Advice on Slimming Down

Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by Ritacarl
Originally Posted by loopywren
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by ptquilts
unfortunately you can not "spot reduce" certain areas. Keep up your healthy eating. I agree, juice can be as fattening as soda, try to stick to water. Use sparkling water, or add some lemon,lime, or mint if you need some flavor.
Try to eat foods that grow from the ground or on a tree. Try to stick to foods that your great-grandmother would recognize. When you go shopping, think "ingredients" rather than "ready to eat meals". You will save money as well.
Try to incorporate more activity in your day. Take stairs instead of elevators. Park in the farthest spot in the lot and walk. If you are sitting at a task, get up once an hour for some stretching and moderate activity.
Your avatar looks fairly young, it only gets harder as you get older!! Good luck, it is a constant struggle.
I am 22 going to be 23 in a month.

I'm not trying to lose weight quickly, when I started I was at about 270 and now I'm at 240. My goal is to get to 150, but I'm taking it easy, I don't want to rush to get there. I started losing weight in mid july and then I was sick from the end of July till about mid August. Then I checked my weight over Christmas vacation and I had lost up to thirty pounds, so I was happy. I'm not trying to get to the ideal weight for my height, which is ridiculously low, 100 pounds on my frame, I'd look like a skeleton... the highest weight being 130. If I get under 200 pounds I'll be super happy.

I've started dancing around my dorm room, since it gets me moving and helps me concentrate more on what I'm working on. My dorm hall does not have an elevator so I run and down three flights of stairs each day, and then in the one hall I have class in, I use the stairs (three flights of a lot of stairs).
Is it possible you are not eating enough, I know this sounds mad but I couldn't lose weight even with going to slimming classes, after discussion with a dietician it came to light that my calorie intake was so low that my metabolism had slowed right down hence no weight loss, once I started eating again(the correct type of food) I started losing weight.
This is true! How many people have you heard say, "I just don't understand it. I haven't eaten a thing and I can't loose any weight"? When you starve yourself your body goes into starvation mood. Everything slows down. So you have to eat. I found this to be true. Eat the right things. Also, you can take B-Complex vitamins. They help with energy.
I started to eat three times a day when I came to school. The weird thing is, I've never been one for eating. Theres a history as to why I ended up overweight... and it involved the "clean plate plan" from when I was a kid. It was my Moms second husband and his parents who made me finish everything n the plate, I started to put weight on. Plus I was depressed while in grade school... so I ate through my feelings. When we left that horrible enviroment (that was the house of hell) my eating habits where up and down throughout school... then I left high school and I didn't eat as much.

I think my issue lies more in not being as active as I should be... since I started eating like a human and running up and down stairs all the time, has helped me to lose the weight. I just need to start doing more.

But I agree with the eating thing... after leaving school up until i came to college, I ate maybe once a day. Now I'm eating three times a day. So that has to be helping.
Full marks to you for trying it isn't easy but I feel you will get there, you are doing so well. Well done.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 AM

this might sound crazy but if you put on heels (not too high) and wear them around the house it actually helps tone up stomach and butt muscles _ I got this little tidbit from a MD who was trying to help me strengthen my back muscles after some surgery - no exercise just walk around the house during your normal day but with heels on
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM

I see you have many very good suggestions already but I will tell you what worked for me. Congratulations on your weight loss, sometimes we have a period of slow down with the weight coming off, it will pick up after a while if we don't get discouraged and give up. The first things I did was cut out soda and salad dressing, (mayo), and I never drink my calories anymore. I also started walking on the treadmill three days a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday's. I made a decision not to get upset with myself with the rate of weight loss to just stick with it, and I lost 30 lbs over about 6-9 months. We usually know what to do but just have to do it. I did come to appreciate food more and found that I liked the taste of natural foods, fruits and cereals more without added sugars.

And by the way I always have breakfast.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by B. Louise
People who drink 2 8 oz. glasses of water before their meals exercise by running to the bathroom!
I drink 2 - 3 bottles of water in the evening and I am constantly up and down going potty. I am on medicines that hinder my weight loss and it is hard for me to walk due to having fibromyalgia, but I continue to plug on.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM

I lost 60 lbs last year. I started by removing starch and sugar from my diet, along with very small portions about 6-8 times a day. After the initial weight loss, your body will start to change where the weight leaves. I still have my tummy and will always have it because of surgery, but it is no where near as big as before. I went from a very tight 16 to a loose 10 in 4 months. To make it easier to eliminate the bad foods, think of this. If it is white, don't eat it. The only way to tone your tummy and regain the muscels is to excersize. Not for me either. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:56 PM

I think you have a good start, and taking it slow is a great idea. Just keep at it. Young or old it is never easy, but worth the effort.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 AM

WOW! Congratulations! Your grades and for the weight loss so far. Keep it up and you will do just fine. You are doing wonderful! I need to lose weight & I hate to exercise. I am 57 & I know my metabolism is as slow as a slug's. I learned from my DD who had Gastric Bypass that we need a certain amt of sleep every night for the weight to come off also. We need sleep! Cutting out everything that is white is a good tip. I am going to try that. You will lose it, I have no doubt. You are such a beautiful young woman and so smart! I am proud of you for the great start on this journey through life. Keep up the good job! {{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}}}
Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Lots of good advice here already, so I will just add that, for some reason, when we lose weight, it tends to lose from the top down. Which, unfortunately, means the tummy and hips are the last to shrink. :( You are alrady off to a great start, so hang in there. And don't beat yourself up if you are only down 1/4 or 1/2 pound some weeks....it is still "down"!!! and all those litle bits add up too.

Patti