Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone ever have an incomplete mammogram? >

Anyone ever have an incomplete mammogram?

Anyone ever have an incomplete mammogram?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Just take things one step at a time. I have a strong history of BC in my family. Both of my grandmothers (one was a 27 year survivor) And my mother. (I lost her way to young, I was 31, she was 52) After her diagnosis I insisted they started mamos on me at 30. As others have said they would take the mammo and then I would wait for it to be read. 100% of the time they had a section they wanted to review closer as I was young and had dense breast tissue.It was always nothing. I was 40 when I went for my last mammo and went through the usual. This time when I met with the doctor she asked If I had time to stay for an US and biopsy. It was probably nothing but they wanted to make sure. I was nervous but just tried to stay calm. They gave me an appointment for two days later to review the results of the biopsy. The following day First thing in the morning I got a call from them that they needed me to come in and pick up all of my films and reports as the biopsy was positive. During the biposy they put a marker in the area of concern. I'm glad that they did that because even after I knew it was there, I felt nothing. I went to several breast surgeons and reviewed my results. None of the surgeons could feel it either but it was there on every scan, mammo, us, & MRI. We had the discussion of lumpectomy or mastectomy. My mom had a lumpectomy because she couldn't face the fact of loosing her breast. Unfortunately 9 months later it was discovered that it had metastasized into her lungs and we lost her 5 months later. Way before I was diagnosed I already had made the decision that if anything was ever found that I would to the mastectomy. Of course its alot different when you are facing the fact. After some debate I made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. I was also tested to see if I was a carrier of the BRACA mutation. It turned out that I was. So not only did I have the BMX I also had my ovaries and tubes taken out. (BRACA is a mutation that makes one a bit more suspectable for both breast and ovarian cancer. (My great aunt died from ovarian cancer). For me its been a long road but I have come out the other side and am doing well. Slammed into menopause isn't fun but its something I can (and have to) learn how to deal with. I'm very glad I went the route I did. The lab reports showed not only the initial cancer but I had at least 4 other areas of the breast that were showing DCIS (precancerous cells).

Now I'm not telling this to you to scare you but to tell you it IS scary but IF there is something its so much better to catch it now than later.

My biggest worry now is for my children. I carry the gene, my sister does not. I worry if I passed this on to them. My grandmothers were in their early 60's at diagnosis, My mom was 50, I was 40. I am terrified that my girls may have to deal with it in their 30's. (And there are many young ladies who do get diagnosed). The plus is that they are only 12 now and hopefully there will be alot more options and things available as they grow up. It was 10 years between my mom's diagnoses and mine and I can tell you what I went through and the options available to me were different then what my mom went through it.

I am coming up on my 2nd year of diagnosis and with the exception of the hot flashes, feel fine. I reconstitution done at the same time as the mastectomy and although it was a hard road, I am still here and plan on being here for along time.

Good luck and again just one step at a time.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 AM

I had a call back three years ago. All was good from the biopsy. So thankful for that blessing. Blessings.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Maybe my story will give you some encouragement. I am a 12 year survivor of breast cancer - had it in Oct. of 99. Two years later I had the 2nd breast taken off just so I didn't have to go through the mammogram and biopsy every six months for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I had the full mastectomy's - so many people we know who had the lumpectomy done eventually ended up with full blown cancer and are deceased. Let me add, prostheses aren't that bad to wear. I only wear them when I have clothes that need to be filled out in those areas. I hope you do well, and do let us know how you do.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by emt2004 View Post
I am scared stiff. Got a call to come back to have my left breast redone, while dr. was there to read it. said it could take 2 to 3 hours, may want to do ultrasound also. Anyone ever have this happen? I guess I am just a worry wart.......Michele
Yes, this happened to me too. Seems I have a vascular tangle that looks suspicious. I got called back for another picture, than an ultrasound. Then the radiologist (who never comes out into the light) approached me and scared the dickens out of me! He just wanted to apologize for the inconvenience and to assure me that everything was fine. Same thing happened the next year, and I imagine it will continue to happen year after year now. I'm told they can see through the spot and that it is nothing. I'm just glad to know they are careful.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM

I just went back for additional views on my left breast. had three small calcifications . all benign. we can get them as we get older. Don't be alarmed . just pray.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Happened to me. It was cysts. I have fibrocystic breasts. Ultrasound also. Was pretty nervous.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Happens a lot. Better to be safe then sorry. I used to get ultra sounds every time I got a mammogram because of breast cysts. One time I had to have a biopsy and it turned out fine.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

I have had this happen twice, so I understand your concern. In my case, when I went back for the second Mamm, the Pathologist, had me wait, so that he could give me the results right there, in about 30 minutes The second time I had a needle biopsy and also got the results that same day, after I waited about an hour. What a relief to hear the "all clear" Not having to go home and wait for the telephone to ring was really wonderful. Keep us posted, as we think about you and lend you our support.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Usually about every 3-4 years I get a call that they need to do an ultrasound. Honestly this has happened so many times, that I laughted out loud the last time they called. The receptionist was quiet and then said she has never had that response before.

You will breeze thru this.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM

As a breast cancer survivor (11 years at Thanksgiving) all I can say is that it is great that your imaging place is being thorough. You want a really good image so that IF there should be a problem, they can catch it early when it is small and treatable. Here is another thought to keep in mind: as women we all fear the worst case scenario. I had always prayed that it wouldn't happen to me. BUT...guess what? We are strong! We can deal with whatever comes our way. Going through the biopsies, surgery, radiation and chemo was not easy, but surprisingly, a lot less awful than I had feared in my mind. All you need to do is to take it one day at a time. I pray it will go well for you (most of these cases turn out to be nothing) but if the worst should happen, know that you can get through it, and contact me. Good luck!