Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 AM

This project is to be what you want. We are simply quilting along with each other and doing it in rows. You can do a picture like I will be doing or you can do rows of things that represent what you feel is best for the theme you chose. its that simple!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 AM

One love love love that selection of traditional row robins posted by cj? It is a terrific picture and I hope that everyone gives it a look wow the photos shown on just that one page! same with pinterest.. check out row robin quilts and you will find so many ideas. I am drawing today my sketch. I figure its one step at a time, I have a block for a boom that is due so gotta get that one done and then I am free to work on this. One step at a time. I figure I am recovering from my last surgery but if I do a little each day I will accomplish a lot! ok little every other day as I have clinic on tues, thur and Sat and boy am I so tired those days I can only sleep. a good 4 hour nap and I am semi ok. so Mon Wed Fr and Sun are open to me still and with that I can finish a few blocks a month surely I can! love coming here and talking with all of you. It keeps my spirits up and my heart smiling so thank you. Question: do you want me to post each month photos of quilt rows done in the traditional way or do you want to see blocks done in another fashion? clarifying traditional. Christmas theme equals blocks say a row or bells. or a row or stockings. a non traditional theme is more: a sky, a middle ground picture .. and so on? I can only do so much so if I am posting for three themes per month I need to know! I will show only one block and how I did it. other themes will be shared by members here who are doing something completely different. If I had a person doing a traditional theme row robin who would like to do those postings let me know! then I will do the non traditional theme. with ideas of other quilts being shared by you each month there will be lots to pick from and inspirations to be grabbed! I will post pictures this weekend of the fabrics I have chosen for the sky. I have lots of fat quarters (all piled neatly in color stacks thank Heaven!) and several blues to pull from. Yahoo! no shopping required! light cream and gray for sky variations and I am golden! then to figure out how to start my first row so I can share it with you on the 2nd. Its coming up quick so keep thinking! and peaking all over the internet and share cool photos you find for ideas in your category!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 AM

I am in...when are we suppose to be done with the first row? Doing 'sky' will be fun.....hmmmm
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM

Linda - I don't think you need to spend a lot of time searching for photos to post. Rather we all should be sharing our search finds with each other. You are a wonder and an inspiration to me.
macybaby - thanks for sharing that post. The sky with flying geese was what my mind was visualizing for my beach sky. I am thinking about 3D flying geese.
I hope everyone posts pictures of their ideas and progress. If we get stuck, hopefully everyone will help out. I love the communication on QB and I get to know so many.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 AM

Difergie, Done!! We haven't even started yet! Elizabrat is officially starting March 3, so right now we're just thinking, planning and researching. Some of us are so excited that we've already printed off patterns.

Linda, I so much agree with travelinggramma, that you don't need to spend time on themes other than what you will be doing. Yours will be inspiration enough that we can each go off in our own direction with ideas from each other.

I love both the farm and the garden idea.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM

The third one down is how I want to do my "sky" probably use 1" wide by various lengths.

http://www.leenb.com/3-easy-quilts/
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 AM

I'm off to my favorite fabric shop - she is a LAQ that buys excess fabric from quilters by the pound and sells it at $4 a yard. So you never know what you'll find, and it's great if you don't need a lot of yardage of any particular fabric.

I already know I don't have enough blues or greens for what I want to do, and DH wants to get out of the house since it's a nice day today.

I also have Cynthia England's Picture Piecing book - so I think I'll use that method for the buildings. I'll keep them rather basic since they aren't going to be real big.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Those are gorgeous Elisabrat. Some look like watercolor quilts and it's hard to see the actual rows. I love how artistic they look as I paint pictures and want to create some "art-y" quilts.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

OK-I'm HOOKED-where do I sign my life away? Let's get this party started WOOOOWOOOO. I have TOO Many Ideas!!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:05 PM

No sign ups necessary! just join in on the fun and share what you can when you can! its that hard. phew are you tired yet? I pulled my blues and light blues and pale grays today for my sky colors. the color difference in the blues is enough to show light and darker sky tones. phew again. all off my left over scraps of fqs or less! tada! ok could easily get into a quilt store and buy more but.. thinking will try to use these up first. after all its improve it can be mixed up textures and colors! my friend is as blind as I am lol without readers so we will do well with this gift love the pic of the sky colors shown what a great idea! thinking of going with a sky I posted first off of a tree and sky? little square blocks of color sorta moving up and down? that is my sky. was going to do a row or strips some fatter some skinnier but thinking color blocks with some being 2.5" and some being 1.25 so that it has regular 9 patches and others with four blocks to make one 2.5'" block variety is the spice of life! going with a light sunny sky.. nothing major nothing dark just easy on the eyes enough for those shades we will need but not enough to make you squint with your glasses on! When I lived in the southwest we had sky variations amazingly colorful. real blue dark blue, soft pale blue and they varied so greatly during the day. night skies amazing! loved the monsoon season would go outside sit in a lounge chair on my deck and watch the beautiful night skies. dark blue! purple! hot pink when lightening strikes bright white serious white when lightening was going in amazing spires all over the place. the sky there was like no where I have ever lived. Here we tend for sunny morning skies and afternoon clouds .. today light gray and white skies as its snowing. ok is its skies or is it sky's? lessons here go ahead teach me. grin. I forget daily.