Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Truesharp Electric Sharpener by Grace. It was $54.00 plus shipping, even found my invoice, bought it 5-18-12. Didn't know it did the 60 size blades Jean, guess I never looked since I don't have one. Maybe I better put 1 of those on my wishlist. I really like mine and it saves alot of blades. I kind of bit the bullet when I ordered it because of the expense, but so worth it.
    I want to see some pics of what you make MaryT, send me some pictures so I can look. Yes, I do have skype, will have to load it on the laptop downstairs though and see if the connection is fast enough. They tell me it's slow because of going through all the concrete and stucco walls in the house, apparently WI-FI doesn't deal with that very well. And I am serious, inside walls are stucco in most of the house. My Dad and Uncle were building a bomb shelter, nice and safe I guess, but you sure don't try to pound a nail very often 'cause once you do it's there. Will load it and test to see what the speed is and let you know later today.

Blog Entries

My scrapes from the 70's to now

still need to cut the 2 1/2"sqs im sewing 12 blocks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    esther

Wow.. did I read that right? These are scraps from the 1970's till now? I cannot imagine your stash! Jealous!

Wow, it took me so long to read thru everything that it timed me out and I had to sign back in. I really needed this train ride. I didn't join the last one because I had to finish my fighter jet quilt, which was well received. And I am not able to do this one as I just lost my father and am trying to get things together from that. So you ladies and all your comments and chatter and pictures have been a blessing for me today. I will follow you all and see what the end results are of all the beautiful pictures I have seen so far. Nice work.

Blog Entries
    Made it!! before clue #2. Sulabug, I love your florals.
    Name:  scrappy1.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  392.9 KB
    Last edited by whitepine; 01-04-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    AnngelAnne, My thoughts are with you. It's a hard time. Take care.

OK I did not whine or go supernuts on the list because I actually thought I was more controlling than anyone. Yeah Right. This is the second scrappy but, my first was one very controlled and all from clothing scraps. So here goes and I'm on time. I did get picky about the pressing. Name:  dutch baby for the kids.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  88.5 KB

OH that was my contribution to the club car. whooops, here's the 9 patches.Name:  9 patches for mystery.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  361.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chefbwarner View Post
    OK I did not whine or go supernuts on the list because I actually thought I was more controlling than anyone. Yeah Right. This is the second scrappy but, my first was one very controlled and all from clothing scraps. So here goes and I'm on time. I did get picky about the pressing.
    OMG what is this yummy looking goodie?
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Thanks, Jaba, going to go check it out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    AnngelAnne, My thoughts are with you. It's a hard time. Take care.
    Thanks, whitepine.

AnngelAnne so sorry to hear about your father, prayers to you and your family.

Have made my nine patches and cut out the rectangles, just waiting for tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    The train just made it here to Northern Vermont..........if there wasn't so much darned snow I could leap aboard! First I will go check the stash of 4.5 squares and If I have enough, I will board. Just what I needed, another project! LOL
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

That is a Dutch Baby pancake type breakfast treat. Just whip so much air into the milk and eggs that they fluff in a super hot castiron skillet. That was before the toppings: lemon or fresh strawberries. OH can't forget the "low" calorie whipped cream on top of it all LOL We do not have those all the time but they are goooooood. Sort of like a poofy crepe.

Thaks, Jaba, I just ordered the sharpener on your recommendation. Hope it works for me as well as it does for you.

Blog Entries
    Sure I sewed up all my 4.5" squares, but I have lots of fabric to use so will get busy and catch up for this ride. I do have some blocks, a dq, and table runner to finish up, but this could be fun to go to after the hussle on those and since there is not time limit, I will get busy on the fun cutting. yes, I love to cut fabric. I even have new blades in my rotary cutters to get going on.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    Made it!! before clue #2. Sulabug, I love your florals.
    Name:  scrappy1.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  392.9 KB
    Whitepine............your blocks turned out really pretty too!! I sure wish that I had a few of your floral fabric's in mine. Thank You for the compliment. I am so excited to get the next clue!!
    If you see someone without a SMILE, please give them one of yours!!

Gee I didn't think I would have time to do this. But here they are all done. I put them in the bag and just grabbed and sewed. THey came out very interesting.

