Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt >

Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt

Very Special BOW for the Pony Club Quilt

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Thank you, thank you!
I have to say I don't like the colors used in the book. Most of them are dark so that's why I changed the colors of most blocks I did. One block I made I don't like and I might do that one again.
Red/blue/green/brown and off white seems a good choice to me. Why don't you put them together and see how it looks. Post a picture of what you have, that might help as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Thank you, thank you!
I have to say I don't like the colors used in the book. Most of them are dark so that's why I changed the colors of most blocks I did. One block I made I don't like and I might do that one again.
Red/blue/green/brown and off white seems a good choice to me. Why don't you put them together and see how it looks. Post a picture of what you have, that might help as well.
Lookin' Good!

YIKES! Am I supposed to follow the book?? .... then I'm doing the FWS all wrong wrong wrong!!!! (hope you can take the teasing Anael)
Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Now that I've decided to do this, will y'all help me with some colour scheme ideas? I've been snooping around on line to get some ideas. I looked at the blocks that Anael has shown us and I am in awe and scared at the same time. They are so gorgeous and well made. Big ole cowboy hat off to you, Anael.

Choosing colours is not my forte. I was wondering about red/blue/green/brown/off white with a common fabric used through out. Helpppp!!!

Time to cowboy up and get down to the stash, I guess.
As you can see from the FWS, there's a real range as to what everyone has chosen, from GrannyQ's all mauve/purple to Evie's black, white and reds to JeanieG's Christmas fabrics, someone used 30's repros, some organized scrappy, others like me a real mish-mash!

For the FWS, I just started pulling fabrics from my stash that went together. Also, had no idea as to what sashing I wanted to use. As I went on and thought, oh that doesn't go with this, then I'd look for a print that had the two together, and mix them up again. When I did my first sampler, I only used a fabric twice, and usually not with the fabrics I'd used before. I started thinking I'd do that this time, with a 3x's rule or something, but the # of fabrics got too cumbersome to manage it ... the other time I only did 32 x 12" blocks, so more reasonable. I have my stack of fabrics used now ... and as I see something that might work in the quilt, I add it to another pile and then when I go to make a block, I start looking at what suits the block. I do try again to minimize the # of times 2 fabrics go together.

For Pony Club, I originally thought I'd do it all in blues, taking inspiration from GrannyQ's mauve/purple FWS. I didn't think I wanted to do novelty, as I don't have kids or grands, and thought why would I want that? Then it all of a sudden hit me, that I'd bought this piece of cowboy fabric this summer at a great sell-down price, thinking it'd be a cute backing for a kids quilt. hhmmmm? Why not use it? So .... it'll be my main fabric, and from there I'll be doing an organized coordinated scrappy based on the colours of the print with other novelties that coordinate. During a Shop Hop last month, I wasn't looking for, but found a yellow batik that couldn't match any better to the background. For now, my thoughts are that I'll use the print or batik in every block ... so it'll be a sunshiny bright cowboy quilt. I have a brown print that'll be the first to audition for the sashing. And of course, all could change as I go along!

So all that being said ... I think your colours could be really nice and cowboy'ish!! If you're hesitant that some don't go together, look for prints that have the colours in them and that'll tie them all together. And for you and me, there's going to have to be a maple leaf flag in there, somewhere! (and there's nothing saying that you have to make it cowboy'ish and/or to use novelty fabrics!)
Attached Thumbnails ponyclub-001.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-20-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Lookin' Good!

YIKES! Am I supposed to follow the book?? .... then I'm doing the FWS all wrong wrong wrong!!!! (hope you can take the teasing Anael)

Great fabric QuiltE! That should make a gorgeous quilt!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anael View Post

Great fabric QuiltE! That should make a gorgeous quilt!
I think it should be fun to do .... and bright and cheery! Though I'm really not quite sure what I'll do with such a large fun looking quilt. I thought the fabric would be good, as it gives me lots of colours to work with, and can fussy cut from it too.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Now that I've decided to do this, will y'all help me with some colour scheme ideas? I've been snooping around on line to get some ideas. I looked at the blocks that Anael has shown us and I am in awe and scared at the same time. They are so gorgeous and well made. Big ole cowboy hat off to you, Anael.

Choosing colours is not my forte. I was wondering about red/blue/green/brown/off white with a common fabric used through out. Helpppp!!!

Time to cowboy up and get down to the stash, I guess.
Welcome Janie and so glad you are going to join us! I would pull fabrics that you think will work and put them in a large plastic tub. Have it available to "look at". Put it out where you will see it and move the fabrics around to see how you like them. Get use to seeing them together. I think you will find that you love some of them together, and some will not work. Just put the ones you don't like back in your stash and find others that go with the ones you like. You have 6 weeks to get them together. This will be a year process, so you will have lots of time to add pieces to your tub of fabrics. I use the 16 qt clear Sterilite plastic boxes with lids that I get at Big Lots (if you have them in Canada). I think they also have them at Wal-Mart. I also keep scraps, cut in various sizes, in the 6 qt (shoe box size) Sterilite boxes (a la Bonnie Hunter Scrap User System). We will all be here to help in any way we can.

Last edited by JeanieG; 11-20-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks, JeanieG. That was helpful and I started doing that today. My sewing room looks like a goat exploded, but I'm having fun!!!

QuiltE,

That fabric is so cute. Your quilt will be striking for sure.

Aside from the challenge of assembling these, blocks, I am also determined not to buy any more fabric. I think it will get easier once I get the book.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks, JeanieG. That was helpful and I started doing that today. My sewing room looks like a goat exploded, but I'm having fun!!!

QuiltE,

That fabric is so cute. Your quilt will be striking for sure.

Aside from the challenge of assembling these, blocks, I am also determined not to buy any more fabric. I think it will get easier once I get the book.
Talk about being organized! Looks like you're off to a flying start when we start.
I'm more worried my colours are going to make for an in your face bright quilt!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM

QuiltE, I love your chosen fabric. Yes, it could turn out bright, but I'm sure you'll tone it down with grays and browns. And, what's wrong with bright?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 AM

I don't see anything wrong with bright colors and a bright quilt! I love bright colors