Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   THE PONY CLUB 1st Milestone 15 Block "SHOW & TELL" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/pony-club-1st-milestone-15-block-show-tell-t181065.html)

oksewglad 03-06-2012 07:56 AM

Thanks for the great mini tut, dublb:thumbup:
When I make a 1/4 inch border (or any narrow width) I cut my border piece 1/4" larger than I really need. Sew one seam and press. Next I trim the border strip the finished width of my border + 1/4"; then sew the second seam, naturally using my 1/4" guidelines on my machine.
Round up those 15 lead ponies and get them posted riders so we can all enjoy:)

dublb 03-06-2012 08:10 AM

Ya'll are so welcome! I failed to say to make your second border 1/4 inch bigger than you would have before Another words if your finished size is 2 inches, you would have cut it at 2 1/2, but now you need to cut it at 2 3/4. 'cause you are gonna cut 1/4 off. I tried to cut my tiny border before I put the last border on & for me that didn't work. We all have ta do what works for each of us.:)

dublb 03-06-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5036071)
When I make a 1/4 inch border (or any narrow width) I cut my border piece 1/4" larger than I really need. Sew one seam and press. Next I trim the border strip the finished width of my border + 1/4"; then sew the second seam, naturally using my 1/4" guidelines on my machine.

Oops! I didn't see your post before I posted again! Yes this would work also.

gardnergal970 03-06-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by fryguymoore (Post 5035758)
I love that 1/4 inch border. I never would have thought to do that. It seems like is would show my errors more.

I hope more people post their pictures. I love looking at what everyone has done so far!

Part of the trick is if you put it around each block it isn't always 1/4 when you do the final assembly. That strip can be used to square up all of the blocks that need a little nudge and the eye will never see the small difference in width. This is particularly affective when you use sashing.

dublb 03-06-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5036071)

Oops! I didn't see your post before I posted again! Yes this would work also.

dublb 03-06-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 5036304)
Part of the trick is if you put it around each block it isn't always 1/4 when you do the final assembly. That strip can be used to square up all of the blocks that need a little nudge and the eye will never see the small difference in width. This is particularly affective when you use sashing.

I like this idea! If you need 3/8 you can plan for that & make it come out square! Or what ever you need. Awesome!

QuiltE 03-06-2012 02:56 PM

DublB ... thanks for the pic. I"ve done the tiny insert on a wall hanging and also on my OBW as a flange. See links ......
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t158113.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html
Doing the inserts was sure a test of how straight you can sew when you do the 1/4"inserts. The flange in the second link was much easier to get the width right.

Thanks for your mini-tut
DublB ... now I want to see the quilt that goes with the pics. Nice and cheery!

GGal ... great link!! What an array of ideas for sashing and cornerstones. I can see how it can work. Of course, the trick would be finding the "perfect" fabrics to use.

Everyone ... if you didn't look at GGal's link, be sure to do so. There are SO many ideas. Even one where the cornerstones are NOT square, but diamonds. And another with mini Friendship Stars for the cornerstones .... and so many more ideas.

QNSue ... Mission Accomplished with your pic posted of the 15. Great balance of colours there

FryGuy ... Another great showing. Nothing wrong with your blacks. They're helping the colours and designs to pop.

oksewglad 03-06-2012 06:12 PM

Whew, DH and I survived our meeting. Thanks for the background support. Really making it sound worse than it actually is. Having an open discussion makes it easier and after 25 -30 years of doing it well it gets to be routine; just a lot of prep time and making sure you haven't forgotten to add something or take out items sold. Off to the sewing machine to get some blocks sewn! I've had withdrawl the last 2 days!

Termi 03-06-2012 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, lots of fun seeing all the blocks put together and everyone's looks great!!! It is amazing how different they look being the same block patterns. They're all going to be beautiful quilts!!! I haven't thought of sashing or corner blocks at all. To be honest, I didn't think I'd make it this far. You all have inspired me greatly. Here is my grouping.

JeanieG 03-06-2012 07:27 PM

Termi, those blocks are just wonderful. You made it this far, so you in for the long run!!! Great Job!