Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride >

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Stash Buster Scrappy MYSTERY QUILT Mini-train Ride

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I finally can post a picture of my 9 patches. I was sure they were going to look awful with some of the colors I was using. But I like how it looks so far. I hope I can start the next step tomorrow night. I have 2 table runners to finish tonight. I have 7 finished and 2 more to quilt. One of the last 2 is mine. I have been making table runners for my mom for the last couple of years. I never know what to get her. SHe is 85. I think she has 10 now. She has fun playing with changing them and putting pretty stuff out of her china cabinet on them. I don't know what I am going to give her when I run out of table runners.
Square table toppers for the kitchen table?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Yahoo. I have finally caught up, and am now awaiting the clue. I really think I will be making another of these in a
larger size and using scraps from my stash. Was lazy this time. I really enjoy these train rides. This is the 3rd one I have done. Thank you, Judy for being the engineer.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Living dangerously, I jumped aboard from the last overpass and clung onto the roof for awhile... that's the huge kathunk you heard earlier. Then I just meandered around the cars for a bit and video conferenced Dad to get his outlook on the subject, especially since he is the chief ironer of projects. He said to get on board with the project but don't go cuttin' a bunch of squares since you have tons of 5" ones just laying around.

Sooooo I have made 12 of the 9 square blocks out of my 5" squares. They ended up being 14" x 14" so this will be a super train project. Dad (82 yrs young) is the quality control inspector for this project also.

This looks a little wonky but the design wall is flannel backed table cloth hung over the china hutch so all the curves and handles make things looks a little wacko...and the camera skills could be better. I know there's some other "boomers" on board (and they are a wild and crazy bunch) this should be interesting. I'm off to make my calculations of the increased sizes I'll be needing to use with our bigger blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386359[/ATTACH]

If you haven't signed up for the next Boomerang exchange -- go check out the link and have lots of fun there too.
Attached Thumbnails mystery-train-3-clue-1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Wow, I'm taking a rest in the club car for a bit. I brought out some of the ham and potatoes I made today. I've gone mine partially done and here is a peek at it. It looks better through the camera lens, lol, the thing is very 'busy'.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386364[/ATTACH]

Excuse the little 'flappy eared' triangles. Some of them I just folded over and sewed down, it was easier than cutting off the bits and I like the look of 3D
Attached Thumbnails minitrain2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Ok. Here is my step 2. I was not too sure about my a and b choices but it is growing on me. Time to find the sleeping car!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM

Everyone's is looking so good, I had to finish some things this weekend to be in the mail tomorrow. Hoping to get this last clue done tomorrow, but I do have a fault. I get on this computer in the morning to look at the posts since I turned it off and seems like I'm still here at 10 or 11 a.m.....then shower and dress and it's 1p.m. before I'm on the sewing machine and ironing board. Got to get this figured out and quick.
Fly the friendly skies MaryBeth, hope all turns out well, but I'll be calling you and keeping in touch.
Again great job everyone, unique and each very nice.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 PM

Hi, I'm just getting started and in the first cutting directions it says " you will need four 2-1/2" assorted squares for both the small and large." is that only 4 for the whole quilt?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM

So Judy how many blocks total are you using to make your king size quilt? I too wanted to go with a king size....
Thanks so much for putting these Mystery Train rides together... just finished putting the 3rd Mystery Train quilt together this afternoon and will be posting those pics tomorrow!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by masufa View Post
Hi, I'm just getting started and in the first cutting directions it says " you will need four 2-1/2" assorted squares for both the small and large." is that only 4 for the whole quilt?

yep, giggle, that is still a part of the mystery those four scrappy 2 1/2 inch squares, I'm guessing they might be ................................(shooosh, it is a mystery)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 AM

I'm lovin' it!!! Here's my one-half of this latest clue.
Attached Thumbnails p1060040.jpg