Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Aboard the Mystery Quilt Train - Never Too Late to Join the Ride!

No glow in the dark eyes. That is a different fabric. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    There is an announcement on QB that Bearly Stitching in Arizona is closing.....
    my BERNINA 1630 was purchased at Bearly Stitching when they were here...we still miss them....feeling
    sad.
    I went there on Monday--even sadder is that their fabric selection has already been picked over and they don't have that much. And the fabric was only 20% off--the online ad said higher percentage off.

It's sad, though to see a LQS close especially when it may be the only one close to you. I went to 3 LQS here in AZ (Peoria, Surprise and Goodyear) and prices were definitely higher than I have seen in SoCal.

I realize they have to raise prices because the cost of fabric has gone up. But not sure they need to be this high. I worked in a LQS for 6 years--they doubled the cost and added 29 cents for shipping/yard (which makes it a 100% markup profit. So when the fabric cost $5/yd from the manufacturer, it would be $10.29/yd, and other LQS's elsewhere were charging $11.50-12.99/yd. It just seems to me if they reduced their profit margin quilters would buy more yardage (say 1/2 and whole yards rather than 1/4 yd when they weren't sure what they might use it for). Instead more shops are closing. 50-80% profit is still a profit, right!?! And quilters would return if they could get more for the money!!
    Karen, aka yayaquilts (yaya-Greek for grandma to 5 beautiful granbabies, 2 girls & 3 boys)
    http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and the fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    bought the tiny twister at the show and just had to try it
    Name:  twister 001.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  965.2 KBthen i just had to share,do not worry I will use the scraps, test is made from scrap
    I have been to the west coast of BC, it is beautiful.....and i do think we are the same time zone except for the daylight savings time
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-21-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
    your mention of hamilton reminds me of the year we lived near there. being from northern california it was really different weather. snow in the winter and the humidity in the summer. many an august day with over 90% humidity. wow.
    Oh yes, one of the joys (NOT!!) of Southern Ontario weather ... HHH (Hot, Hazy and Humid)

No wonder I prefer autumn, when the humidity lifts.
    Yesterday's humidity, you sure could feel it ... and not such a variable as we see in the summer. Though being that we are no where near aclimatized yet, we sure did feel it. UGH .. signs of things to come! ICK!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    Greetings!!

Sunliten - have seen the twister on other sites but don't have one "YET". It sure looks fun.

Jenniky, love the reds and blacks. Yours is so striking. I did learn that the dragon scales really are directional. Oh who cares. The lucky person who gets this won't know anyway.

We are so dry here - no real moisture since last August. I'm watering the flower bed today. Tulips want to come up so bad and I was feeling guilty. Not going to water the lawn. Ours will look like everyone elses - dead.

As soon as Mom finishes her tea, we are off to get hair cuts.

Have a great day. (Itching to start another square, Judy. But will wait to see how this one finishes and then maybe add on more. Thanks for starting this train!!!!)

Afternoon tea (wine) will be served in unit 216 at 3:30 p.m.

Well, I so much liked the quilt that QuiltE sent us a link to, that I changed how I am doing my scrappy boy quilt. I had posted a pix on Monday I think it was, of the 4 scrappy blocks sewn together with the sashing. Today I took the sashing off, opened up the 4-patch, sewed in a new fabric to create small star. Cut piece of the beige was 5-1/2" by 2-3/4".

This is a perfect example of a quilt block that looks better sashed. I liked it before a bit better, I think. Both my star patches, I see now, should have stood out more, but oh well, you can never tell till you try something. It's a mystery, after all. Still need to make another 8 blocks, but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-21-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Contrast would have made the difference for both your stars to shine forth, IMHO
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

They do show up a bit better in real life.

Blog Entries
    I'm done! I never dreamed it would be a star! I thought we would cut the blocks into quarter or half square triangles or something. I love it!Name:  P3210064 (2).jpg
Views: 314
Size:  1.85 MB
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I am new to this site..I like the idea of working together on a quilt. Is this a new one starting?? How do I get the posts as it goes along if I can still join?? I have lots of stash to choose from LOL

Blog Entries
    Pat the first directions are on page one and then the next are post #312,313 and if scrappy316 the post number is in the upper right corner of each posting your post was #785 the third set of directions i will check and come back..but it is kinda fun to follow the mystery if you have time.....so welcome ......raid your stash !

the third set of directions are post #663

there are two more sets of instuctions in April

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    great Lovely, looks really good, wondering what the next two steps will be.......

wondering, but I will wait, patiently
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-21-2012 at 02:36 PM.