Name:  DSC_0257.JPG
Views: 638
Size:  1.42 MB
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Blog Entries
    don't hate me 'cuz I'm not scrappy. I decided to board the train at 1:47 today. Went into my sewing room to pick out some 4.5 squares from the stash and there, sitting in broad daylight, on my sewing table, was a collection of 4.5 squares I had cut from leftovers of the quilt I am currently working on. What's a girl to do? Put these away and look for 108 OTHER squares? Oh, I don't think so....... So this is my palette, and I'm going with it. Now, to cut those 2.4 x 4.5 rectangles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    Truesharp Sharpener: After seeing the discussion here yesterday, I found it on the Walmart web site for 38.90 (plus shipping/tax)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Oh, I like that color pallet Paulswaila, I think you did good!, it will be easier I think to pick your A and B fabric's

Jaba/Jan, I will send you pictures when I get them off other computer. Today I am working on a quilt, queen sized for a customer that is having me take all of the favorite pieces of clothing from her 3 children, We are doingthe QAYG technique and so far so good!

Sadly to say I will not be here tomorrow for next clue, but the good news is I have a friend who is moving and she has a lot of her Mothers sewing and quilting stuff. She wants me to come and get it! She has boxes of Original 1930's!!!! I am not a big 1930's fan, well not yet! But am thinking I am going to have wonderful trading power! I will be posting pictures on the trading thread when I get to look through it all!

I also ordered the sharpener, will let you know how I like it!
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I want to see all that fabric first Miss MaryT, you better send me some pics, okay I'm stingy, don't have a piece of 1930 in this house. I'll trade....and you know I do, heehee....Sorry didn't get time to call you today, working on SP pkgs. to get them in the mail. Now I have to sew on binding like crazy, by hand, don't like machine binding very well.
    I really think all of you will love the sharpener. I have found that the trick is to follow the directions and "spin" it as long as it says to and to do your blades before they become so dull you can't stand it anymore. I really do love mine and I'll be interested in what you think. Rain check on that embroidery tute MaryBeth, gotta' get all those F8"s cut too for the Booms. I'm going to make myself go nuts with the getter done attitude. I'm taking deep breaths.

I ordered the sharpener on Amazon for same price, no tax. Hooray, no more buying blades! I had a bunch all taped together ready to go in the trash, will rescue and sharpen when it arrives.

Hold up the train! *pant pant* You got room for one more on there?

Just saw this thread in a link from another thread. I love a good mystery; I love scrappy quilts--looked like this was right up my alley--or, er, down my track, so to speak.

As it turns out, this one fits with me particularly well. Part of my "cleaning up after finishing a quilt" routine involves a scrap-cutting system, inspired by the Bonnie Hunter system for the most part. If the scrap is big enough, I refold it, but most of the "leftovers" get cut up: starting with the biggest pieces I can get from the scrap, moving down to the smallest. I take a nickel or two (I have lots of nickels now that I've never used, but hey, I have the books!), then I take 4 1/2" strips (I get some really long ones from backing scraps), then 2 1/2" strips, then 2", then 1.5". Any strips too small or uneven go into my string pile.

So, for this project, it was a snap to break out my 4 1/2" strips and start cutting squares and rectangles. It was like a trip down the Memory Lane of Quilts Past...and the sad (or fortunate?) thing is that when I was done I had made scarsely a dent in my 4 1/2" strip stockpile.

SO, without further ado, and as I pass out some mulled wine to make up for holding up the train, here are my blocks for Part One. Can't wait to see what develops!

(Yes, I have an...addiction to novelty prints. Hope that won't be an impediment...)

--Q

Blog Entries
    i saw the diesel engine pulling this train, and good thing it's a monster. there are a lot of us ladies on board with lots of different material. what an interesting train ride this is going to be. sooooooo glad to hear all the chitter chatter here. what fun. hope you all have a good comfortable sleeper car, cause i know judy doesn't get up tooo early. i usely check in by about 10 a.m. michigan time, and she has given the clue. we've tried to wake her up sooner, but i guess she parties hardy on friday nites, and sleeps in on sat. morning. right judy? see you tomorrow morning.

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast