garage door. My husband and I are both too old to do all of that work in 1 morning. It was truly a blessing. As long as we have power I may try to iron the fabric and get it cut out. My DGD lives near Fresno, CA and the smoke from the wild fires is so bad that the entire family has bronchitis from the smoke and they try to stay inside as much as possible. There are flash flood warnings in so many areas and tornadoes. Some of my family left S. FL and went to northern FL and western GA but I've always felt safer in my own home than out on the road or in a hotel. You don't know where this storm is going to go and you may escape one hazard only to find yourself in the middle of another. Keep safe everyone.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM

LV-- sending hugs. Pets are a part of the family-- prayers going out to anyone in fire or hurricane zones....
Attached Thumbnails pawprints-quote_0.jpg  
Old 09-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Hugs to you Donna.. Carrot, that is a beautiful post. I lost my Zoe`, (Boxer) 1 1/2yrs ago and still cry.. She was the love of my life. They just take your heart. HUGS
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM

Everybody on the lower East Coast- be safe from this storm. It's moving a little more to the west, so we're expecting bad winds, lots of rain and tornados here in NC. And...there's another storm, Jose, right on this one's heels. I think our chain is being rattled to get our attention. Be safe as possible.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:14 PM

I also found some fun modern sampler layouts from this book: https://smile.amazon.com/Quilt-Block...block+cookbook

Some of these would be fun if you only had a few blocks!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Everybody on the lower East Coast- be safe from this storm. It's moving a little more to the west, so we're expecting bad winds, lots of rain and tornados here in NC. And...there's another storm, Jose, right on this one's heels. I think our chain is being rattled to get our attention. Be safe as possible.
Thinking of everyone tonight. Yes...it is definitely an interesting time. Helps me realize what really matters in life. HUGS everyone!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Once when I was a tad bit younger, I had to do some community service because of a ticket I had gotten to get it dropped. So I picked the dog pound, I feed them cleaned their cages. But one day when I was there this man came in and told me to get some of the dogs and bring them to him he put them in a black metal container and turned it on I left there crying never went back. I stood there because I really didn't know what was going on until I heard those babies fighting to get out of there. I decided they can't just put the ticket on my driving recorded there no way I was back to that dog pound , someone should have told me what was fixing to happen. That hurt my heart too much. I wish I had known what was coming I would have left earlier so I didn't have to be put through that torture. I don't understand how men have no feelings and can live with that, no way could I have. Just so you know I didn't know it was a gas chamber until he turned it on.
I cried for days!

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
I am so sorry about your dog, but what a wonderful life he had with you to have lived so long. Animal lover here and it hurts when you lose one or see one being abused. I cry at rescues, I couldn't work in an animals shelter for sure as much as I would like to. I too echo all the prayers and thoughts and best wishes to all those in the storms paths this year. We seem to be getting it bad everywhere. From what I hear lately, it will be our turn up north as they are predicting major snow. I don't think it is as devastating as what all the hurricane damage does. A little elbow grease like shoveling and cleaning off roofs and not going out when you don't need it takes care of snow, but water and wind I can't begin to imagine.

Last edited by Lv2sew2011; 09-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM

We started feeling the effects of Irma about noon today and surprisingly we still have electricity despite heavy rain and gusty winds. I did manage to pick out the fabrics for this month's blocks and get them ironed and starched. I can cut them out when we lose power. It will give me something to do. I never realize how dependent I am on electricity until we lose it. We are on a well so we lose our water system as well. I pray everyone stays save.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM

We're on a well too. So I fill the tub, buckets (for the toilet) and several pitchers.
My latest experience with power out is I couldn't get the garage door opened to get the car out. It's just too heavy.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011 View Post
Once when I was a tad bit younger, I had to do some community service because of a ticket I had gotten to get it dropped. So I picked the dog pound, I feed them cleaned their cages. But one day when I was there this man came in and told me to get some of the dogs and bring them to him he put them in a black metal container and turned it on I left there crying never went back. I stood there because I really didn't know what was going on until I heard those babies fighting to get out of there. I decided they can't just put the ticket on my driving recorded there no way I was back to that dog pound , someone should have told me what was fixing to happen. That hurt my heart too much. I wish I had known what was coming I would have left earlier so I didn't have to be put through that torture. I don't understand how men have no feelings and can live with that, no way could I have. Just so you know I didn't know it was a gas chamber until he turned it on.
I cried for days!
How absolutely horrid. I cried just reading this. My heart hurts.