Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else putting their gardens to bed? >

Anyone else putting their gardens to bed?

Anyone else putting their gardens to bed?

Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 PM

The silly wabbits and Rocky Racoon's pretty much took alot of our veggies this year! Birds got to the grapes before we had a chance to cover them! Oh well, there's always next year!LOL!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I do not usually start this early, however Irene turned my garden into a twisted compost heap. I will begin cutting it back and cleaning it next week. Now I am getting ready to go to Quilt Extravaganza in PA.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Just walked around in my gardens today and they are looking like fall, but still a lot of lovely there, so I'll let them go a few weeks yet. We had a perfect summer with all the rain we needed during the hot spell. Winter coming... kinda sad.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Nope, mine is still OK, its unseasonably warm here and I am finally getting tomatoes and corn, although my melons never fruited and my peppers were all eaten by bugs.

The cukes are still coming and theres a few blooms on my ever bearing strawberries too...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM

It has been so hot that my garden had not done well until the last couple of weeks. The green beans are now going strong, orka is at least 8 feet tall (I have to take a hoe and bend the stalks over to pick it), cukes have been steady all summer but the tomatoes still are not ripening (full of blooms, just no tomatoes) It hasn't produce until now, and now I can share with two families down the road from us!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM
BMP

Ours has been tilled for 2 weeks now. Its early but it was finished with all the extra hot summer days and without much rain it was gone earlier than normal. Even my Blk Eyed Susans and cone flowers have been gone now for weeks.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:02 PM

I have just about given up on my garden and am letting it go back to lawn. Just not enough time and I am tired of battling weeds. I am still getting some nice tomatoes but this year will be the last.
I don't know how I had all the time and energy to do what I did 20 years ago. I was bending over to tie up the tomato plants today and my back was killing me.

I would rather be quilting anyway.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have just about given up on my garden and am letting it go back to lawn. Just not enough time and I am tired of battling weeds. I am still getting some nice tomatoes but this year will be the last.
I don't know how I had all the time and energy to do what I did 20 years ago. I was bending over to tie up the tomato plants today and my back was killing me.

I would rather be quilting anyway.
Exactly what I am starting to think. I've tried so hard the last few years with watering and weeding but the climate has not been kind for gardeners! Who wants to go out in the hot sun and do that when you could be in the A/C sewing? :lol:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 PM

We mow it down and till it under. We're done for this year. Thank goodness we have a well on our property just for our garden. This year our tomatoes had tons of blooms but very few tomatoes. Maybe next year.....
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Still going strong on cucumbers, corn, summer squash and tomatoes (although it hasn't been the best year for tomatoes for me), I won't quit the garden until late this month or really early next month. We had a very mild spring and summer until recently, then the heat finally hit. I'm having a ton of cucumbers and a friend is having a great tomato crop so we're sharing :) I haven't tried any winter crops yet. Maybe next year.