Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/fws-pony-club-update-photo-discussion-completed-page-t206507.html)

QuiltE 03-28-2013 03:30 PM

Do I detect that OKSGlad is telling us that she is a young'un?
Sorry ... you let it out of the bag before! :)

CarrieM ... heck we all know it's all good tunes for listening!

QNSue ... glad you got a positive from your DD. I got the same critiques from a friend that my cow and horse for were not so true type! So don't worry about your DH ... it's artist's impression! Being that we have basically the same printer, I checked the manual and did some googling and didn't find anything that looked possible. If you figure out the mirror image, please let me know, as many times I've wanted to do that too!

Anael ... yea for you and your Easter Present! Did you get a lesson from your dealer about the BSR? It seems that people either love it or hate it ... and as you said, it's the old "practice practice practice" that makes the difference! xxxfingers crossedxxx for the SewGrands eyes.

Honchey ... Glad you enjoyed your trip down memory lane! We used to have a family sing song around the piano at times, in harmony and with parts, so it was a favourite. Speaking of trips, are packed and ready to blast off on Monday? :D

GGal and JeanieG ... more raised on Sunshine! :D

JanRN ... Got an idea ... put in one of those special sun lamps in your ceiling in the sunroom! :)
So you've got holly leaves mastered!!! I'm no master of FMQ, but one thing I read that might help you, is that you use a print fabric, and practice, tracing around the edges of the design ... so I'm thinking something with curves would be a good way to practice ... a paisley? or a large floral? or ? I say this, but I have not practiced that, though it makes total sense to me.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa MrMiraB has gone out fishing!!! :D
So MiraB ... have that friend ship me her Sweet16!! :) Minor shipping costs, right? :D

And you're not going to believe it ... I FINALLY got around to downloading the Mariner's Compass blocks! Anyone have any way to figure out how much background fabric one would need to do all with the same fabric? I'm wondering if you calculated the full 12" square, if that'd be enough?

P.S. ... don't want anyone to miss this!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t217557.html
and you already know whose thread it is! :D

PPS ... and where the heck has DDamsel disappeared to?
Out finding your mind? ... or perhaps your serger book? and FFC? :)

janRN 03-28-2013 05:12 PM

Anael & Mirab, thanks for the invitation. I'd love to visit both of you. I don't blame your friend for being afraid of her Sweet16---I get heart palpitations when I get near mine LOL. QE, I do exactly what you suggested. I practiced on flower print and paisley print fabric and I did great. I drew the same designs on my quilt blocks and plfft! Not good. I'll just keep practicing and maybe something will click. I promised myself if I FMQ for 2 hours then I can piece a block. I have so many blocks I could cover my car.

QE, I bought some beautiful dark navy batik fabric for the backgrounds for the Compass Star blocks. Wasn't sure how much, just guessed and got 5 yards. I think that's way too much but I love the fabric. I'm really anxious to make these blocks and hope they'll be our next "ride". Anyone interested?????

deranged_damsel 03-28-2013 05:13 PM

gone.... waiting in my hiding hole... till the sun comes back out.... dreary day! I have spent the ENTIRE day sewing... and havent gotten much done... so MUCH unpicking! noooooo I still cant find the serger manual and I spent all day yesterday searching for it... sigh.... that FF had better be someplace nice... like Hawaii.. that sounds nice.... :D

Tomorrow I promised Sis to come pick her up and take her shopping for household items for her new apartment... FUN! Im exhausted already... sigh!

here is another of my favorites to sing to the babies :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4T3tMkjRig

HA! I got you all fooled! Im a young' un also :D I married a crabby old man!!! it has aged me 100 years at least! :D

carriem 03-28-2013 05:32 PM

Figured I better check in tonight...I have all 3 borders on, binding strips sewn together and ironed. Tomorrow the binding will be sewn on and down (I do mine with the machine). I ended having to make 2 trips to town today so my quilting time got interrupted a little. That is ok though as tomorrow we don't have school and DH is off work so I can go out to sew even earlier than usual. :) Glad I did my running today as now I can stay home all day. Once my binding is on, then next I start BB quilt!

Jan--I have done a little (very little) FMQ practicing and it will be a long time before I feel confident enough to try it on a block, let alone a whole quilt!! :) Hope our sunshine comes your way in the next couple of days. It is supposed to get to 50* here tomorrow.

QE--I am "in" to do the compass blocks if we decide to do them as a group. I was wondering on the fabric for background too...I think your idea of 12" for each block is a good one...then add a little...at least that is what I would do. I haven't thought about what fabrics yet.

Honchey 03-28-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DD, you're not alone!!! I can't find my FF fabric either...I know it's somewhere...

Jan, I was told thatif you FM doing squares and and triangles in the beginning that you will eventually do the loop de loops with no problem...Try it.... We'll have to take a vote on the Compass Star and if everyone agrees we'll be on another ride...

QuiltE & GGal, my packing is coming along fine...I know what I'm going to take...it's just a matter of getting it all together..hahahahaha!!!!! :)

My grandsons colored eggs tonight and here's a photo of them....

JeanieG 03-28-2013 07:05 PM

Oh what cuties Honchey! How fun to color eggs with them! I still remember those days with my own boys!

I'm on for the Compass blocks. I'm just so far behind with everything! LOL

QuiltingNinaSue 03-28-2013 07:12 PM

I am in with compass blocks....if you all will tell me what to do when....and keep me on track like you have been dong with FWQ and PC.

Real cute picture, Honchey. Brings back a lot of memories. Thank you.

QuiltE 03-28-2013 07:21 PM

Oh dear!!! ... I think I have started something!
I really didn't intend to get everyone revved up about the Compass Blocks ... just me FINALLY getting around to the download. I will confess, I did like them, and started daydreaming!

As for age ... only as young/old as you feel and act ... I think I am a middle'un ... after some of the ages being given! :)

You never guess what I did tonight ... watched S16 youtubes! :)

JanRN
... That threading looks a challenge, without a needle threader for my poor eyes! :) Congratulations on your discipline! Such a good way to keep yourself at it ... rewards! And what blocks are you making now? Starting the compass stars? Better to have too much fabric, then not enough!

DDamsel ... Can you find your serger manual online? So is Sis moved into her apartment? or living elsewhere til then. From Sunshine song to Nighty Night songs! Lovely song ... remember it well! :)

CarrieM ... have FUN tomorrow in the clubhouse, so it looks like you'll have some Easter candy for us this weekend! :)

Honchey ... adorable kids! What a good Gran you are to have them colouring eggs! Now get that car packed for an early start on Monday. And be sure to REMEMBER everything you need for sewing. You can forget most everything else! :)

mirabelle 03-28-2013 07:29 PM

Ok so who is the youngest amongst us ??? I'll fess up I'm 57, not 58 until later in the year. Me thinks it might be Carriem:eek: but is she going to tell ????????????

I definitely want to make the Compass Blocks so if anyone would like me to calculate how much background fabric is needed just let me know. 18 blocks in total maybe 1 every 2 weeks what do you all think..

Honchey such a beautiful photo of your Grandsons.

QuiltE the Sweet Sixteen has already been gifted to another friend in the event of her untimely demise.... otherwise it would be coming home with me

carriem 03-28-2013 08:00 PM

Mirabelle--I don't mind sharing my age...I am 33, will be 34 in April. If you are planning to figure the background for the compass blocks, I would like to have it. I think one every two weeks sounds do-able...maybe start in May to give everyone who wants to participate time to get fabrics collected and other projects completed?