Amazon Prime

Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 AM

Default Amazon Prime

I somehow clicked on Prime by mistake and for once a wrong click is the very luckiest click I did!!!! Go figure. I love it but still trying to discover all I can do with it. It seems I remember on this board someone mentioned that you can share your account with other family members (joint account). I have a son living in a different town - is it possible to have him on it, different name (same last name), different address and different cc#? I can't find a place on Amazon that I can ask that question.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

It is definitely possible because we do it. I had to get an invitation or some info from daughter in law who signed them up first. Maybe google how to do it? Here is a number for Amazon customer service 1-888-280-3321
Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 AM

On amazon page go to my account and then manage my household. You can have two adults and 2 children on each account. I love streaming/downloading music and movies from Amazon. So much cheaper than iTunes cards
Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Amazon changed the rules a few years ago, but people who were already sharing accounts were apparently grandfathered in. I don't think you will be able to share your account with your son - sorry! https://consumerist.com/2015/08/03/a...benefits-with/
Old 12-28-2017, 06:04 AM

I don't know about sharing an account, but do call them. I have called them in the past, and they were so helpful. You can have him put things in your cart if you share you password with him, and it is very easy to have items shipped to him. We do this all the time for extended family. The only draw back to this is you are responsible for the bill.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 PM

What part of Amazon Prime are you wanting to share? Ability to get free shipping or PrimeVideo?

For shipping, I allow my son to make purchases and have them shipped to his address, he reimburses me for the cost of the product. For my daughter, she tells me what she wants and sends me the cash, then I place the order. I have both kids addresses saved in my account. My kids are very different and although I am not concerned about my son being able to order gods on my account, for my dd, I have to ask for cash upfront. She understands why and it works for us.

I just checked with my PrimeVideo account and I can register other devices to use it. I do not know how many.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

There are a couple of things you can do.

You can simply give your son your log-in information, which gives him access to all of the functionality you have. You can add multiple ship-to addresses to your account as well as multiple credit cards. Basically he could log into your account, use his credit card and his shipping address, and enjoy all of your benefits. The reason many people do not do this is because then the other person also has access to *your* credit cards, meaning he could purchase things and charge them to your credit card and you would have no recourse with the credit card company because you gave him this access. You might trust your son completely, but be aware that it's easy for a spouse or child to get in this way too -- especially with the password saving conveniences of modern computers.

The other way to add him is to create a household account. This means that you each have a different Amazon account, but you link the two accounts into a household that will share in your Prime benefits. Amazon used to allow many adults to share, but in 2015 they changed household accounts to allow 2 adults and 4 children. Here are links that explain what a household account is and how to set it up:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201806360
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201806380
Old 12-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Another perk of Amazon Prime is you get a free Kindle book per month. They let you choose a book from 6 titles.
I love Prime!

It's now called Amazon First Reads and I get an email the first of each month.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM

Great information! I just shared my prime with older son. Since he had a package stolen from his porch he can have them delivered at a local QT ( minimarket) that Amazon has set up computer and various sizes of locked boxes to hold the shipments. He types in the code sent to his phone and the box opens. Genius.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Saw Prime has changed about allowing others on the same account.
Does anyone know how the new plan works. Can I put an adult on with their own credit card etc and not be using mine.

Also how would shipping items be dealt with, to my address or the other adult address.
Too confusing for my pre-hip surgery mind to sort out.