Advice on Slimming Down

Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM

And, the more muscle you build the more efficiently your body burns fat.
Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I've lost about thirty pounds since I started school and the only places its been noticeable has been my neck/collarbone area, face, legs and a bit in the arms. I know it's hard to lose in the tummy, hips, and bum areas but I just want to know how I can help those areas out. I'm not the athletic kind and running is not feasible at this time. I'm trying to eliminate soda from my diet and to drink more water and juice.

What can I do to help reduce the tummy and other mention areas? I try to walk every other night and that has helped a bit.
You can do exercises that strengthen and tone those muscles. using weight will build muscle, oning and strengthing makes for better body shape. Many of these can even be done while sitting (sewing, quilting, working) even at work on your break.
All you have to do is tighten those muscles and hold for 10-15 seconds, release and repeat. Having fun should be number one.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Try doing 'back bridges' every day. Lay in bed, flex knees and then lift your bum while tensing your abs. Works wonders.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM

At the age of 70 - 5'4" I weighed (get that, weighed) 145 pounds. I knew I would steadily get bigger if I didn't start to take off pounds. Now, 1-1/2 years later I weigh 118. I walk my dog every day. Try to do 2 miles a day but in MN it gets hard in the winter and in the hot sultry days of summer. I ate a lot of salads. No sweets - at all. I used sweetners if needed. I ate meat and a lot of yellow vegetables. It's all will power. Saying "NO". I've noticed the weight has shifted. Suddenly my hands got thinner. It's good to drink water, but not to much. That to will stretch you stomach. You want it to shrink. Simple sit-ups will help a lot. Even if you are not the exercise type, and if you are determined to loose, you will exercise in some form.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM

hi there.

something no one else mentioned, that I do and it helps so much, is write down everything that crosses your lips. I track all my foods and the number of glasses of water, even. Also I keep track of my exercise. I gave up juices (except occasionally in a cosmopolitan!) and diet products as the artificial sweeteners cause our bodies to experience the calories wrong though i can't quite explain this in a way that makes sense. No diet drinks, no diet anything--though it didn't immediately make a visual impact, it did with time. and the advice to eat foods our grandmothers would recognize is spot on!

good luck, it can get easier with practice...and remember a lapse in not a relapse, just think of it as an opportunity to learn why you did what you did

Laurie
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM

If you want to lift weights, you can use 1 lb can from the grocery store with the food still in it. Cheap and effective!

Congrats on the weight loss...any weight loss is hard work.

Jumping rope can be fun inside if the dorm is solidly built. I tried it in an apt building and the manager came running upstairs and made me quit.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 AM

Congratulations! I think you're doing all the right things, you wouldn't have lost 30 pounds if you weren't doing something right! It sounds like you just need to get more movement/activity in...how about getting a pedometer and tracking the # of steps you take a day? Here's what I did when I was losing weight: I snapped on the pedometer and tracked my "average # of steps" for the first 3 days. I didn't just track 1 day because some days, based on what you have going on, you just walk more or less than others you know? After that I took my average # of steps for the 3 days (approx. 4,100) and decided to increase it by a minimum of 100-150 steps per day until I had worked up to the suggested # of 10,000 steps/day for weight loss. Yes this was a slow way to do it, some people may have added 1,000 or more steps per day and that is OK too, but I was determined to make this a gradual "lifestyle shift" not just a spur of the moment thing to try and get to a certain # right away. It worked! As I started adding the 100 steps and my legs got stronger, it became easier to walk longer and there were some days I walked close to that 10,000 without even knowing it. Other days when I wasn't so active I made the conscious effort of not going to bed until I had walked my average at least so I would just march in place in front on the TV for 30 minutes. The weight started to fall off my lower body so much quicker.

Hope that helps! You're doing awesome and I think you already have the right mindset to continue losing weight. Good luck!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Where I live there are no gyms or work out areas to go to, and the icy streets etc prevent much outside walking. My favorite is the Leslie Sansome walking dvd's. You can go 1,2,3 or 4 miles, and it's all easy to do. Only need a little area to move in, cause it's all walking in place. The few extra moves she has you do makes it a good workout. Goes quickly, and feels good when you are done! Good luck with your weight loss...watching Biggest Loser on Tuesday nights is always motivating. Try to cut down on your white flour, sugar, pasta, etc. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by HuskerQuilter
Where I live there are no gyms or work out areas to go to, and the icy streets etc prevent much outside walking. My favorite is the Leslie Sansome walking dvd's. You can go 1,2,3 or 4 miles, and it's all easy to do. Only need a little area to move in, cause it's all walking in place. The few extra moves she has you do makes it a good workout. Goes quickly, and feels good when you are done! Good luck with your weight loss...watching Biggest Loser on Tuesday nights is always motivating. Try to cut down on your white flour, sugar, pasta, etc. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
I used to watch biggest loser, till I started school and my TV decided it no longer wanted to work, and I have yet to check Hulu for episodes or if I can watch them on NBC's website... I joked with my mom about getting a stationary bike and peddling while watching the show! But due to cost thats not feasible... I'm going to see if the school gym has a stationary bike, I'm sure it does. I should consider working out there anyways, gets me out of my room. When Spring rolls around I'm going to start the couch to 5k program, which I hear is a good program, but I don't want to do that on a treadmill. My school does keep the walk ways on campus clear of snow and ice, best to their ability, so I could always walk around the college mall a few times too. Since we are snowless at the time, I'm going for a walk tonight... which those walks are pretty long... I'm usually gone about one hour to an hour and half.

today I've decided to start drinking water all of this week. I need to start saving money on my J-Pass for the rest of this month, since I'm at about $190 and that needs to last till January 30th. I figured if I don't buy soda or the iced chai (that I drink on mon. through friday and it is expensive) I'll be saving about $34 dollars a week and from now till the 30th that would be approximately $102 give or take a few. I rounded up to the nearest dollar on the prices of the soft drink and the chai. I can make my own coffee in my room and my own tea. I had two bottles of Fiji water left over from last semester (due to price at the grocery store I only get them so often) so I'm drinking those off and using the bottles to store water in for grab and go type situations. I like the taste of water, so it doesn't bother me much.

I've created a playlist of songs I like to listen to when walking. They are all high energy so I can dance to them too. I'm trying to keep everything to somethign that I can stick to... so keeping things fun helps.

And it's not just for health reasons. I want to be able to keep up with my niece! She'll be walking soon and she'll be a year old in March! I want to be the cool, fun aunt! I've been over weight most of my life and I'm just tired of it, I don't like feeling tired all the time or out of breath every time I climb the stairs (which gets better, I'm not as bad as when I started the school year!). I don't have an elevator in my Dorm hall, so I run and down three flights of stairs several times a day, and due to not liking the elevator in Daniels Hall, I use those stairs and they are long flights of stairs in that building, I believe there are four flights all together. I do those stairs three times a week due to classes.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM

If you can get into a physical training class at school you would have encouragement and a great amount of help in choosing the work out that would help you most.Choice of foods , leaving out beef and all dairy, cheese, ice cream, I know it is hard to do 'cause I am doing that very thing. I try to concentrate on other exciting ideas rather than what I am missing.Quilting is a win, win for me.