Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Orca Bay Mystery Quilt-Along

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    Sheri, you and Candi and I will all be working on these little things at the same time. I won't be home til the end of this week and won't be able to work on this til next week. We can keep each other company.

It's inspiring to see how much some of you have gotten done already.
    I'll be with you girls, too, keeping company with you, as I can't do any more cutting or any sewing till next week, and only after I clean the motorhome and the house that is overdue for a good cleaning. I do tend to leave the cleaning to the last minute, as I would much rather sew and quilt !!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

That sounds good, us late starters can stick together lol. I'm still not sure how to use my scraps. I have massive amounts...but not of that many colors. I could do like pink/teal/brown/creams but like I said no massive amounts. Like my brown stack is yards not alot of scraps. So would I care if there were many HST all the same. I'd still be using stash. Which is the point, right? I have red and blue too but no black. My only two DArKs are browns and blues. Mysteries are scary. I think I'm over thinking it... And I started weeks ago when I first saw the post about this project....
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    SheriR, I don't have blacks, so I am using browns. You don't have to use scraps, there are a lot of people on her blog and on her yahoo group who use fat quarters, etc... Just have fun!
    Sadiemae

Ladies,
    Let me do some background here. This past summer I "acquired" my 86 year old mother-in-law's 50 years stash. The intent is to use it to make her grandchildren(23) quilts from grandma. So I would REALLY like to use this project as one of her quilts, so I don't want to purchase a stitch. Just use what I have of hers. Here's what I pulled from my cupboards. pinks/teal/brown/creamishes....It wont let me upload my pink/teal....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SheriR; 11-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    SheriR~

There are the pinks/teals.... sorry for two posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Looks Great!
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    Ladies,
    Let me do some background here. This past summer I "acquired" my 86 year old mother-in-law's 50 years stash. ....
    50 YEARS OF STASH??!!! oh geez, we need a drooling smiley!!

I think your MIL would be very pleased with the pattern you've chose for one of those 23 quilts. Love your selections!!!!

We should all take pictures of our color stacks when we make quilts. What a way to step back and see how they look. For instance, Sheri, look at your stack of brown. See the one that is really more blue? Maybe you'll want to use that as one of you teals. And in the pink stack....the one with the black background is really contrasting with the pinks. The rest look awesome and would be great together. What a wonderful windfall to get all those fabrics. Have fun playing!

I'm subscribed to this thread and printed Bonnie's directions, but I'm going to lurk (and probably comment occasioanlly) for now. I really have to make 2 other quilts first. Plus some other stuff. I do love quilt alongs though.

Ladies,
    Let me do some background here. This past summer I "acquired" my 86 year old mother-in-law's 50 years stash. The intent is to use it to make her grandchildren(23) quilts from grandma. So I would REALLY like to use this project as one of her quilts, so I don't want to purchase a stitch. Just use what I have of hers. Here's what I pulled from my cupboards. pinks/teal/brown/creamishes....It wont let me upload my pink/teal....
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    Awesome stash, Sheri. My problem (other than not being at home right now) is that half of my stash is in Washington and half is in Arizona. I will be making this quilt in Arizona, and I can guarantee you, that most of the fabrics I would like to use will be the ones waiting for me in Washington. Seems to be the way it always is, I never have the right fabrics in the right place. Oh well, a shopping trip next week, I bet.
    JudyG

Blog Entries
    I've saved the instructions - need to start soon, have all my fab ready...but MUST finish the quilting project I've got set up first ooooooooo I hate to be behind

Foxflower, Thank you and you're right about the pink/black. The one you call blue is actually showing the wrong side. It's more brown/black. Not an attractive fabric. But who will know in a 1 inch piece?? HA HA

This is the first I've cut into MIL's stash. It makes me really nervous. But I've got a lot to finish, and non of us (MIL) are getting any younger.....

I couldn't wait until next week though and I've gone ahead and cut 1-1/2 inch strips of the browns and most the creams. Then I made 4 QTS? I found, what I thought was 1/4 inch seam is more, so, two of my squares are 1/4 small.... I sewed the next ones a "scant" 1/4 inch and viola??? perfect... Good thing too. I've cut a lot of MIL's browns into the 1-1/2" strips....

I also think I need to find some FASTER to make quilts for some of these 23 quilts.... I'll never finish them if I take weeks. Lap size is good. This mystery quilt will be one of the larger ones I make for all her grandchildren.

The two pics I posted are just the pink/teal/brown/cream part of the stash I'm working with. I have 6 - four foot cupboards of material from her. although some of it is large pieces to use for boarders and backings.

Thank you all, and have a GREAT Thanksgiving. We're going North =)
    Last edited by SheriR; 11-22-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    SheriR~

Ahh, I see. Well, if you hate the front, use the back! 23 quilts is definitely quite a few. Even at one a month that would be 2 years in the making. Good thing there are lots of beautiful and simple patterns. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Foxflower, Thank you and you're right about the pink/black. The one you call blue is actually showing the wrong side. It's more brown/black. Not an attractive fabric. But who will know in a 1 inch piece?? HA HA

This is the first I've cut into MIL's stash. It makes me really nervous. But I've got a lot to finish, and non of us (MIL) are getting any younger.....

I couldn't wait until next week though and I've gone ahead and cut 1-1/2 inch strips of the browns and most the creams. Then I made 4 QTS? I found, what I thought was 1/4 inch seam is more, so, two of my squares are 1/4 small.... I sewed the next ones a "scant" 1/4 inch and viola??? perfect... Good thing too. I've cut a lot of MIL's browns into the 1-1/2" strips....

I also think I need to find some FASTER to make quilts for some of these 23 quilts.... I'll never finish them if I take weeks. Lap size is good. This mystery quilt will be one of the larger ones I make for all her grandchildren.

The two pics I posted are just the pink/teal/brown/cream part of the stash I'm working with. I have 6 - four foot cupboards of material from her. although some of it is large pieces to use for boarders and backings.

Thank you all, and have a GREAT Thanksgiving. We're going North =)
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Orca Bay quilt

I'm in, but haven't started yet. I have Triangulations and plan to look into using that.
    Charlotte in Arizona

Blog Entries

A fast Lap quilt pattern that I use a lot is the Yellow Brick Road. 6 fat quarters and a yard of boarder fabric--DONE!! I'm also working on a Disappearing 9 Patch that was really easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    I'm in, but haven't started yet. I have Triangulations and plan to look into using that.
    Charlotte in Arizona
    I used Triangulations - it works great! I did use some strips also, and did them with the Companion Angle Ruler. Be sure to check how you sew the ones with the Companion Angle Ruler......I sewed on the light color side as Bonnie said to do......wrong!!!! I had to unsew a bunch! The light color fabric was on the right when using Triangulations - the light was on the left with the Companion Angle - sewing both on the light side of the fabric. Hope that makes sense!

Blog Entries
    I used the Companion Angle ruler and sewed with the light on top just like Bonnie's photo.
    Now press, press, press, press, press, press...lol I know there is an end in sight.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    I've been sewing, cutting, and more sewing. Boy I'm slow!!

I don't have my Thanksgiving Quilt either!!

Name:  IMG_08832.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  1.70 MB
    Name:  IMG_08842.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.44 MB There's always next year

Blog Entries
    Coyotemagic, I love it!!!!
    Sadiemae

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    Coyotemagic, I love it!!!!
    DITTO!! I love Snoopy and that fabric is adorable!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    I don't have a pic yet, but I am finished!
    Sadiemae

Sadiemae: Congrats on finishing all those QST!!!!!

That us such cute Peanuts fabric. Ooooh do finish it!!! And thanks For the YellowBrickRoad tip. I'll be looking that one up!
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Thanks ya'll. The fabric was part of a vest I had made a few years back. It came out back in 2002 and is very rare now. I know someone who has a piece of it on Facebook and wants $75 a yard!!!! They are crazy!! I'm working on a Snoopy/Peanuts quilt/wallhanging for each month/season/holiday for one wall. I've been collecting Snoopy's since I was 10years old, I'll be 50 in January. I've got 35 stuffed ones of every size, plus musicboxes, figurines, you name it, I've got. My Goddaughter is a Snoopy fan too. She just got her first apartment and for Christmas I will be giving her a big tote containing every Hallmark Snoopy ornament that has been made since she was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
    I don't have a pic yet, but I am finished!
    Woo Hoo - I've only gotten 75 done - long way to go!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
    Woo Hoo - I've only gotten 75 done - long way to go!
    I am not very fast, so this step took me a loooooong time. It is a relief to be caught up, now I really have to clean the kitchen. I can't find anything in there...lol
    Sadiemae

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast