Pony Club Thread 3

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

Hello Jan! Good to "see" you again. I still look at our block swap quilts and think of each of you who participated.

So...I am working on cutting patterns for the new FW Medallion quilt and like to pre-measure for cutting my fabrics for the paper piecing. It has been so long since I have done this and I can't remember...when cutting HST, do you add 1/2" or is it more than that?? Ex...the finished triangle measures 3" on the 2 short sides....so do I cut the square 3 1/2" or is it 4"?? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I believe you add 7/8" for cutting HSTs...
Old 06-24-2020, 03:41 PM

SBG--thanks! I don't know why I couldn't remember, then I tried looking it up and different websites said different things...still going on little sleep so my brain seems fuzzy most days. The last meds I was taking for migraines caused insomnia and even though I have been off them a couple weeks now it hasn't gone away!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Good to see a bunch of old folks...haha..show up!
Old 06-24-2020, 04:00 PM

I'm no help. I usually use scraps for paper piecing, and can't seem to get the hang of figuring out how to put the fabric upside down, inside out, mirror image, backwards, or whatever it is! :-o I've done so many mistakes with paper piecing, you wouldn't believe it! I add an inch on all sides to be safe, but can still goof up. The finished blocks are superb, though.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Here's a pic of the PC blocks I've made previously. I am looking forward to adding to them.

Attached Thumbnails img_0385.jpg  
Old 06-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I had to look up how to do paper piecing online! After all the 1930's blocks, I had forgotten!
Old 06-26-2020, 03:55 PM

SBG--I remember a couple of those blocks! It's great that you are working on the PC blocks again! I need to pull out my 30s block but want to get my center done for the FW Medallion quilt first. RR round is done for the month, so that is next on my list.

It is so great to *want to* sew again!! Seems like the migraine meds are working...it is just one injection/month so hopefully it lasts all month long.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Carrie, your RR round turned out great.

I take a monthly injection to control hives!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I had to look up how to do paper piecing online! After all the 1930's blocks, I had forgotten!
Me too SBG. Do you think we can use the templates and enlarge them some to use for the PP??? Like instead of using the 1/4" (2/8th on ruler), use 3/8th?? Can anyone help us out here? I also found a UTube video on how to cut for really weird slanted pieces. I was going to put the link here, but now I cannot find it - figures!!!