Advice on Slimming Down

Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 PM

P.S. I did lose it around the middle, the rear & the top of my legs. My too tight pants feel good again & clothes in general look much better! In good weather my dogs & I walk only 15 min a day because that's my tolerance of wt. bearing now. In bad weather (since NOV. here), I haven't walked outside at all. I ate all the Thanksgiving & Xmas crap & I haven't gained any back. I attributue this to no more real coke carbs, leaving me room in the count for some crap :) Too many carbs in juice. Go for skim milk, water, and diet soda.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Thanks!

I had a doctor tell me that I should limit my sugar and fat gram intake to just fifty a day. This was a few years ago, and I did it for a week. I lost fourteen pounds that week, which was mostly water. Had I continued I'd have probably of lost more, not that much of course. I'm thinking of doing that again since it would be healthier, but then I'd have to ask for the nutritional facts on everything I would be eating here at school, which I could do. It's a good thing they serve a lot of chicken and stuff... It's a good thing I like chicken! (I eat chicken A LOT)
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Put you cutting mat, iron and machine in different rooms. I would end up walking an extra 5 miles a day.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 AM

WELL DONE , dont dispair it WILL come off IN time . Please DONT concentrate on what you wont to loose but be PROUD of what you have already achieved . Thinking positive is the answer . THe gentle exerise is fantastic . My daughter has lost 1 stone by walking a short while each day. Again WELL DONE.You are doing really well . Good luck . keep us posted
Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by ptquilts
unfortunately you can not "spot reduce" certain areas. Keep up your healthy eating. I agree, juice can be as fattening as soda, try to stick to water. Use sparkling water, or add some lemon,lime, or mint if you need some flavor.
Try to eat foods that grow from the ground or on a tree. Try to stick to foods that your great-grandmother would recognize. When you go shopping, think "ingredients" rather than "ready to eat meals". You will save money as well.
Try to incorporate more activity in your day. Take stairs instead of elevators. Park in the farthest spot in the lot and walk. If you are sitting at a task, get up once an hour for some stretching and moderate activity.
Your avatar looks fairly young, it only gets harder as you get older!! Good luck, it is a constant struggle.
I am 22 going to be 23 in a month.

I'm not trying to lose weight quickly, when I started I was at about 270 and now I'm at 240. My goal is to get to 150, but I'm taking it easy, I don't want to rush to get there. I started losing weight in mid july and then I was sick from the end of July till about mid August. Then I checked my weight over Christmas vacation and I had lost up to thirty pounds, so I was happy. I'm not trying to get to the ideal weight for my height, which is ridiculously low, 100 pounds on my frame, I'd look like a skeleton... the highest weight being 130. If I get under 200 pounds I'll be super happy.

I've started dancing around my dorm room, since it gets me moving and helps me concentrate more on what I'm working on. My dorm hall does not have an elevator so I run and down three flights of stairs each day, and then in the one hall I have class in, I use the stairs (three flights of a lot of stairs).
Is it possible you are not eating enough, I know this sounds mad but I couldn't lose weight even with going to slimming classes, after discussion with a dietician it came to light that my calorie intake was so low that my metabolism had slowed right down hence no weight loss, once I started eating again(the correct type of food) I started losing weight.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Also a quick and dirty rule is make your plate half green...any vegetable that isn't starchy is great. starchy includes green peas (but I still love 'em) and beans, but beans can substitute for protein, good for the planet and us. Beans are high in fiber, you should look for high fiber foods.

That's why eating the whole fruit is ok versus juice. The new weight watcher's program allows fruit with no count to it, since the majority of us don't eat enough. I tend to eat more fruit then veggies, even tho I love veggies. If I could eat out all the time...salads are my fav, but they seem a lot of work to get a good one.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
unfortunately you can not "spot reduce" certain areas. Keep up your healthy eating. I agree, juice can be as fattening as soda, try to stick to water. Use sparkling water, or add some lemon,lime, or mint if you need some flavor.
Try to eat foods that grow from the ground or on a tree. Try to stick to foods that your great-grandmother would recognize. When you go shopping, think "ingredients" rather than "ready to eat meals". You will save money as well.
Try to incorporate more activity in your day. Take stairs instead of elevators. Park in the farthest spot in the lot and walk. If you are sitting at a task, get up once an hour for some stretching and moderate activity.
Your avatar looks fairly young, it only gets harder as you get older!! Good luck, it is a constant struggle.

I'm not trying to lose weight quickly, when I started I was at about 270 and now I'm at 240. My goal is to get to 150, but I'm taking it easy, I don't want to rush to get there. I started losing weight in mid july and then I was sick from the end of July till about mid August. Then I checked my weight over Christmas vacation and I had lost up to thirty pounds, so I was happy. I'm not trying to get to the ideal weight for my height, which is ridiculously low, 100 pounds on my frame, I'd look like a skeleton... the highest weight being 130. If I get under 200 pounds I'll be super happy.

I've started dancing around my dorm room, since it gets me moving and helps me concentrate more on what I'm working on. My dorm hall does not have an elevator so I run and down three flights of stairs each day, and then in the one hall I have class in, I use the stairs (three flights of a lot of stairs).
Is it possible you are not eating enough, I know this sounds mad but I couldn't lose weight even with going to slimming classes, after discussion with a dietician it came to light that my calorie intake was so low that my metabolism had slowed right down hence no weight loss, once I started eating again(the correct type of food) I started losing weight.
This is true! How many people have you heard say, "I just don't understand it. I haven't eaten a thing and I can't loose any weight"? When you starve yourself your body goes into starvation mood. Everything slows down. So you have to eat. I found this to be true. Eat the right things. Also, you can take B-Complex vitamins. They help with energy.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ritacarl
Originally Posted by loopywren

This is true! How many people have you heard say, "I just don't understand it. I haven't eaten a thing and I can't loose any weight"? When you starve yourself your body goes into starvation mood. Everything slows down. So you have to eat. I found this to be true. Eat the right things. Also, you can take B-Complex vitamins. They help with energy.
I started to eat three times a day when I came to school. The weird thing is, I've never been one for eating. Theres a history as to why I ended up overweight... and it involved the "clean plate plan" from when I was a kid. It was my Moms second husband and his parents who made me finish everything n the plate, I started to put weight on. Plus I was depressed while in grade school... so I ate through my feelings. When we left that horrible enviroment (that was the house of hell) my eating habits where up and down throughout school... then I left high school and I didn't eat as much.

I think my issue lies more in not being as active as I should be... since I started eating like a human and running up and down stairs all the time, has helped me to lose the weight. I just need to start doing more.

But I agree with the eating thing... after leaving school up until i came to college, I ate maybe once a day. Now I'm eating three times a day. So that has to be helping.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Try Sparkpeople.com! You will find a lot of advice plus places to track what you eat & track your exercise. They have a 28 day challenge going now! Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 PM

B. Louise: People who drink 2 8 oz. glasses of water before their meals exercise by running to the bathroom!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: