Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
The sky I fused my fabric to visaflex then cut it into half inch strips & cut again into 2" to 4" lengths, placed them & ironed them on, then stippled it to catch all the pieces.... sort of like I read about a "confetti" quilt. When I get closer to the foreground, I will do small squares....at least that is the plan, but plans sometimes change!
A lot of work but it turned out great! I like the effect.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:12 PM

Elizabrat, I love your sky blocks, especially with the sun. I wanted to try to incorporate that but have given up because I couldn't make it work. Maybe next time. And BTW, I love your exuberant ramblings.

Too many options??? I agree!! What I said to myself was, "I'll save that idea for the next one."

Some was talking about the color of water near and far. I read on one of the landscape blogs that mountains and water are opposite. Near mountains are dark, getting lighter as they're farther away. Near water is light, getting darker as it's farther away. Opposite. That has really helped me. Elizabrat, you probably already knew that, being an artist.

My second row is mountains, all paper pieced. I'm almost finished. Water will be at the bottom of mine and I'm going to use the snail trail block to be the closest waves.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-20-2015 at 03:44 AM. Reason: remove copoyright image
Old 03-13-2015, 11:01 PM

Just checking in to see any completed row 2's? I havent started mine yet as I have to finish mystery 8 & 9.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 AM

ok I disagree a bit on that. the mountains yes they are more detailed in front and less in back fading off into the light . but the ocean is darker the farther out you go and everyone knows it. if you squint when you look at the colors of what your doing you will see the depth you want. my ocean is lighter as it gets closer because the tropical waters are shallow near the shoreline and sheer you can see the sand beneath them. I have been to the tropics many times and often you can walk out 100 feet and still be less than waste deep in water.. that is shallow water hence more sheer right? and the sky? if you look at the sky in the morning.. its pale on the lower half light real light on the bottom but darker as you go up. so its all artist perspective and eye I guess. My eye sees things one way and someone elses will see it another. I like to just do what feels good lol. this feels good. so I am giving it a try!

I have done two mystery quilts. I liked the companionship of doing it but was not happy with what I ended up with. not because the design was bad but didn't like my choices once I knew what the design was and well heck.. next time I swore I would watch it til it showed what it was going to be THEN make the quilt in the correct colors lol. unfortunately by the time they are done I am into four other projects! I have six baby quilts to make. six of them! two for each of my children. I want something left for their babies to be. groan! I am working on a monkey quilt for a boy quilt or a girl quilt I suppose. I need a cute pattern for a larger monkey to be in the center. ideally not applique. anyone suggest a pattern? oh yes and not working on the second row til Sunday that is my day off so its dedicated to this row robin. Monday will be for another quilt that I must finish. got one block half finished yesterday. whoop whoop! only 2.5 more blocks to go. they are big blocks so it takes longer and all those points.. ugh. I hate points! lol
Old 03-14-2015, 08:20 AM

Whitepine, love how you are doing your water waves, the fabrics are awesome.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Played this morning with my water. Making three "blocks" of water. It is all sewn together, not fused.
Attached Thumbnails sea1.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 View Post
Whitepine, love how you are doing your water waves, the fabrics are awesome.
I agree that the fabrics are awesome, and I wish they were mine LOL. I should have made it clearer that that was just a sample and a goal. It was on pinterest.

Travelinggramma, I LOVE your water. Do you clip your seams when you sew on a curve like that, or is there enough give? Beautiful colors. Enough swells for a little surfing I think.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:27 PM

whitepine - I sew with a 1/4 seam and it doesn't need to be clipped. I iron it anyway it wants to go!!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM

oh wow love your water! you are whipping through this fast traveling g! you don't need to clip the inseams to get it to lay straight even though its curves? how do you do that? I am dying to know love your waves but also love the blue colors that whitepine had shown that was angled clippings. just realized I forgot two boom blocks that need doing so today has to be used to finish those up asap then tomorrow I will play with my cubed water. I do like that yours are going in rows so now I am thinking maybe times to rethink it. please post if you don't need to clip yours in back and what you did to iron it so it layed so straight without clipping. I am all ears!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJvnKfqopF0
this a good tutorial on curved pieces by Rob. Hope it helps.
My ocean will be in three parts, seamed in a diagonal curvy seam.