Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Coyotemagic, I am so sorry...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM

I have found with mystery quilts that definite colors that stand out against each other are best. Once I tried to "coordinate" my colors on a mystery quilt and ended up with a quilt top (nope, cant bring myself to get it quilted) that was ugly. I have to suggest from experience to not trying to coordinate too much. Go for contrast or the pattern all blends together. That is one reason I choose burgendy, light sea grean, (black and white for the little hour glass). These are colors that don't sit together on the shelf too well, but will stand out in variety.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM

I guess I will stay with the yellows. They go with pink and blue and purple too. That even rhymes. LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
Decided to do some ironing that the DH didn't get to on all these QTS's. They are too small!!!!! I was triming them up and realize they are a bit more than a scant 1/4 inch. This is why I don't do piecing. THEY NEVER TURN OUT THE RIGHT SIZE!!!!
Sew a few together and see if they are ok. These things stretch some. Bonnie said something in one of her blogs that I thought was interesting. She said she ONLY uses the tip of her iron to open the seams. I found that this made a huge difference in the size of my blocks. It seems to give you a little more room, as the seam is really opened all the way by pressing with only the iron tip right along the seam line. I used Triangulations and the QST came out perfect. I used strips for about 1/4 of the blocks, then Triangulations for the rest. Triangulations cuts off the corners for you so they are easy to line up and no dog ears to trim. This is the first time I have used the software, got it after last years mystery.

Last edited by JeanieG; 11-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!
Decided to do some ironing that the DH didn't get to on all these QTS's. They are too small!!!!! I was triming them up and realize they are a bit more than a scant 1/4 inch. This is why I don't do piecing. THEY NEVER TURN OUT THE RIGHT SIZE!!!!
Well, if you made a lot of them that way, just keep going. It's the first step, and you can probably make everything following 1/4" smaller. Step #2 calls for 3.5" squares, which you could make 3.25" instead. You'll just end up with a slightly smaller quilt. Just MHO.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 PM

I looked at her page for am long time ... I am so tempted to start this one!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
Well, if you made a lot of them that way, just keep going. It's the first step, and you can probably make everything following 1/4" smaller. Step #2 calls for 3.5" squares, which you could make 3.25" instead. You'll just end up with a slightly smaller quilt. Just MHO.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Got me thinking now.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
I'd caution you against this because of the proportions. 1/4 " smaller on a 3" block is different than 1/4" smaller on a 4" block - different percentage. Until you are more experienced and want to do all the calculations, be aware that you can't just make each block smaller (not the same percentage!) because they won't fit together at the end! I'd sure hate for you to be disappointed with a beautiful blocks that don't match up.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM

Got the vacuuming done in my house and my RV so I ended up cutting strips for the strings and making some in the afternoon!! Yea! I really enjoyed making these strings! I completed about 30. Will post a picture on the other thread tomorrow. I still have to make the QST--they're all cut in squares. But I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with the making of each new part to this mystery quilt, since it's time to get out the Christmas decorations. I have a few Christmas projects to finish. So I may have to wait til after the holidays to catch up. How about you all?? Anyone else going to take a break over the busy holidays?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Stayed up till 11:30 p.m. to finally finish my part 1 224 QST. I am very proud of myself. This was a personal challenge for me. I did it yeah!