Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

All of you are creating such beautiful art. Love it!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 AM

mfay think I answered that question earlier but if this isn't clear just PM me and I will try. I cut strips for the sky. different sizes and widths. sewed them to add up to 12.5 inches each square then sewed the squares together. the sun was a hit or miss (more miss this round I think) and just added color to make the idea of sunshine over water. each block I checked against the new one as I was sewing it so different sizes hit each other not the same 1.5 to a 1.5 inch strip from the previous round.. no pattern. just playing with colors. I am no where near as good as say koriana ? in her design process. I went off this book I once had on wall hangings that were using quilt fabric but all was fused? cant think of the name right now came out about 12 yrs ago plus minus. I made the cowboy quilt doing the drawing of the design first (based on a card I had received and liked). I drew background, next level and so on til I got to the forefront. then I drew the plants and horses and such and did this on muslim fabric with a pencil. then I just snippet the picture together. that's it! it was called snippet quilts or snippet wall hangings! tada! this was the basis for this current quilt. all quilted but similar concept. just a lot harder as its not all fused together. I trust that not too much and sure don't think I would like to try to stitch all those seams! lazy again. sigh hanging head. too tired. not hanging head over that cant do much to fix that. speaking of which time for clinic again. decided the next section will be a combination of squares and strips so its similar but slightly different . at least I am on the next stage of cutting and sewing! will share when I get some progress. wish me luck. think the applique over will help and the round robin traditional all around it will modernize it and traditionalize it all at once. hey are those words? lol they are now!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Koriana, Wow. Love your sunset! That is going to be great. And batiks are perfect for it. And also, thanks for the sketch because I wanted to put a little island in my water and couldn't figure out quite how. I've never been to the Ozarks, darn. Somehow I thought I would be traveling more in these 'golden years' but it hasn't worked out. Part of the problem is having pets. Can't live without them, can't travel with them. : )

Brat, Sorry, I have no ideas on that water's edge thing. It's such an important part of the beach scene, just sitting and watching the waves come in, inching their way up the sand. I just got my book yesterday (the one you have) and leafed through it briefly. I'm definitely thinking about the next one. Maybe it will be the years we spent in Fairbanks, Alaska. With no paper piecing!

So here's the heron that is in the water. I'm going to try to blend the water strips on each side. A curve!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515669[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1200424-%25%25.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Whitepine...love all your paper piecing...when you said you were doing a heron, I was mystified...thinking it would be a gazillion pieces...the silhouette is still a lot of pieces but absolutely gorgeous.
I know what you mean about pets...we're off to San Antonio next week to see my son graduate from USAF boot camp..and my husband was fretting about our dog...I was able to find a hotel that allows pets, so now the husband is happy and the pup will be ecstatic. It's nice that more and more places allow pets...but even then, an animal still limits what can be done when you travel...but like you said, we wouldn't want to live without her.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM

We have a golden doodle and can't imagine life without her. She gets me out the door in the morning and meeting the other campers as she loves loves loves people. There are a lot of pet friendly hotels around, just have to google it!
I was really planning on doing my water today - but two weeks of laundry, filling propane bottles, visiting, and computer work took all day. UGH! Tomorrow I get to grocery shop with my mother for Easter Dinner, and Saturday I will be over her house to do the prep work. Plan on bringing my sewing machine and maybe get some waves in (and to help with my sanity!)
Love your heron - you will have to give it a name!!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Speaking of "Wowsa!", Elisabrat...your cowboys are terrifically awesome. As I was reading your description of your drawing ability...I envisioned something totally different...but, Wowsa! Don't downplay your artistic ability, lady, that quilt shows an amazing talent...so of course, your kids all want it.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM

mfay is it my imagination or is that the same post as before? if so write me.

that heron is amazing. you are so incredibly talented wow. major wow factor. I will work hard at getting some small water sand difference. in my heaven's beach there are no waves just lapping water on the shoreline period. lol. I personally am frightened of waves and therefore don't want waves. at all. same with spiders. no thanks. ugh! I do want a little frothing at the shores edge. not sure if that needs an embellishment added? like a lace? pain to do but might work. not so good at this stuff requiring sewing lol. the fusing design is easy and great for a wall hanging and you might just go to that book I had suggested earlier Lovely landscape quilts on amazon. there you will find four or five pictures of other quilts in it. you will need to do one trust me when you see it. its such a visually eye stopping idea. lol. ok same with regular quilt books but this one .. is different from the rest and what a lovely thought.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:15 AM

Elizabrat...yes I think is must have been. I couldnt understnd why you were answering it again. I just been having a quick look to see the latest work then off again. I am busy in the yard...planting fruit trees, new chook and duck houses and also, with autumn and all this delicious rain, WEEDS.I have done my second row, but when I matched it up to the sky, I found I had used the wrong blue, so I will unpick tonight and hopefully get it done on Monday. (along with April BOM and #10
Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 AM

ok Mfay must be my computer because there it is second to last post same post you had put on a while ago. what the heck? lol computer loves me I guess.

this weekend is a cutting weekend for me. that is not to big. got to run to the grocery store on Sunday (only day of the week spouse has to help me with any errands I have). it will wipe me out so there goes Sunday but upside is.. nap time! I will get a real nap on Sunday! yahoo! its another day around here. no kids so no group activities for us. they will be coming on the 18th which is exciting so its fine to have a nice quiet day. I still have a few easter decorations sitting around. some bunnies that I made one dimensional basic bunnies. sewed a cotton ball on the tail the nose has a tiny tiny one and beads for eyes. put some blush on them, glued a ribbon around the neck with one of those silk rose flowers that are tiny (wedding department) and well.. they are running across the sideboard with baskets of stone easter eggs. tada! décor done. lol.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:24 AM

m-fay, You're busy with fall chores and we're busy with spring chores. I forget sometimes you're on the other side of the globe. Amazing isn't it, communication I mean. I had to look up chook, of course. What fruit trees are you planting.

Traveling with a dog has it's problems, like where to go for a 'walk.' But traveling with three cats isn't an option. One time though, I did see people traveling with a cat. It was on a leash and walked right along. Even went up to a dog and sniffed noses. It may have had an identity problem.

I'm still working on water, trying to put a little island in it, but it's looking a little silly. Guess I need to go look at some more pictures for ideas.

Last edited by whitepine; 04-05-2015 at 06:29 AM.