Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along >

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM

I finally finished part 1 . Yeah I challenged myself to get it done. Now on to the next step. I have to cut strips first.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SaraSewing View Post
I'd caution you against this because of the proportions. 1/4 " smaller on a 3" block is different than 1/4" smaller on a 4" block - different percentage. Until you are more experienced and want to do all the calculations, be aware that you can't just make each block smaller (not the same percentage!) because they won't fit together at the end! I'd sure hate for you to be disappointed with a beautiful blocks that don't match up.
I agree. It would probably be okay on simple patterns, but with the number of pieces Bonnie uses it could be a real problem. If you are on facebook, you can ask Bonnie if it would work on this quilt. She is awesome in the way she answers questions.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing View Post
I'd caution you against this because of the proportions. 1/4 " smaller on a 3" block is different than 1/4" smaller on a 4" block - different percentage. Until you are more experienced and want to do all the calculations, be aware that you can't just make each block smaller (not the same percentage!) because they won't fit together at the end! I'd sure hate for you to be disappointed with a beautiful blocks that don't match up.
Well, you have a good point there. It's probably not a good idea on a mystery quilt since one doesn't know what size blocks are coming up. She might call for nearly any size, and if a person isn't comfortable doing the math it would be better to remake them. Bummer!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm still trying to figure out which way I should go. I know I've got over 100 these things done. Do I really want to start over?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Sadiemae's suggestion of asking Bonnie on Facebook was a good one. Also, you could continue with the other parts, then go back and remake the part one units if they aren't going to work for you. The units you've already made could be used for a mini quilt or something else later. You probably don't have to decide right now.

Last edited by Foxflower; 11-29-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
Sadiemae's suggestion of asking Bonnie on Facebook was a good one. Also, you could continue with the other parts, then go back and remake the part one units if they aren't going to work for you. The units you've already made could be used for a mini quilt or something else later. You probably don't have to decide right now.
That is true Foxflower - she could use these for a pillow sham trim, or on the back of the quilt. CoyoteMagicc you would have plenty of time to finish them up later on. Because of Christmas last year, I did not finish my RRCB quilt until the end of January. But that was ok with me! It got done to the flimsy stage, and I still have to quilt it - just procrastinating because it is so large!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this or not. Maybe after christmas once all my presents are done, but for now I'm copying and pasting the instructions onto word so I have them. What colors are all of you guys using? I'm trying to think how this will come together with blue, red, neutral, and black and it sounds kind of weird to me. I'd like to do a mystery quilt but I don't want to make something I won't end up liking. anyone else feel that way or is it just me?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this or not. Maybe after christmas once all my presents are done, but for now I'm copying and pasting the instructions onto word so I have them. What colors are all of you guys using? I'm trying to think how this will come together with blue, red, neutral, and black and it sounds kind of weird to me. I'd like to do a mystery quilt but I don't want to make something I won't end up liking. anyone else feel that way or is it just me?
Bonnie's quilts always come out beautiful, so I just follow her color suggestions. It makes it much easier and I know they will look great! I love my last year's quilt RRCB (Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll). Here is a link to last years quilt I made - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t102201.html
Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Coyotemagic, I am so sorry to hear of your triangle problem. I have done things, many, with this kinda turnout and it just makes you mad, doesn't it. I hope you continue with the mystery and the ones you have made can be used in many ways but I agree with others, I would make some new ones. I didn't do very well with my sewing last night. I wanted to watch some figure skating so set up my featherweight on the kitchen table. It goaned and growled and the bobbin thread just made ugles loops. I spent most of the 2 hrs. of skating cleaning, oiling and finally changing thread before I got to sew 2 decent lines. If I try to sew when I am tired, things never seem to go right. So far the little blue string blocks are going well so I just might sew some of them tonight. I going over to see if there are any new pictures posted. I really love all the colors everyone has chosen.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
If you are on facebook, you can ask Bonnie if it would work on this quilt. She is awesome in the way she answers questions.
The answer to the question is, she doesn't know.

Soooo .....now I'm in a cranky funk. I've put them in a bag in the bottom of the box I've got all my scraps in. I guess as this goes along I'll decide if I can cut everything down by 1/4 inch or remake the 100+ QST I have done.