Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM

There was no 4-H where I lived when I was young. I was a girl scout though. Did a little sewing there and I absolutely hated it, a bit more in home ec in high school, still hated it. I finally came to sewing a few years later when my daughter was little and I could make her cute clothes. I didn't start quilting til I was 38 and an empty nester looking for an all consuming endeavor. Been quilting for the past 30 years.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
mim

I have my 10 year pin. I learned a lot in 4-H -- sewing, gardening, cooking. Altho I already knew how to do ythem, 4-H introduced me to new techniques. Especially in gardening with new pesticides ans plant varieties.

My son was a 4H leader while he was at Microsoft. His group built computers and donated them to assisted living facilities. Microsoft donated thousands of dollars in software as well as money for materials. The kids also learned how to write proposals for grants.

When I need to know something about plants I still contact the extension agency in whatever state I am in.

Also we all learned how to keep records -- neatly--

Mim
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM

I feel like i am in lala land at the moment :-( what is 4-H??????????
Old 10-28-2011, 01:15 PM

4-H is where I learned to sew :) I made my first apron. Later on I started making my own simple tops. My leader was a very nice woman. I have never forgotten 4-H. My grandchildren go to it now :)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charming
It is a program that is provided in many areas to provide young people (ages 10-21) with life skills, similiar in many ways to Home-Ec and Technology classes offered at schools. Leaders are volunteers who provide members with knowledge on many different topics (sewing, cooking, gardening, animal management, crop management, etc., etc., etc.,)
The club's motto is;
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service,
And my Health to better living,
for my Club, my Community and my Country
4-H (Head, Heart, Health and Hands)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. Sounds like a very nice program. I didn't grow up here but haven't heard of it through out the years my kids were in school at all.
Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Originally Posted by Charming
It is a program that is provided in many areas to provide young people (ages 10-21) with life skills, similiar in many ways to Home-Ec and Technology classes offered at schools. Leaders are volunteers who provide members with knowledge on many different topics (sewing, cooking, gardening, animal management, crop management, etc., etc., etc.,)
The club's motto is;
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty,
My Hands to larger service,
And my Health to better living,
for my Club, my Community and my Country
4-H (Head, Heart, Health and Hands)
Old 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I'll join MamaBear, in proudly waving our Canadian 4-H banner high!! For those interested, you can learn a little more about 4-H in Canada, and Ontario via these links ....

http://www.4-h-canada.ca
http://www.4-hontario.ca/

This Friday is 4-H Colours Day .... where 4-H'ers and those in support of the program are encouraged to "show their colours" and wear green for the day.

In Canada, we'll be celebrating 100 years of 4-H in 2013. Great plans are being made!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:02 PM

I joined as soon as I was eligible--at age 10. My mother had already started teaching me to sew, so it was something I really loved to do. I was a camp counselor until I aged out, was eligible for state level competition in sewing several times, and participated in leadership and health speeches. My DGS, who is 5, started this year, I believe it's called Clover Buds. They do projects (he did bird watching, gardening, tree identification and one other thing which I've forgetten) but do not compete for ribbons yet.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

QuiltE--I see that green blood pumping through your body has leapt onto the printed page! LOL
4-H has been a part of my life since I was 10; first as a member, then a leader, then a parent and when youngest was done so was I. Remained semi active on area and state records evaluation committees and country fair judging. This was the first summer I didn't judge any fairs. But am now working with the county alumni task force. We are raising funds to help offset those budget cuts, in fact in the midst of a fundraiser right now. As it is it costs $30 a year to belong to 4-H. So far we have been able to trim those costs by $5 for every member and CloverBud. Now am Gram to 3 4-Her's and 2 CloverBuds.
In answer to your ?, "Yes" a thousand times "Yes". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and sewbeadit, Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl :-) :-) :-)
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

never had one available as a child