Pony Club Thread 3

Old 06-27-2020, 04:21 PM

I have been working on this all day it seems.

I printed out the templates and the layout for the templates a couple of days ago. They are labeled A - G (only 7 templates in the whole 16" block. I colored in the layout with the colors I am using.

I then printed out the paper piecing layout and sheets on newsprint. I realized that I had to color the paper piecing layout also, as the numbering series does not jive with the regular piecing layout. Regular has letters A - G, Paper Piecing has A1, A2 etc. After I colored the PP layout in, I took the paper piecing newsprint sheets and put the color I am using in each box as well as the template number. I have attached a picture of a pp sheet showing this (if anyone is interested).

I then decided to try using the templates for cutting the PP pieces, instead of just chunks of fabric like I had done in the past. I had cut the templates out including the 1/4" margin, I traced around the templates, and I eyeballed another 1/4" when cutting them out. That worked well, but are a little too big, I think. I'm going to cut it down some with the next piece I do. I have attached my first piece, it has all the colors I am using except a medium brown and light pink.

The only good thing about this block is that it is the only one that is going to take us forever, all the others are 6" or 8".
Attached Thumbnails 2-rising-sun.jpg   1-rising-sun.jpg  
Old 06-27-2020, 04:53 PM

Well done, SBG. Lovely blocks, well balanced, just about perfect! Enjoyed seeing them and remembering doing them.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:55 PM

SBG--great blocks!! I am looking forward to getting back to working on my FW 30s blocks in the next couple of weeks.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:04 PM

Jeanie, It looks great! All those little calicos, it reminds me of the 70's. I think that carriem would like to see your pictures in her FWMedallion thread? :-) She was wondering how people were getting along. That's the FWM center, isn't it?
Whoo hoo, SBG, you rock.

Last edited by givio; 06-27-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Jeanie--great start! I have the papers cut and colored and fabrics picked. Planning to cut fabrics this week and start sewing the center block. Still waiting on some of my yardage but I have plenty of FQs to get me started.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Since I found the 1/4" cut around the templates was too much, I changed that to 1/8". I just eyeball that amount. They are coming out real good,. Soooo, if you want to print the templates (only 7 in this big block), you can trace around them on the back of your fabric, then add about 1/8th inch when you cut them out, and you will have a great size for your pping. I think it will save a lot of fabric that is wasted the old way. Also I print my templates on cardstock. Both the cardstock and the newsprint that I use for the PP patterns have gone through several different printers that I have used. I buy the cardstock and newsprint in 8 1/2 X 11 ($4.41 a ream for newsprint) online at Blick https://www.dickblick.com/items/10204-1085/

Old 06-28-2020, 05:40 AM

Jeanie, Thanks for sharing your experiment. It sounds like a good way to waste less fabric, which is one of my complaints for pping--- although it doesn't matter so much if I waste some as I have plenty, plenty of fabric! It's just the 'waste not, want not' feeling I get that makes me want to conserve. So you trace on the back of the fabric? Does that mean the pattern piece is right side up, or wrong side up? Do you get the cardboard from Blick too? I think Blick is a great place to shop-- such a diversity of nice products there. It must not be thick cardboard if it goes through a printer?

Last edited by givio; 06-28-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 AM

When I PP I use freezer paper. I always print out each pattern twice & iron, the one I have chosen for the fabric pattern, on the back of the fabric. I buy FP that is in 8.5" X 11" sheets & can go through the printer.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Jeanie, Thanks for sharing your experiment. It sounds like a good way to waste less fabric, which is one of my complaints for pping--- although it doesn't matter so much if I waste some as I have plenty, plenty of fabric! It's just the 'waste not, want not' feeling I get that makes me want to conserve. So you trace on the back of the fabric? Does that mean the pattern piece is right side up, or wrong side up? Do you get the cardboard from Blick too? I think Blick is a great place to shop-- such a diversity of nice products there. It must not be thick cardboard if it goes through a printer?

The paper I use for the templates is called Card Stock. I found this at officesupply.com: Neenah Paper Exact Index Card Stock, Smooth, 110lb, 94 Bright, 8 1/2 x 11, White, 250 Sheets. This was $8.30, which looked like a great price compared to some I googled. I have had mine for years, same specifications as this one.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:32 PM

I started my center today...I'll finish cutting fabrics tomorrow, just wanted to test/make sure my measurements were correct.
Attached Thumbnails img_1834.jpeg