Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-29-2011, 03:33 AM

Yes i did belong to 4-H and am a better person because of it. Learned soooooo many things and still have some of the things i made like a covered sewing box, can't use it anymore the sides are ripped apart, a clover shaped needle holder, funny to look at now, and a few other things. Learned sewing, cooking, baking, canning. I also have a picture somewhere when i did a baking demonstration while in 4-H. Wow the memories
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 AM

I Bleed Green. It was Girl Scout Green as a youth. The foundation of my life. The Mississippi cousins had 4-H but in the big City of New Orleans, Scouting programs ruled. Off and on in the adult life, I was GSA and BSA leader, and unfortunately, watched an unpleasant change in the program, where leaders were not leading, but doing for the kids. Fast forward to the last 22 years. My involvement with 4-H continues to grow. From a volunteer teaching about my aquarium hobby, to a current program assistant, who, in the words of my agent, " . . . does it all."

Recently, I applied for a large grant to build a Family Life Skills Lab. The grant requires a copy of the annual operating budget. We don't have a budget. The state provides office supplies, the county provides staff. Every program we have for the youth is self sustaining. There is an annual fundraiser which supports scholarships, programs and activities. 4-H membership is free, but there are fees for the special interest clubs, such as rabbit, archery, shotgun, horse, outdoor adventures, and when I get it going, the cooking & sewing clubs. Fortunately, the sewing I've done so far has all been done with donations of machines and fabric, (free for the kids.)

When our state 4-H was threatened by cut-backs, one of our kids began her own letter writing campaign. She got the attention of the Governor all the way down. It hit the news, and provided major public awareness, and finally a letter saying that the program would not be cut. We did loose some staff, but those positions are coming back now.

The 4-H programs build character, self esteem, confidence, knowledge, talent, and sooooo much more. Here, it is available to all children, 9 -19. No dues, no uniforms. I feel the roll 4-H plays is far more significant than the sports programs which are so popular. Most anyone with a thread of talent can become involved. Having your own kids is not a prerequisite. Call your local Cooperative Extension office to see how you can be involved.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 AM

4-H...our first year...four children involved...and so far all I can say is...I am overwhelmed by all the emails from the 4-H leader!! I am sure it is a good program...but thus far, the additional activities that are required is a little too much for this mom....we will see!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 AM

Yup, my grandfather was known as Mr. 4H and the camp was named after him.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 AM

yes us kyds were in 4-h as long as we could be learned a lot. had very good leaders in our club.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 AM

ditto!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 AM

Yes, I loved 4-H. Many good memories from it. Sewing, cooking, forestry, camp, state leadership, a trip to Washington, DC. I could go on & on. Then my Mom was an active leader long after I went to college, etc. It is such a wonderful group. :)
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 AM

No better place to learn skills including leadership and to have FUN especially learning to do stuff. Still have all my pins! Camps were a blast even when you were a counselor and you always took home something you made there. My sister met her husband at National 4-H Congress. I often think of the pledge which we recited at every meeting and still hold to the motto in the things I do:
To Make the Best Better.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 AM

I didn't know they were thinking of cutting the program. Is there anywone we can write to to state our objections?
I was in 4-H for 9 years and it was a very important part of my life. I went to the state fair twice. Once to model a wool dress that I had made and once to give a demonstration on how to do Red Cross bandages. I loved it when I got blue ribbons at the county fair for my projects. The only thing I did not like was when I raised rabbits. They were so cute. The 2 does gave birth to 30 babies. In the fall there was no market that year for rabbits. It would be too cold to keep them through the winter. So my father slaughtered them for our family use. Whenever my mother served rabbit,I would run in the bedroom and cry.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 AM

I was in 4-H and learned to sew. We made a skirt. They also taught us how to set a table and table manners. I am so grateful for the things I learned in 4-H. They helped me assimilate into society and feel the confidence that I needed at the time. Yolanda Wood River