Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM

Ohhhh ok. I just went back and had another look, it still looks brown on my screen

I once made a black and white quilt for DS and DDIL. They both were very into black back then. Not so anymore but they still like their quilt.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 AM

love that quilt Laurafet - looks grey/beige on my monitor, but I like browns so would like it that way too!

When I started making quilts, I knew I'd hate basting them so very early on I bought the Bailey with a Grace frame - for a total cost of under $4,000. That way if I decided I hated it, I was not going to be out a lot. After my Mom passed, I used a big chunk of my inheritance and bought the HQ fusion. I think my Mom would have considered that a good use of the money, and I consider it the last present I got from my parents.

I've got a king size quilt on it. I can't imagine trying to quilt a king size on a domestic machine. I struggle enough just dragging one around to get the binding on! I do all my bindings by machine. I use to hate doing bindings until I stopped pressing a crease in them, now they are no-brainers to put on. I love piecing, but would rather get the rest done as easy as possible.

One of my favorite "refined bachelor" patterns is Gentleman's agreement. I have the ombre fabric for it, but have not made one yet.

http://www.thequiltinggrounds.com/mo...classId=163030
Old 04-28-2018, 12:08 PM

I do my bindings by machine also. When I started quilting I sewed the binding on the front with the machine and hand stitched on the back. Now I do everything by machine.

I wish we had a long arm dealer here, a mid arm even would do also. But we don't....too bad!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 01:53 PM

Hello all....tried posting yesterday but QB kept throwing me out. Hopefully, this will post...

Judith....so glad you found something to tide you over until birthday. That is so cool of your kids to kick in for the one you want. Super!

Laurafet....gorgeous quilt. I am always amazed over the talent in this place. Happy you found your SBS book, too. Good luck on the move.

I visited with a neighbor about 10 acres away yesterday. She was sewing a quilt. Lol! I got to help her for about an hour...did some cutting and piecing. Such a blast and enough to get my fix. Woohoo! Went to the LQS to day. Oh my Gosh, you guys!!! I found my green and background fabric for my Baltimore album quilt. So frickin' excited. I needed 8 yds of each and each bolt had 81/2.... I bought it all. Lol!! Just need the red fabric and I have one shop that might have it. Will hit it next week.... I'll post a pic of the 2 fabrics....

All is well!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 01:58 PM

And, I can't go to LQS without buying polka dots... Lol!!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM

Teen, Lovely green and background fabric. What are you planning on doing with the happy dots?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Hi, Bluebell... I'm a polka dot hoarder. Lol! However, I am planning a quilt using bright polka dots, stripes, and solids. Likely won't make much of a dent in my polka dot stash but, whatever. Ha! I'll be tackling that after SBS. It's a paper piece block and should be fairly easy. We'll see.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:49 AM

lol teen - I know how it is to be always attracted to something and buying way more than you need for a project! I've done that with soft florals. I wanted to make a log cabin quilt using them so started collecting them a few years ago. I'm sure I've got enough for 3-4 quilts at this time. Does not stop me from grabbing more when I see them.

This is the king quilt I've got on the frame right now. I might be able to get it finished today.

I decided to do the black Ribbon quilt next, and then think I'll put the SBS on as I've been thinking of quilting ideas and want to move on that before I forget. I'm going to move from a stack of floppies needing quilting, to a stack of quilts needing binding.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 AM

Oh those polka dots...............lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fun to have a neighbor who's also quilting! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the whole country........LOL

Macebaby, you have a longarm!!!!!!!! Wow...........I can only wish!!!!!!!! Beautiful quilt on your frame! I'm machine quilting right now on my Juki.
I finished my neighbor's quilt the day before yesterday, washed it and took it to him yesterday. He's terminally ill so I thought I make him a quilt as there's nothing else I can do for him or his wife. He just retired....so sad.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Yes....polka dots are my weakness and anything yellow, however, I ignored a yellow FQ bundle taunting me yesterday. So I figured I did Ok.

I cannot not wait to get a long-arm. Macybaby....beautiful quilt on the frame. So glad you are going to quilt the SBS. I hope you quilt the CMIYC quilt. I hate to think of that one in a stack. Show worthy in my opinion.

It's a lazy day for us. Weather is chilly and rainy so hanging out in the RV. Will probably finish my wall hanging today, as much as I can do here anyway. Need my machine to finish it.

Anael....my neighbor is very excited that I'm a quilt maker and I have met several of the gals in my valley who have a little quilting club. They are eager for me to join....but I'm not much of a joiner in terms of clubs etc. We'll see. I'll certainly participate in their charity efforts but will decide later on my participation threshold. Lol.