Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
1 year I got a snow man kit which had the $1.00 sticker from the dollar store.
Now that is just plain gross slap in the face!
Why do people join groups if they don't care enough to put some thought and effort into it? That's why I don't do swaps unless there is a minimum value rule. High value doesn't mean high cost, that's the fun for me. To find great value for little money. I am part or four Secret Santas this year and the gifts I bought/made are:

1. Moda Christmas fabric bought last Jan. on clearance (regular 8.99 a yard, marked to $3) and using my Go cut out enough 6 1/2" tumbler blocks to make a queen size quilt top! I bought a nice hat box on clearance for $3 to hold the kit. Cost out of pocket for me- $27 for 8 yards of beautiful fabric plus box.

2. A small Tiffany style reading lamp bought at Lowe's on clearance last spring for $8, regular price $49, Ott bulb on clearance online for $11 regular $39 and free shipping. $19 of of pocket cost.

3. A pretty box full of homemade coffee cake, scones, biscotti, and muffins. Cost: ? Ingredients in my pantry.

4. A large fabric bowl made from cotton clothesline and wrapped in scraps from the above Moda fabric, filled with bath products from Body Works. Cost $16 for the cotton rope and $40 for the bath products. I saved enough $ on the other gifts, I bought the bath products at regular price. Out of pocket cost $56.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I agree .. It is tacky. I stopped the exchanging of gifts because of stuff like this. It takes all the fun out of it. The least she could have done is not tell you everyone read it and let you think it was the last one on the shelf!,
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM

You could have said, Oh I am glad so many people had a chance to read it before you gave it to me. Giving something NEW as a gift is so over-rated, isn't it?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
I think it is tacky.I go to 2 groups for quilting and 1 is wonderful you get quilting and sewing gifts.(yesterday I got 1 of the large plastic organizers and a bottle of Best Press) the other we have brought it up several times about quilting or sewing gifts,some people still give tacky stuff like plastic picture frames and 1 year I got a snow man kit which had the $1.00 sticker from the dollar store.I give quilting/sewing from a quilt shop or Joanns etc.We are supposed to bring a $10.00 gift.This will probally be the last time I will particapate.
I have gotten several "dollar store" type gifts at gift exchanges. I would always go out of my way to buy something nice & on sale for $10 & inevitably would end up with the plastic picture frame. I belong to a group with an optional gift exchange- if you bring one, you take one- & I have stopped doing that too.

Passing around the book before she gave it to you is defiantely tacky & thinking that was ok was tackier!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 AM

In life, there some things worth making a fuss over and some things that are not worth the effort. In my opinion, this is one of the things that fall into the 'not worth the effort' category - but is fun to think about for a few minutes.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I wasn't upset just thought how selfish and tacky to do that and to let others know you did it! It makes you wonder what else you don't know about them. Imagine her son thinking it is okay to buy a gift you want and get the use out of it first and then passing it along.

And then think people just like this may be running big companies or get voted in office, teaching in school, serving on community and business boards ........
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Very tacky! If I wanted to read a book I had purchased for a gift I would....and then I would buy a brand new one for my exchange gift!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Definately TACKY. That is not giving.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Very tacky unless it was supposed to be a used item. I could never consider doing what she did. And to think she seemed to be bragging about it.
Sorry this happened to you.

Kat
Old 12-08-2011, 01:34 PM

NOT classy at all.