Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM

dfelker, What a beautiful picture! It is definitely an inspiration. Can't wait to see what happens next.

travelinggramma, I'd never done a snail trail block either. Turns out it's just a block-in-a-block starting with a four patch in the center. I had a paper pieced pattern for the wave that was really nice, but it had four times the number of pieces and I just couldn't face it. : )

Thanks, lurker Sandy, for your comments. I'm having great fun, never having done one of these things before. It's just wall hanging size, and however it turns out....it's the journey. And since my journey right now isn't like Travelinggramma's (a little envy here), it's in fabric.

Sherri, Hope you join in. We're just moving along at our own speed. (and re: 2015...Wrong.)

I'm still working on my water. I'm doing a paper pieced heron that I'm trying to incorporate it in the waves. You know, for some things applique is the better choice. This pattern wasn't that hard, I just am having trouble. Since I started with paper piecing, I thought I would be consistent.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 AM

Welcome Sheri! And it's your world you can start a NEW row by row if you are so inclined.

Whitepine-a PAPER PIECED Heron... I can't wait!!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 PM

Another late starter...I've never done anything like this but have been wanting to ever since I came across Elisabrat's Medallion quilt-along. I just found this thread yesterday and just got through all the posts today. My problem is that I have three distinct ideas and can only choose one. However, I promised my daughter-in-law a throw for Christmas and have even started a few blocks (though I think I'll be ripping them back down into their sub-units) so that eliminates one idea (unless, of course, I bite off more than I can chew...none of my other quilting projects have to be completed until September at the earliest...but I better stick to one). We live in the Ozarks with hills, trees, fall foliage, lakes...Liz loves to hike and unfortunately their little family will be moving away soon as my son has joined the military...so an Ozark themed quilt would also serve as a memory of home...maybe sunset sky to represent the end of one season...I'm thinking that I'll use triangles for the water and there's always sailboats on the bigger lakes where she grew up. But I also want to incorporate some traditional blocks...like maple leaf in a variety of colors for the beauty of fall...what's a good size for a throw?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 AM

Koriana - Welcome - love your thoughts about the Ozarks. Some of us will be putting traditional blocks on the sides of the piece so your maple leaves would work well. We all have a variety of ideas and have to pick and that seems to be one of the hardest thing to do. I can only imagine what an artist with a blank canvas in front of them must go through and how it changes as they add colors.
As far as size - I think of a size that will cover you when lying on the couch. that is about 45 x 60.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM

Thanks, travelinggramma...I stayed up most of the night and drafted out my idea for the whole (subject to change, of course) and it comes out to 48X65...(no borders along the length). My sky and water sections are similar construction and I'm including a picture of my draft...I still have to shop my stash and see what I have to make this vision a reality. I'll play on my design wall a little bit to get the sun rays and reflection just the way I want them. The rest is planned as rows of traditional blocks except the bottom section which reflects the area's musical heritage as well as Liz's personal connection to music.

Sorry the picture is blurry...I was too lazy to go downstairs to the scanner and just took a photo...still it conveys my idea.
Attached Thumbnails ozark-sunset.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Koriana wowsa. if you can do that good for you! I think it will be such a wonderful quilt! those half square triangles are not so hard but you sure have tons of them! that would make me quake in my shoes! lol ok I am lazy. yup. I said it. I am so tired all the time this dialysis is whooping my tail that simple is what I am inspired to do these days.. I am going to cut my next few blocks water colors and sand colors in the darker shades. still trying to find how to do the edge of the water as its lapping the shore. any ideas? I have dark sand colors and then really pale ones which is good. I have a block I have cut out that I must finish today for a swap and then I am ready to go. oh yes making beef jerky in the dehydrator. if you have any good recipes for the old machine let me know. I have been doing banana chips, strawberries (so good like special k cereal lol) and apples. tomatoes and bell peppers. butter nut squash too. my favorite is dried persimmons. no special treatment at all. just cut into slices and dry 12 hours those I swear to you taste just like dried pumpkin pie. no sugar added. cant understand it but who cares? its so good! you can see this is a new addiction for me. ok my son sent it to me now I have to use it and be good at it before he visits in two weeks lol. I have only dried persimmons before lol and now I am panicked so please send your recipes to me asap. tomorrow I will try peppered jerky today is the teriyaki. always something on the menu for trouble lol. no energy to cook dinner afterwards darn it. soup, canned? marvelous lol. this is my crazy life and I set it up like this. what am I thinking?
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM

oh yes dfelker love picture like that I did a water color of a long dock, the lake water and trees in the background. wow .. you made me smile. if one can do it with water color one can easily do it with fabric. they make great board back ground fabric perfect for cutting into your dock! tada!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 AM

oh yes and Sheri R show us the one row robin you have started. why not work on it here? you don't need a new one work on that one! two deals for the price of one! you finish up a ufo and well we get to see the progress! a bin of kits? are you just trying to kill us with envy? lol I know I am ready to dive in and pick one for me!

this is a good forum for the new type of row robins and the old style too. its all good. we all share and we learn along the way. those waves done earlier? omg that is such a pretty row. a heron? really? wowsa you are too good for words! I cant wait to see it, the good the bad and the ready for tossing try agains. we all do it. if you think everyone is a perfectionist or perfect the first try around you are dead wrong. Quilting is a learning process. we try, we share and we learn. that is the wonderful part of it all. when your done. you say I did it and you know.. its pretty darned cool.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM

Koriana - you have colored crayons and you know how to use them!! Great picture. And as the focal point of the quilt - wowsa as Elizabrat says. This will be so much fun to watch.
Sheri - this is show and tell....not just tell. it is our inspiration.
tomorrow will work on water - something like walking on water?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Okay, shopped my stash and think that I have everything that I'll need for the sky and water...like many others on the board, I'm committed to using from my stash as much as possible...I have a good supply (buying for many years and finally a little more time to sew)...some people (well, anyone who knows me, actually) say that I'm addicted to fabric...sky is more oranges and reds (never quite gets to blues; just a deep purple)...the photos are pretty good on the colors but some of the lights are a little washed out...I went with grayish blues because that's more realistic for most of our lakes...Taneycomo is spring-fed, so it's bluer (but also COLD...good for trout fishing but not for much playing). A lot of the blues also have little touches of yellow which should also act like sunlight caught on the waves (I hope, anyway).

Okay, now to finish binding a quilt that I'm delivering next week and cut some black sashing for a string quilt on the design board and start making HSTs for the sunset...

Thanks, Elisabrat, for organizing this project...I know it will be fun and I'll learn a lot. I love seeing what everyone comes up with and appreciate all your encouragement and inspiration. Plus, I need a little accountability (and/or deadlines) to help me stay on track to finish my creative projects (or housework...) ;-} (my impish grin)...Thanks, everyone for making this board so much fun to read.
Attached Thumbnails sunset-water-1.jpg   sunset-water-2.jpg