Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any hints to help with a little bit of empty nest sadness? >

Any hints to help with a little bit of empty nest sadness?

Any hints to help with a little bit of empty nest sadness?

Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 AM

I totally understand. I was just like you with all three of my boys. It is hard but we raise then to grow up and take care of themselves. Yes they are going to have lots of learning experiences but that is how they learn. We have to let go and move on to the next stage in our life. They are still our babies and you still worry about them no matter how old they are. It will get better as time goes on.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:39 AM

45 minutes away... Don't worry, if he's anything like mine were, you'll see him often. With more laundry than you can imagine!!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM

:)
Old 06-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

You are normal. We want the best for our children but we are human. Hugs to you.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
Hi,
Am feeling a little down. DS graduated from High School Friday. For the next two days, he's at his college's orientation. I am happy for him, really I am but part of me just wants to wrap him up in batting so he is safe and sound and doesn't get hurt by life. (I know, we all get hurt by life, it wouldn't be life if we didn't but this is how I feel).
I've never been a smother mother and these feelings are really surprising me. Has anyone else felt this way?
Thank you,
lots2do
PS He is not even going very far, just up the highway about 45 minutes away, but will live there.
We all go through it and I guarantee you and he will survive. You've done a good job as Mom and now it's time to let him show you what a wonderful Mother you've been. Sure he'll make some decisions you won't agree with but most of our kids survive and do just fine. He'll learn from what ever bumps pop up in life and as with you and all of us, they will make him a better and stronger person. My Mother had trouble letting go and I had to fight for the privilege of living my life and making my own decisions and I've survived it all just fun. Life wasn't always easy or a bed of roses but it's been a good life and I sure wouldn't change a thing. Our 2 children are now 45 and 46 and both have thanked us repeatedly over the years for being good parents and then allowing them the privilege of living their lives. They know we are here if/when needed and they will come to us because they know we'll talk them through their important decisions and help them figure out the best one for them - we don't tell them what to do; just guide them through the steps so they can decide what they want to do. If they make a wrong choice, they are the ones who have to live with the consequences or rewards of their decisions and when they make a bad one, they have always figured out how to make things work out. Your son will too. Just let him know you love him, are proud of him and are there if he ever needs to talk or needs help and then let him enjoy his life with your loving support and encouragement. Just my opinion.
Hugs
Patty
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Shadow Dancer said it all, but I still would like all 4 of my children home for dinner each night and be able to tuck them in at bed time. I miss those days, they grow so fast.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM

I feel the same way! I have great adult children, but I still would like to do it all over again. It does go by too fast!

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
Shadow Dancer said it all, but I still would like all 4 of my children home for dinner each night and be able to tuck them in at bed time. I miss those days, they grow so fast.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 AM

It's been a week now since graduation and since I started feeling a little down. I'm happy to report that we are all relaxed and happy (at the moment)! I am thankful for all of the encouragement received here.
Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM

A mother's job is to produce a child that will be able to leave the nest and survive well. Will be able to be a upstanding member of the community and the world. That is joy! I agree, cry of happiness that he is able to leave and be happy for him. Being an empty nester is GREAT!!! I love each of my six children, but I also love my husband and now we really have time for each other.

Originally Posted by Mamagus
Suck it up Buttercup! Would you be happier if he had been born with an illness that would have kept him home with you forever!? Be proud and happy that he CAN go. I have a good friend who cries each time she thinks of high school graduation a few years away for her son Josh. He has CP and will be with them as long as they can keep him home.

I agree with Renee. Cry but let them be tears of happiness. You have been blessed!