[/COLOR]wondering, but I will wait, patiently[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

i think you are fibbing just a little, sunlite. patiently?? hmmmm. lol
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

LOL I think patience is in short supply with our lovely sunlite.

Blog Entries
    In the club car, working on hand pieced applecore doll quilt, afternoon tea was delicious and now I am patiently threading 12 needles.......while the sun is still shining
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Greetings Pat. Welcome to most wonderful train ride you have ever had. We do a lot in the club car, so join us there while we are waiting for more instructions.

Nailcare will begin at 10:00 a.m. in club car. Because our hands are out there for the public to see, we will have someone come and show us new tips.

Afternoon tea was "fun". Tomorrow we will have live music also. Please tell all and have a great "showing". Judy, I think you were on the schedule for "snacks". Will you be able to be there?

Sorry, I got off the train in Duluth to sightsee and didn't hear the whistle signaling the train leaving the station. Hope someone else can possible share their chocolate stash for snacks, See you at the next town.

Blog Entries
    Dear Pat,
    when you have chosen your fabrics please share a photo, we love to see each step of the way, so glad you are along for the ride. It is not only chocolate, there are Campbells Shortbread fingers and assorted cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    Dear Pat,
    when you have chosen your fabrics please share a photo, we love to see each step of the way, so glad you are along for the ride. It is not only chocolate, there are Campbells Shortbread fingers and assorted cheese.
    And a very nice white wine would go well with the cheeses, vintage of course.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Sorry, I got off the train in Duluth to sightsee and didn't hear the whistle signaling the train leaving the station. Hope someone else can possible share their chocolate stash for snacks, See you at the next town.
    I can fill in for you for snacks Judy no problem. My stash of chocolate is not far from my fabric stash fortunately . I have oodles of Hershey minitures, Reeses's and Dove chocolate. Oh and Hubby persuaded the cook in the dining kitchen car to let him make his fudge brownies today. Im sure he can be persuaded to make a double batch to share.
    Have an awesome day!

sewed in a new fabric to create small star. Cut piece of the beige was 5-1/2" by 2-3/4".

I have started a 2nd mystery quilt, and thinking running small stars at corners, of opposite fabrics....and was wondering how to size the "star" (beige) fabric....will try this after works (yes 2 job day) tonight.

PS TO EVERYONE ELSE...I'm lurking...and all the blocks are beautiful!!! Wish I could post my 2 blocks...I really need some help on the first!

Pink and Blue Fu-Fu drinks....in what car????? lol

Blog Entries
    Hope the ghost stories that were told in the back of the club car last night did not scare Pat away..... the one about the rotary cutter that ran amock was pretty gresome......

made 100 quilt labels for the guild charity quilts this morning and binding on one charity quilt and the borders for quilt for my GreatGrandDaughter to-be.....Her name is Julia....

Blog Entries
    I am having so much fun! This is the only train ride I have been on where I didn't get motion sickness! Snacks are on me tomorrow. I'm thinking some "killer" brownies (0 calories, of course) and sweet tea...
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    I am having so much fun! This is the only train ride I have been on where I didn't get motion sickness! Snacks are on me tomorrow. I'm thinking some "killer" brownies (0 calories, of course) and sweet tea...
    Oh yes, if we are having brownies again tomorrow they should be 0 calories. LOL Todays brownies put pounds on anyone who just looked at them. However in my book there can never be enough chocolate. Sunlitensmiles, I was a bit spooked by that last story, therefore I woke up at 4am and started in on making PP squares for the Funky Halloween Swap they were less scary than your spooky rotary cutter. But you can be sure I will be back tonight to hear more of your fun stories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Jenniky; 03-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Have an awesome day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
    Opps - didn't realize we had brownies yesterday - how about lemon bars drizzled in chocolate instead?
    Jenniky - very cute blocks!
    Linda

Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast