Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:37 PM

Wow, Whitepine...I love the combined rows...I think I may try a paper pieced dogwood flower to alternate with a traditional maple leaf block for my next row...I drafted it myself (simplified from one I saw on pinterest) and it's put together in quarters with each part being 3-1/2 inches...only 10 pieces per section (40 per flower) and I'm planning to use 4 in the row...but if I struggle too much it may be only 2 or even none...but you're paper piecing is so inspiring...I just want to give it a try.
I've made progress on my Ozarks themed quilt...sky (done), water (done), seasonal mountains/hills (pyramid border following Quilter's Cache instructions (roughly, anyway)...finally done. Next, is the maple leaf and dogwood flowers row...then a row of Arkansas Crossroads laid out in a zigzag fashion to represent hiking in the Ozarks (something my daughter-in-law loves and misses now that they're in TX). Then my final row which will combine some curved piecing with hand painting and other embellishments.
I'm auditioning a thin black sashing around the sunset/water...what do you all think? The top is currently about 62" across. I haven't decided if I'm going to add any borders yet but I have been playing with the idea of using cornerstones of Dutchman's Puzzle with some flying geese (with my son in the Air Force...they can end up going in any direction)...so I may use this as a border around the whole quilt or maybe just as another row above the sky.
Anyway, enough rambling...below are a few pictures of where I'm at in my project. Thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails ozarks-rbr-3rows-thin-black-sashing-audition.jpg   ozarks-rbr-3rd-row-seasonal-pyramids.jpg   ozarks-rbr-3rd-row-closeup-fall-winter-night.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 AM

Pyramids are 6" blocks (finished)...so it takes 10 to go across...2 of each block...would it look better to reverse the flow (and the block direction) so that the black mountains would frame the others???...this would also place two winter blocks together...okay, I folded some fabric & used some extra pieces from cutting the smaller triangles for a quick mock-up...how does it look? Do you like it better than the original sequence? I included a close-up of where the 2 winter blocks come together and the direction changes...what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails ozarks-rbr-row-3-alt-sequence.jpg   ozarks-rbr-3rd-row-winter-meets-winter.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 04:29 AM

Your doing an amazing job Koriana. I don't see a change of direction on the mountain blocks but I have the cruddiest of eye site especially with darker blocks. I am sure whitepine or someone else might better be able to help you out with that. I just know I like it that simple block surely does look like a bunch of mountains how you figured that out amazes me truly it does.

I did not get the last block done but will finish that this weekend. I just got too tired and tried to sew but with zero results. I had to put my head down every two seconds and was spending more time down than up so decided it ws not a good day to sew. Tomorrow however is another day and have picked out the block to center with. I really like that black fabric with tropical birds and flowers so think that will be the number one color pick then think it needs some hot pink for the center of it. think maybe some bright blue also not sure yet. the new block of the month hasn't come out yet on the facebook site so might be perfect as it comes out on Monday. I can wait that long lol.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:11 AM

Thanks, Elisabrat. I got to go to a couple LQSs yesterday and picked their Row by Row patterns...they were tropical and made me think of your quilt...with the water theme this year, it looks like many shops in my area are going tropical and/or with winter snow & ice...a couple have river scenes (these may be my favorite) and I saw where some in MO have sailboats...I've only picked up 4 patterns so far but my family reunion next month will allow me to stop at 5 more shops on the way and I got to peek online at a couple patterns and I just love two...yippee!! Seeing family and stopping at quilt shops...runs a close 2nd to being at home in my sewing room.
I hope you're feeling better today, Elisabrat, and I'm looking forward to seeing your rows all together.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Default Sort of a row quilt

This is my latest NYC quilt, made for my daughter moving to Oakland, Ca.
Attached Thumbnails lily-oakland-quilt.jpg  
Old 07-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Having quilting friends is a true blessing. My Bee has 11 totally awesome women, who make amazing quilts.
Online, I have met a few steady correspondents & our wonderful Lynnie.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Koriana View Post
Pyramids are 6" blocks (finished)...so it takes 10 to go across...2 of each block...would it look better to reverse the flow (and the block direction) so that the black mountains would frame the others???...this would also place two winter blocks together...okay, I folded some fabric & used some extra pieces from cutting the smaller triangles for a quick mock-up...how does it look? Do you like it better than the original sequence? I included a close-up of where the 2 winter blocks come together and the direction changes...what do you think?
I like the second "revised" layout better, flows much better not as "choppy" w/ that dark mountain in the middle.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Thanks Kassaundra...I think you're right and my husband totally agrees, too.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 AM

Dot...can't help but smile when I see this quilt...the shopper is just so energetic...it's infectious and just says "city bustle". You're daughter will love this depiction of NYC.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:30 AM

The shopping bag is a label from an Oakland tee shirt Lily gave me. Oh soooooooo far way.