Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Yes I learned to sew in 4-H what my mom and grandmas didn't teach me- cause they didn't want to get into arguments about how to do stuff! Stayed in as long as I could - it got to a point in our area that teachers were disappearing and the fees were going up so my folks opted out. With 4 children in the family, it got rather pricy to have 4 children in, each trying to raise animals and balance their books - track feed costs, and how can you sell - much less at a profit.

Kind of funny when 4-H was what brought them together! When my husband and I moved into our current location, I had no contacts in local 4-H other than asking questions at the county fair, which never seemed to pan out so my children didn't get to join and learn what 4-H is all about.

Sorry to hear about the rising rates per child. I'll have to ask around again and see if there is a need for volunteer teachers in this area.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM

I was in 4-H in the 60's at a farm down the road. Made a sewing kit out of contact paper on a cigar box, felt needle book, patchwork pillow, etc. Didn't do much sewing, but lots of baking demos at the County Fair. I became a 4-H Camp Counselor in the early 70's- Nature Science. I recently reconnected with the woman who led the group- now in her late 80's. We meet at a local church to make pillowcase dresses for Little Dresses for Africa. 4-H taught us responsibility, integrity, persistence, and community involvement. It was a great experience with 2 of my sisters, and we got out of the house and away from the other 3 little siblings for some fun. I loved 4-H!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM
mim

I still have - and use- the felt Sunbonnet Sue needle book with felt pages that I made in 4-H.

BTW -- I had it in my carry-on bag when I came west this week -- I was prepared to remove the needles and give them to PSA -- but they didn't even blink. So I think it is safe to keep the needle in your FW when travelling

Mim
Old 10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
cjr

Yes. Agree with all of the above. Would like to add it was part of the Cooperative Extension program, as a product of land grant colleges. Every state has has a land grant college. They specialize in agriculture and Home Economics, or used to. Many have dropped some programs for urban horticulture.

Extension service was very big during the depression(the 1939 one) helping farm women cook more cheaply and efficiently. and farmers to produce more and use the land better and repair it.

When i was growing up it was mostly a country thing. An Extension home Economist came to our meetings regularly. I remember my mother going to ladies meetings.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM

I did cooking and sewing in 4-H. My mom was our cooking leader.I learned a lot and had a lot of fun.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 PM

I belonged to 4-H and completed many clubs including sewing, crafts, cooking, gardening, swine, leadership, publc speaking and conservation. It was a great way to meet new kids and learn some new skills. I always liked the sewing clubs the best and hated the gardening club (I still don't like gardening). I also met my DH through 4-H and got the opportunity to go to Leadership Camp and participate in exchanges. It was a wonderful program and free. Now it is still available in our area but there is a fee to join and not as many clubs are available.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM

This topic makes my heart pitter patter proudly. I too grew up in 4-H and our children did too. I work in the local Extension office where we oversee the county 4-H activities, among other things. There is no fee in Kansas to join 4-H and I hope we can keep it that way. I know lots of states are struggling. It is a great program and teaches kids some very important life skills. We still have lots of kids with livestock projects, but that isn't all that is offered. There is something for everyone. Our 'county agent' is an awesome guy and the kids (and their parents) really like him. And yep, I learned to sew in 4-H.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
and hated the gardening club (I still don't like gardening).
ha! And to think that today you have one BIG garden!!!!! BTW ... I visited MissSadie today during the Shop Hop!!!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad
QuiltE--I see that green blood pumping through your body has leapt onto the printed page! LOL
4-H has been a part of my life since I was 10; first as a member, then a leader, then a parent and when youngest was done so was I. Remained semi active on area and state records evaluation committees and country fair judging. This was the first summer I didn't judge any fairs. But am now working with the county alumni task force. We are raising funds to help offset those budget cuts, in fact in the midst of a fundraiser right now. As it is it costs $30 a year to belong to 4-H. So far we have been able to trim those costs by $5 for every member and CloverBud. Now am Gram to 3 4-Her's and 2 CloverBuds.
In answer to your ?, "Yes" a thousand times "Yes". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and sewbeadit, Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl :-) :-) :-)
ha! And is your blood not GREEN as well? :lol:

Our 4-H members also have a registration fee now. There are a lot of unique fundraisers to help offset the costs.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 PM
dd

I've been the sewing leading for 3 yrs and this will be my last meeting. I was never involved as a kid and my children weren't either. Having been a life long Girl Scout I found 4H to be totally foreign when I started. Now, given the choice, I would say choose 4H.