Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Wow, that is a bunch of beautiful pictures. The one with the sun's rays is amazing. Really inspiring. Something to think about in bed at night, although sometimes that can keep you awake.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Whitepine: I avoid thinking about quilting in bed when I'm trying to get to sleep. That is a sure road to insomnia, I really thought I was the only one.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:38 AM

LOL Emma! so true so true. I get my mind going on ANYTHING and nix sleeping. get up? no its more fun to lay there apparently and dream about the next thing I need to do. nutbar? absolutely. I admit it

I am hoping today is my lucky fabric day with my boy. I want so bad some white (need it for 10 things) and some grayish white for the sky. not much but enough to add variety to the darned thing. I am looking outside right now. the sky is a stunning blue. the lower area is lighter then white clouds with a hint of gray shadowing. I am nutty like this. One time I sat in a chair and made a list of the different shades of green I saw in my garden. amazing how many you see when you truly look. do it without telling anyone just sit somewhere outside and check out blues or greens or browns etc. you will be shocked how many shades make up one branch or the lawn or sky. its fun. try it! btw I found 18 greens that day good thing I didn't have to paint that! would have spent all day mixing my greens!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Emma, you are absolutely right! However.....by thinking about quilting, I can stop other "gotta, shoulda, coulda, woulda" types of sheep from wandering into my brain. LOL.

Elizabrat, Do you do painting too?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 PM

Elizabrat, I like the sky in Post 32 but I cant figure how it is done. Will you be giving us clues how to do stuff or is it a research job we have to learn. thanks
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM

post 32 the middle picture with the autumn trees
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 AM

VickiM - I looked at this - a lot - and zoomed in and out. I think the sun is def. paperpieced. The rest is a mishmash of fabric. The sky/sea is all different prints with an applique boat. the beach and water is just different fabric that has been fussy cut and put together like a crazy quilt patchwork. Take this into a fabric store and you will see some the bits and pieces that the artist put together.
We are artists - using fabric - to create something . So if you have the fabric, anything is possible.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 AM

m-fay wish I could help you. I would do it in strips myself. I like a sky done in horizontal strips. this way you can piece some of one some of another color and end up with a variety of colors that meld together. Also just me but I would applique a sun on the fabric and have the sky tones come right up to it (applique on fabric but after the strips are done. Mark your fabric where you want the applique to go and don't run stripes under it but up to it so there is not a lot of extra thickness to your fabric. just me. how you would do it is your choice! pm if you have any questions but there are lots of players here who quilt better than me just send a pm and ask them! I do things as simple as I can. I have done snippet art work before my favorite is a western scene that is on my wall of two cowboys on horses coming towards you and away from the mountains. I started that one by doing the sky then the mountains then the desert then the cowboys in forefront. There is a book called snippets I think that I got the idea from. She did simple wreaths and things but I thought if you could do that.. you could do.. and well there started the painting with fabric thing fused it all down most pieces are pinky size. way to use up your scraps big time. just fuse a piece of your scraps at least 4x4 and then cut little pieces with your scissors randomly over the fabric as you go. some smaller than others. whola! you end up with something you like. I strongly recommend you sketch lightly on your fabric what you want placed there. ie for me drew some very basic horses (I cant draw) and some plant spaces and then mountains and such behind them so I knew where I wanted things to drop. moved the fabric I cut with tweezers. its a super fun thing to do and heck you have the fabric... why not try something new? you don't need to know how to draw or paint. You just have to have fun so I am taking this idea and transferring it to this quilting project. pick a picture and reproduce it or part of it in a quilty fashion. (think I made up quilty not sure it sure doesn't look right!). I will have at least one block of my row done by the 2nd so if you want to start on yours a bit early go for it. come on over and start on mine for me too! lol.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

m-fay, I can't see how it's done but it sure is cool looking.

Vicki, how do you do that attachment thing? Makes it so nice to know what someone is talking about without doing a big search.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:00 AM

I water color paint. I love it. I wish I was better at it. So I use fabric to paint with instead! have you been thinking about what your going to attempt this month? first row is sky. even if you a row robin traditional format you need to think of what is your first row. Are you going with beachs, mountains or desert? are you doing a birthday or holiday instead? this way we can help each other with ideas! so ladies.. what shall it be??