American Food

Old 08-08-2010, 06:11 AM

In this area of PA you will see: pieorgies (see pics) stuffed with potatoes and cheese, or onions or sauerkraut. Also, chicken and waffles or chicken and biscuits (biscuits are baked, not cookies). My daughter is currently living in NZ and she says they don't know what fluffer nutters are. They are like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but instead of jelly, you use marshmallow cream or fluff (kinda like marshmallows in a spreadable form). Oh and at the county fairs you find funnel cakes. Kinda like deep fried cake batter with powered sugar (10X sugar) or cinnamon and granulated sugar sprinkled on them.

It occurs to me that none of these are much good for you, but yummy! Isn't that the way it is...if it is yummy, you probably shouldn't eat a lot of it 8-)

Pierogies
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93632[/ATTACH]

Funnel cakes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93633[/ATTACH]

Fluffernutter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93634[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-93627.jpe   attachment-93628.jpe   attachment-93629.jpe  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Twinkies are baked and shipped fresh. They're as healthy as anything anybody could bake in their home kitchen.

http://www.hostesscakes.com/twinkies.asp
I'm sure they are full of vitamins, too! Pick me up some Ho-Ho's & Ding Dongs while you're getting the Twinkies, please!--LOL.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Nursie76, your making me hungry. Those are great pictures.
Welshgem, would love to see some of your recipes.
I think 1 of my favorite foods here is French Dips. I make mine with a rump roast from the crock pot. I put butter on Hoagie buns and stick in the oven on broil and broil then when they are a bit brown I shread the meat onto the buns with swiss cheese and put back in the oven til the cheese is melted. I make the Aujus from the water in the crock pot. Great stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 AM

When I took a class at the college there was a kid from Mexico in the class and he said meatloaf was exotic food to him. There was a girl from Switzerland and she said fried chicken was exotic to her. Her father was Scilian and her mother British.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I love foriegn foods more than American foods. Aroung here the specialty is biscuits and gravy sausage and a side of counry ham. I do believe there is more fat ppl here then any other place in the world. I'm included in that fat ppl thing but am working on changing it.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Here in Indiana, we eats lot of famr foods - chicken, beef, and pork. I also grew up eating lots of corn and potatoes, but I have given them up since going on a diet (SO hard to avoid the sweet corn too!)

We also have lots of pickled things here, and I grew up where there was a lot of German influence, so you would see sausages and kraut. Our country is so neat because there is such a blend of cultures and foods here. it isjust normal to us to eat things from so many different countries!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I love foriegn foods more than American foods. Aroung here the specialty is biscuits and gravy sausage and a side of counry ham. I do believe there is more fat ppl here then any other place in the world. I'm included in that fat ppl thing but am working on changing it.
I'm with ya there. Growing up on a farm all that good stuff then has sure caught up with me now. Love biscuits and gravy. :thumbup: :shock:
Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by welshgem
I think twinkies stand out for me as they are mentioned so often in films :)
I got a chuckle out of this, because I have never had a twinkie!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Administrator

American biscuits are similar to scones. not exactly the same, but similar.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 AM

I grew up on white beans, cornbread, stewed potatoes, and fried any kind of meat. Dessert was sorghum molasses on the cornbread.

My favorite breakfast is biscuits and chocolate gravy.