Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone else putting their gardens to bed? >

Anyone else putting their gardens to bed?

Anyone else putting their gardens to bed?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I spent all morning pulling dead weeds and plants out of what should have been our vegetable garden. whew, they are all gone at the moment. I did one half of it a week ago and just finished it today.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Ive had a tidy up and moved a couple of shrubs that were in the wrong place - only have a small garden so not too much to do - my biggest battle is with a wisteria that divides me and next door - spend time every day sweeping up the falling leaves!!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:22 AM

All the summer veggies are gone and pulled up, we just planted 3 kinds of lettuce, spinach and carrots--noticed yesterday we have little green sprouts coming up.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Swap Hosts

Hi Terry, I'm also on Long Island. I'm absolutely starting to put it to bed. The ocean rushed to the bay along the road one block from me, but missed our house, thank God. It has been an odd season. First too hot, causing end rot to a lot of tomatoes, then too much rain making them crack. My grapes did fabulously, but as I waited for the perfect time to cut them, I looked out the window and the vines were covered with birds! My last hope for the garden is in my fig trees.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 AM

Yes, I am getting ready to winterize my gardens too. I ordered a bunch of bulbs and perennial roots that are supposed to arrive the end of the month or early October, so I need to get the perennial beds prepared. Since we have had all this rain the ground should be easy to dig in. Problem is, this interferes with my quilting desires and the need to start Christmas projects.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 AM

Hail storm took care of ours about a month ago, including windows, roof, and siding.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 AM

I need to go out and start the fall process. I did get the garlic to ground but need to pull the green beans. My crop can on early this year and mow the plants are just taking up space. I'm leaving the tomatoes on the hopes that I can get in a few this year. Most of my plants were stunted and the ones that were not are just now blooming. Perhaps one or two to eat but certainly not enough for canning. I'll probably need to amend heavily next spring.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 AM

I have started. It has been such a crazy growing season. The terrible heat really kept alot of the garden from producing well...so I am going to clean it up early and get some compost and add to my beds. Give it a little "kick start" for next season.

It was one of the worst growing seasons I have seen here.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Little by little I am putting mine to bed. I hate seeing the color go.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM

I live in NW Louisiana. I had 2 crops this year. Tomatoes, peas and potatoes and then planted another type of peas. The temperatures stayed at over 100 for almost 2 months this summer and made it too hot for a 3rd crop. Everything is pulled and ready to plant next spring.