Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up? >

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Was a 4-H program helpful to you growing up?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 PM

my mother was afraid to teach me to sew as she was afraid of the whole mother/daughter hassle and did not want me to get 'turned off' the whole thing....so she found a 4-H program and sent me....thank you, Mother!... we had to make a dirndl skirt with a coordinating stole that was fringed all round the outside. We were to have a small fashion show, modeling our projects on the next day after our final class.... we were allowed to take them home to finish details if we were not quite done. I asked my mom for help with the last few inches of hem...she wondered why i needed help as the hem was 3/4 done? well, the older girls usurped the attention of the two teachers. we were from 10--14 with only two 10 yr olds...and the teachers (fine volunteers...they were just busy, i'm sure) found it faster to just pick up our projects rather than take the extra time that a younger child needed.... my mom understood, but she wanted me to make my own project and she ripped it completely apart and supervised (very patiently) while i re-did the entire skirt...I had done the fringing on the stole, so that was okay... I learned how to gather, hem, put on a waistband and to sew on a snap.... and I learned that sewing did NOT have to be a huge thing and enjoyed planning a new outfit on the walk home from high school and make it that afternoon/evening to wear to school the next day... they might be simple, but they were fast and fun and gave me great pleasure... and all from the beginning (one way or another) in one of the many 4-H programs still available in our communities... Yeah, Mother and Yeah, 4-H!!!!!! (and ps....i just finished fringing the outer flanges on a new set of quilted pillows for my living room furniture...you never lose a skill learned young)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Wasn't in it here. My mom taught me to cook from scratch, bread, pudding, cakes, cookies, you name it. We canned or froze corn, peas, green beans, peaches, pears, tomatoes, jams, watermelon pickles, pickles..... She taught me to sew and how to grow a garden. I think growing up on a farm makes you learn how to do lots of stuff.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:48 AM

Most definitely! Thank goodness for 4-H sewing and cooking contests....they made me better. From the 4th grade through High School - some of the best memories of my childhood!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 AM

Wasn't in 4H, but was in Girl Scouts. I have great memories of GS, and have been a leader for my own two girls for many years (starting my 14th year as a leader).
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 AM

Yes-10 years of clothing plus a few other projects along the way. All three of my boys completed 10 years. Great program!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Ed

I did not go to 4-H to sew. I went to learned to train dogs. Everyone is amazed at our mutt when they stop here. I just wish my kid would have done half as good as he has.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 AM

Yes, I was in 4-H. I learned sewing, raised an angus, etc.
I modeled my dress when tv first came out and those lights were scorching hot. My parents became 4-h leaders and they loved it. Mother taught me what sewing was all about. It's great for kids and I think that today every child should belong to it. It's a great learning experience.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 AM

Yes, I was in 4-H. I learned sewing, raised an angus, etc.
I modeled my dress when tv first came out and those lights were scorching hot. My parents became 4-h leaders and they loved it. Mother taught me what sewing was all about. It's great for kids and I think that today every child should belong to it. It's a great learning experience.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 AM

4H was a big part of my youth. Sewing, cooking, keeping records. Everything centered around the county and state fairs. Our club always won blue ribbons. Yes, 4H was a big help. Still is, it's where I learned all the basics. It served me well.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 AM

Yes, my sister and I were in 4-H. We both had the sewing program. Very good experience.