Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Linda; You come up with such great ideas!!! I just love this one!!!!! I'm leaning towards an Alaska theme. 2 years ago my DH and I went on a week cruise, followed by an inland excusion for a week. It was my #1 vacation. It was great and we saw so many wonderful and pretty things while there. This would make a great memory quilt, if it works out well from my brain to the quilt. So I hope I have time to work and complete this project in 6-7 months. I will keep you posted. Again thank-you for another fun adventure to start in March.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:50 PM

OK, I love the whole idea of this project, love the theme, and I have so many ideas of ways to interpret it. I'm just afraid I won't get it done...but since it's not a swap, if I don't complete it by a particular deadline, I'd only be letting myself down. I'm going to join!

I'm using as my theme "Peace that Endureth." It is a line from one of my favorite old hymns, "Great is Thy Faithfulness." I'm going to use some of the images from this song that speak of peace for me...morning, sun, moon, stars,the change of seasons, nature. I have lots of ideas, but only a clear conception of a few of them. I'm sure I'll build my design as we go along. Thanks for the challenge!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
I was just going to stalk this one for a while, BUT...I've stalked long enough and I'm in. sounds EXACTLY like an idea I've had for ages with no idea how to do it. peace and tranquility to me is camping in our arid australian bush with corellas flying overhead, a kangaroo or 2 and some emus,, a camp fire and stew cooking in a camp oven. Can I do all that in this quilt and QAYG sounds a great way to go as well. I'm gunna love this!
Can't wait to see what fabrics you choose for this...you have such different fabrics there! And, because I know you, I knew you couldn't resist too long!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

I grew up in Southern California...grew up a "beach girl". One summer I stepped on a stingeray (never forget that pain). From then on, never will go into the water unless I can see the bottom...so didn't go in the water much after that. Also, grew up with a pool in backyard, so that water was fine. Since living here in Florida haven't gone in the water at all & seldom even went to the beach. But I remember the days before all that pain...now I can stick it in a quilt! I will add lots of things to it...memories & wishes of memories! That will do it for me..........
Old 02-19-2015, 01:45 AM

Elizabrat. the middle pic is the sky that I love. will you be telling me how to do that or will I have to research it. Oh I cant wait to get started and I have done what you suggested and folded a paper into 5 sections, calling them, sky, distant landscape, middle land scape, fore ground (2 sections) and applique added after.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Has there been a start date set yet?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:46 PM

Oh my mind is running. I am on board but don't know which way yet. I think I know, but I have some research to do first. Let the fun begin.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM

March 2, Gramquilter2..... but lots of ideas are swirling around ahead of official start.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 AM

I'm considering it, though I keep getting confused as to exactly what is being talked about. I looked around more yesterday and "think" I may have a better idea. many of the row qults seem to be just rows of different blocks, but some do make more of a picture, but still noticable rows.

I found this page (third picture down) - is this sort of what this Row Robin is about?

http://quiltedleaf.weebly.com/mystery-history.html

I've got two ideas - going off the theme

One is the family farm (gone now), I though I could do the sky, back fields, house and granery, shop and newer red barn, old red barn and then forground. I figured I could run the "driveway" vertically up the quilt as the buildings would be laid out like they actually were. I've also got a lot of clothing from both my parents that I can incorporate in, so it will be sort of a "memory" quilt too. I have wanted to do some sort of memory quilt - I already did up sketches of the buildings, but so far nothing I've though of seemed "right", but I think this could.

The second idea is a flower garden, because gardening is my other passion - and that would work out well. Same basic idea of a garden path that goes up into the garden, with the back row being the sky, and the front being at my feet. I'd make a trellis with a rounded top for the boarder.

I'd incorporate some of my favorite aspects of the gardens I've had at the three different homes I've lived in as an adult - so it will be "made up" but based on parts of real gardens.

I've already found a "sky" I really like. I found some really neat night-time skys too.

On a side note, after looking at some row quilts, I was considering doing one that was the "garden" in each season, but that would not end up with an overall "picture" - which I think this project is intended to be.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 AM
dd

Wow Macybaby, you really thought this through. I love the farm idea. You could still have a garden in that one.