Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/%5Bdear%5D-jane-stickle-cyber-block-party-jan-2010-thru-may-jun-2011-a-t28063.html)

luvmortherest 01-05-2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter

Originally Posted by MoodyKim
My quilt is scrapy CW fabric and kona indigo. My DH keeps calling it My Million Dollar Baby so I guess it will work as a name. The smile he has when he is calling it that lets me know he really doesn't mind and he drove me 90 miles to a quilt store on Sat. so I could buy some more fabric.

He's a keeper. :-D

sounds like a keeper to me :-D

Brazen 01-05-2010 11:39 AM

I'm busy working on Week 2's blocks.... they are taking me longer, so I am glad I'm a little ahead. LOL! I spent 2 days trying to do that BR2 that came out wrong, so I'm doing the 3 blocks and will go back to that triangle when I have Klue's directions right in front of me.

Tiffany 01-05-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
My husband thinks I've been out of control with fabric also. Truth be told, I have more than I will ever use in this lifetime (mums the word)! LOL

You know you are not allowed to die until you use up all your fabric. I'm pretty sure that's a rule somewhere. :wink:

Originally Posted by martha jo
Thanks for the suggestions. I live on a rather isolated ranch and am handicapped so don't get out much. I just seem to have a mental block. Read everything I could today, did find I had some books in my library on such and tried again. Not real happy with results but will start over tomorrow. I really would like to do it. I think maybe it would help if I traced the patterns on thinner paper. My paper won't run the thin stuff through. I ordered the cd from Connecting Threads and it should be here soon. Hope it works on a Mac. Haven't given up yet. Don't let it be my age - Ha!

If your paper is a bit thick, try this trick. Unthread your sewing needle on your machine and then go over each of the lines. This will perforate the paper, making it easier to rip out once you've actually sewn it. It can take a bit of extra time but it's so worth it! I do this to all my paper piecing projects and it's really made a difference. I use regular copier paper, which can be a bit thick when compared to vellum, but I haven't had a single problem since perforating the paper first and then going back and sewing everything together. Hope this helps!

sunrise450 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

I have a question. When you are paper piecing, how do you start on a line on your paper.
I probably worded that wrong so I will try again. When you finish sewing a line in pp. you stop and always have that extra thread left over. Then when you go to the next line you have the needle thread to contend with.
For regular sewing I sew off onto a scrap of fabric and use that same fabric to start up again. You really can't do this in pp so how are you all handling this.
I love pp but hate those darn threads.

BlueChicken 01-05-2010 12:55 PM

I just cut mine when finished, and hold the starting threads nice and firmly out the back of the machine. You can see where I've been lazy and haven't held them because the machine pulls one in and I get a loop underneath at the start.

I used to perforate the paper before starting too... sewing along the lines with no thread in the machine. But since I started using a much smaller stitch length I haven't bothered and I'm finding it just as easy to get the paper off.

kluedesigns 01-05-2010 01:03 PM

i just trim the threads that are towards the inside of the block and the ones towards the outside edges get cut off when i trim the block down to size.

cheriffic 01-05-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by sunrise450
I have a question. When you are paper piecing, how do you start on a line on your paper.
I probably worded that wrong so I will try again. When you finish sewing a line in pp. you stop and always have that extra thread left over. Then when you go to the next line you have the needle thread to contend with.
For regular sewing I sew off onto a scrap of fabric and use that same fabric to start up again. You really can't do this in pp so how are you all handling this.
I love pp but hate those darn threads.

I use a very small stitch length (1.2) if you really want to be sure you can do one or two back stitches at the end but it really isn't necessary the stitches are small and tight and alot of time they get crossed over with other pieces anyway. Yup just cut them
Cher

bchuggins 01-05-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
If your having trouble printing out paper for piecing, I would recommend trying the Vellum paper Klue recommended. I was able to get it at a local Staples, but you can also get it online.

Was it the same brand? I don't want to pay the postage but I have a staples nearby that I could go to.

Brazen 01-05-2010 04:23 PM

What brand IS the vellum Klue and others are using? I've been using regular copy paper, but I wouldn't mind trying out what the pros around here are using! :D Thanks!!

bchuggins 01-05-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brazen
What brand IS the vellum Klue and others are using? I've been using regular copy paper, but I wouldn't mind trying out what the pros around here are using! :D Thanks!!

http://www.thepapermillstore.com/pro...roductid=26163 ---- Here is the web sited