Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ants!!!  Is there anything we can do aside from bait traps? >

Ants!!! Is there anything we can do aside from bait traps?

Ants!!! Is there anything we can do aside from bait traps?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 PM

I have tried the borax...they moved 4 feet away and made a bigger home. My DbA** neighbour tried to drown them with water, cold water during a rain storm. LMFAO. This year I am going with the cornmeal. Lucky for us so far they don`t come into the house. Love the cinnimon tip. I now know how to keep them off the neighbours deck.
I have also read where you can pour club soda on the hill and the carbon pushes out the oxygen and gets them.

Sigh, will try any thing to get the neighbour to shut up, looking forward to spring and would rather have the ants than him.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Ortho makes a good product for home and for Fire Ants that we have here in the south....Bug be gone is the name of the inside spray.....
Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
My husband set out several underneath my computer. Later found a colony *underneath* the paper the traps were set out on! There are several places in the house where there seem to be colonies. They're just normal-looking ants (not super small or super big). When they bite me on the back, though, they leave huge red welts, so I suppose I am allergic.

Help???
We sue the terro bait works great and each time they take it back to the colony it kills those who clean that ant and so on,you could make your own with sugar boric acid ( not sure if borax is the same thing) and water and place a few drops on a piece of cardboard,but if it is causing you welts I would do whatever it takes to get rid of them asap.I still stand by the terro for the ants ,when we had them this past week three days of terro fresh each morning took care of them completely and boy the amount we had was enormous The first piece of cardboard set out was covered so now mind you the terro cardboard has orange color ,you couldn't see the orange it was completely covered so we kept setting out more and more till they were happy,after the first day the original piece was completely gone no trace of it anywhere on the cardboard piece.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Dish washing liquid mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray across any area that you see them, and leave it to dry. Do not wipe off.

I have also heard that corn meal will kill them. They cannot digest it. I would try it, but sounds a bit messy.
that also works for your plants and or your veggie garden or flower beds. to do the gardens I would fill my miracle grow feeder with dish soap attach the hose and spray away. get the plants good and wet.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Salt sprinkled on all the paths and on door/window sashes works well, when I always grew up my mother always planted a peony plant away from the house. It was something that has been passing along down her mother's side for generations. Which reminds me I need a new one this year I moved. Plain old Dryed Bay leaves was the other custom we do as a pass down from the women in my mother side. Spring mean new leaves in kitchen cabinets, drawers etc.

If that should fail..... soak the hills in gasoline before it rains....... rain forces it in hills. Works on all types. If you want to speed up those big mound. soak half day & then bbq the little buggers!!

Tricia
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM

We've also used the Terro easy to use just put a drop on a piece of paper or thin cardboard in their path and it takes care of them. Try if you can to see where they are coming in by a window or door. We've had them come thru the tinest hole under the window frame or under the front door any little opening. You can also spray some Raid they have for ant's just a little bit to get rid of them at the moment but the Terro they bring back to the nest and it gets rid of them. Good luck what a pain they are. Sue
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Terro works the best have been using it for yrs.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
BIG ant infestations here on the farm every year. This year early on I tried CINNAMON! Sprinkled in all the windows, under the sinks, along floor boards in less than conspicuous places, behind the toilet, at the door jams.....so far it's working amazingly well, smells nice, and isn't a chemical. Bought the cheapest jar of ground cinnamon I could find; the ants don't have snooty tastes.

Jan in VA
I tried this method last year when I was viisting in MO. It really worked well. I used it on those normal sized ants; what my Mom called piss ants.
P.S. If you have fire ants here's a non-poison type method - You need to work fairly fast to avoid getting bit. Use a small sharp pointed shovel and take a shovelful of one mound of ants and place it on the mound of another ant mound; take a shovelful from that mound and place it in another mound or even on the first mound. You ideally have 3 or more mounds to work on. The reason it works is because fire ants are very territorial and go to "war" if an ant from anothr mound gets in their mound. It will take longer than poisons but at least it's good for the environment. (As long as you're not the ants).

Last edited by JBeamer; 04-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Cinnamon - yes, the spice you buy in the store - sprinkled liberally over their nest and around the exterior and interior walls of your home will help a lot.

My Mom told me that years ago, but I never tried it until I found an 'ant highway' - both directions - from my outside bedroom door to the pantry in the kitchen. It was fascinating to watch, but...

Had no bug spray at all so I took out my cinnamon and sprinkled it over the 'highway' and around the doors to the house. Two hours later, the ants were gone. Apparently, the cinnamon is toxic to ants; it messes up the sense of direction of the ant, and eventually kills those exposed to it.

Did the same at my daughters home where they were feasting in the kitchen area. Had to reapply every day in the kitchen, since we wiped the counters clean every day. The nest was somewhere in the basement, and I couldn't get to that.

Haven't had ants in the house since then. However, I do sprinkle cinnamon around the doors every year, just in case.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Gasoline pollutes the water supply. Please don't use that technique.